Thread: Petsmart new rules??

Petsmart new rules??

I'm back to bellyache about Petsmart again. My rescue has the Luv a Pet center. Petsmart has hit us with a bunch of new rules.

1. They expect us to have a volunteer there every evening from 4 to 8 pm.

(I guess they haven't figured out we're VOLUNTEERS and haven't won Powerball, so have to work for a living!)

2. The expect us to be there from 10 to 4 on Saturdays for Adoption Day.

(I guess they don't realize that said VOLUNTEERS have houses, kids, yard work...)

3. They won't let use eat on the floor.

4. They have our table so far from our portable cages that we cannot monitor the situation properly.

I think it's time to pull out of Petsmart. I don't know what we will do, but faith manages.

I think they have it in for my rescue group. Someone else wants in the lovapet center. Meanwhile, they let NOrthshore come every Sunday to Northern Westchester and steal all our potential adopters!

Grr.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Anyway you can file a complaint to the management?? I mean, afterall, you guys were there first, before Northshore. I don't think it's fair to allow them to conduct adoption days, which undermines your chances for adopting out needy kitties too.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Petsmart new rules??

MMMMM I am sorry you are upset with Petsmart.. I am like Donna I would turn in a complaint to the manager.. I know most of the adoption reps. at the Petsmart by me & they dont have all those rules & problems here.. I hope you can work things out..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Sorry your having all these problems with Petsmart.they sound like real jerks there.I know this has nothing to do with it but I have alwas like Petco better then Petsmart
    Last edited by Zippy; 04-09-2006 at 07:20 PM.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

I think a letter to the top brass is in order. I volunteer with TWO groups that have 2 separate Petsmart adoption centers. #1 has very few restrictions. AM and PM cleaning and they can do adoption days any time they like. #2 wants more participation on the part of the rescue group (but nothing like you are speaking of). It is AM and PM cleaning and at least 1 shift sometime during the day to exercise cats and great people. The more time a volunteer is there the better, but no exact demands. Both Petsmarts do allow other rescues to come in as per their schedule to do adoption day events.

I too think they want to force you to leave in order to bring in another group. I would not give up without a fight!

I can look up the top brass numbers for you -- I work there. I can tell you that what they are saying is NOT standard company policy. It sounds like they are trying to force you out so another group can move in. That is showing favortism and that is not allowed.

Talk to management

First, I would talk to management and see if things can be arranged that BOTH agencies can work together. With soo many animal rescue groups out there, the more the merrier! Who knows, the two groups may be able to "share" their volunteers so you can fit into the new restrictions.
    Here's my "constructive critiscism". Does it ONLY have to be one volunteer for the 4-8 and weekends? Can't different volunteers split up the times between everyone? Maybe one can work only 2 hours and another pick up the slack. That should still leave time for someone to have a "life".
    I can understand the "no eating on the floor rule". It's extremely unprofessional. Most employees I know in "retail" aren't allowed to eat on the floor. (Petsmart is retail). Plus you have many people coming in and out with animals smelling the food. This can cause some serious issues with pets if they smell food.
    I am not a big Petsmart fan myself. I've worked at Pet stores in the past. They usually come into business to close down the competition. Smaller pet stores can't compete as well.
    There are other ways of getting your animals out there besides Pet smart or other stores like that. How about fleamarkets? Special events like charity walks or other charity events? News media or newspaper. Cable advertising is BIG here with one local rescue organization. (Although they are the worst rescue group ) The internet is a really growing oportunity. Find other avenues to get your message out. You may be surprised and successful at it! Why limit yourself to Petsmart?
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

Thanks for all your feedback. About the "no eating" rule, I didn't realize we had access to the break room, and I realize about the animals being attracted to one's lunch.

The thing about the 4-8 PM stuff is that we have a small group, and it's all we can do to have enough cleaning and feeding coverage.

It's interesting that Catnapper says this is not policy from headquarters. If it is local store policy, than local store management is lying to use. This is egregious and needs to be taken up with Phoenix.

There are inconsistencies, too. They have very high standards for what they want for the Love a Pet center in terms of hygiene. Yet, they have wild birds flying free in the store; the break room and restrooms are often dirty, there is often no TP, paper towels or soap in the restrooms. There are pallets full of stuff in the aisles creating a trip hazard. If they throw us out, we are considering taking media action.

The thing about the 4-8 PM stuff is that we have a small group, and it's all we can do to have enough cleaning and feeding coverage.
    This is the exact problem of the group I help in store #1. They are a very small group so they asked my group if there was anyone willing to help in return for use of a cage. So in other words, all adoptions appear to go through the main group, but actually some of the cats are from this other group.

Are there any associations in your area with similar rules and proceedings that you are on good terms with that you can ask for some cooperation from? (gee, I hope that made sense to someone other than me )

That sounds like it might be a plan. There's another group that goes on Sunday. There are 10 cages; maybe we can "pro rate" cage allotments based on coverage. That group could help clean and feed too.

The only fly in the ointment is that the group in question broke off ours a number of years ago due to differences in adoption philosophy, but we may have to join forces to help us both deal with Petsmart.

Just wanted to let you know that we appreciate groups like yours that do go through the hastle of dealing with PetSmart to find homes for these animals. My rat, McCoy came from such a rescue group working with Petsmart, and he was a pitiful, pathetic guy, permanently scarred from mites and with a head-tilt, scared and never been handled- but now is such a sweet and cheeky guy! In my opinion, though, their requirements for your groups should be on a bell-curve- depending on the number of workers you have.