Thread: Here we go again

Here we go again

Someone's been peeing where they shouldn't be peeing. I finally got it through hubby's thick skull that if somebody's been peeing on clothes and schoolbags and such, then all those jackets, sweatshirts, blankets, etc., need to be put away or in the closet where nobody can pee on them (now there's a major earth shattering concept )

Anyway, I kinda figured that the mystery pee-er was Pouncer, even though he's been drinking a lot of water and I haven't seen him straining in the litterboxes at all. Today was his vet recheck and Pouncer is LOADED with crystals... and now has an infection on top of it. I was sent home with Eukanuba low pH/S prescription diet (since he refused to eat the Hills SD diet) Wish me luck in getting him to eat this diet, since I think its not necessarily the food he disliked, it was the fact that he was locked in a room while everyone else got to eat food together downstairs.

I feel so helpless here. I have been doing everything I can for him and he's still sick. He's still only 2 years old, and the vet said it looks like this is something he'll have for his entire life. Sigh. I'll do whatever it takes to get him healthy and the crystals under control. Its just one more reminder that I am no longer able to take on new fosters -- I simply can not stress him out at all.

My Taranis has the same problem and it is likely that it will come back again and again for her also. I did get her to eat the Hills SD, but I also gave it to the cats who share the downstairs with her - one 14 year-old and two 2-year olds. The vet said it would be fine as long as it didn't go over 2 months. She was clear after 6 weeks. The problem for me (my thread on Problem Puss) is that these diets are inclined to cause weight gain. The Holy Grail of cat food for Taranis would be one that controlled the crystals and caused her to lose weight. I don't think they have developed that diet yet.

Is there a reason why your other cats can't share her diet? Are they already on other special diets?

Poor Pouncer.
    I Know That Pouncer Angels Is Trying To Guide Him To The Litter Box.
    We Pray That He Will Eat His New Food And That Will Give Him Some Relief From The Cyrstals.
    We Are Praying For Pouncer To Be Well.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie
    Is there a reason why your other cats can't share her diet? Are they already on other special diets?
    Have you seen Harry and Allen?!?! Those boys are too heavy already, let alone feeding them something that will make them gain more!

Besides, I am also not comfortable with feeding them the prescripton diet because its meant to help combat struvite crystals. What if Harry has the opposite problem where his urine has too much acid and the food causes him to form calcium oxalate crystals? Those used to be pretty rare, but are becoming increasingly more common as cats have access to foods that correct the struvite crystals.

The good news is that Pouncer has eaten his new food twice already and seems to like it. Lets hope he likes it well enough tomorrow morning ot happily eat it alone in the room while everyone else chows down downstairs.

POUNCER!! You have got to quit being such a problem child for your Meowmie!
    Gee whiz boy, your best friend is your VET!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

be a good boy, Pouncer, and keep eating that food Mommy bought it especially for you!!

Cannot you feed the others seperate from Pouncer? I is not easy, but it is worth the try
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Maya & Inka's mommy
    Cannot you feed the others seperate from Pouncer? I is not easy, but it is worth the try
    I do feed them separately when someone needs adifferent diet. But Pouncer mouns and complains that he's alone. He must think he's missing something great. So he sits at the bedroom door complaining to get out. The others sit outside the bedroom door trying to get in. I let him out, and he goes flying downstairs to eat what the others haven't finished. Everyone else comes flying into the bedroom to eat what Pouncer did not eat

The others sit outside the bedroom door trying to get in. I let him out, and he goes flying downstairs to eat what the others haven't finished. Everyone else comes flying into the bedroom to eat what Pouncer did not eat
    Sort of like me in a restaurant, I always what what the next table has ordered.

Good luck to Pouncer.

I'll tell you my story (trying to keep it short). Many years ago 1 cat (then a 2nd and then a 3rd) were found to be forming crystals (struvite). It wasn't until after 1 bladder stone removal operation, 1 catheter insertion for blockage and (luckily) the third was caught before this point, did the vet suggest ALL cats could be put on the c/d. That was 21 cats ago and only Rutherford formed the calcium oxilate stones. Was it due to the food? Perhaps. But the food has been a God-send to me and I will NEVER change unless a different prescription food is needed (as in Rutherford's case).

Oh dear! Poor Pouncer, and poor Mommy! HUGS!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Does Clavamox work?It did for tucker.2 times a day for 2-3 weeks.If they operate would it be gone for good?My Madeline had it bad but she could not pee at all.No meds or food worked for her.The doc that did the spading really messed up her bladder (At least that's we think anyway)and we had to put her down.It showed sand and crystals in her bladder)Nothing MY vet did helped her.It made me so very sad.I really loved her.
    Last edited by catfamily; 03-11-2006 at 06:00 AM.

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

Kim, I'm so sorry to hear that Pouncer has crystals again. I've been going through this with Storm too and he seems to be fine as long as he's on his special diet. I was a very bad meowmie and let him eat another diet for a while and then he developed crystals again. I feed all of my cats the Royal Canin S/O diet and this is supposed to help both struvite and calicium oxalate crystals. I feed them both the wet and dry food and they all love it. Here's a link to it: Royal Canin S/O diet. It is expensive but I think it's very much worth it to keep my cats healthy. Good luck.

I'll ask my vet about the Royal Canin. I don't care if its expensive! If all my guys can eat it and everyone agrees that its yummy, then I will gladly pay for it. The way I look at it is if it keeps me from this constant worry and having to spend hundreds of dollars in vet fees, then its worth every penny.

Jen, now I am confused! My vet said my guys absolutely cannot have the diet that Pouncer has to reduce the crystals. Once they crystals are gone they can all eat the same food, but not while we're trying to dissolve them.

Someone asked me at work last night if I thought vet insurance was worth it. I said it depended on the pet. If I had known Pouncer was going to turn out sick like this, then YES vet insurance is worth it. If they turn out healthy like Nicki who gives me minimum problem every year, then no its not worth it to me.

Jen, now I am confused
    Sorry, I was speaking of the c/d which he will get later as a maintenance diet. Not the s/d that he needs right now. oops.

This may be a long shot, but try giving this place a call and see what they recommend. http://www.petmedicinechest.com/feline/Default.asp
    I've started Bo on the sinus stuff and pro-bac to see if this will help her allergy problems. I figure what have I got to lose? Good luck to you!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers