Thread: Not a pleasant subject but...........

Not a pleasant subject but...........

I was petting Keegan's back and when I got down to where her tail is I thought I felt a swelling on her right side. When I prodded around on it she tried to nudge my hand away, doesn't seem to bother her when I do it to the other side. I am wondering if is an infected anal gland. Shaianne had one but hers was easier to see b/c she was alot less hairy then Keegan is!! And when Shaianne had hers it looked like she had swallowed a golf ball and it was trying to come out!!!!
    Keegan hasn't really been licking or messing with it any more than normal that I have noticed. She hasn't had trouble with bowel movements. Sometimes when I think she should go she doesn't go for awhile so I am also wondering if it hurts b/c of that then she waits so long that the gland might get plugged.
    She eats veggies which keep her stool pretty soft unlike Shaianne who wouldn't touch a veggie with a 10 foot pole but had pretty soft stools anyway which is a trait of greyhounds.
    Keegan is so young tho, with her age is it likely that she has plugged glands or a mom that is just paranoid b/c her last baby had it too? The vet told me big dogs are unlikely to have plugged glands but it is possible.
    Along the lines of the food, Keegan doesn't eat anything like Shai did. They aren't on the same brand of food or treats at all, so I can't blame myself b/c of her diet.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I would call the vet tomorrow morning and see what he/she says. If it's causing her pain, she should probably be looked at at least. Just my 2 cents worth...I'm like you...I'm a paranoid mom...Dr. B. knows our phone number by heart now I call his pager so often! lol

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Oh, me too! I'm calling the vet for any little thing, just want to keep my furbies in good health! I would at least call a vet and see what they think.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Dixie has had anal gland problems since she was about 6 months old. I have to express them reguarly to keep them from filling. The vet showed me how so I would not have to keep bringing her in to have it done. Maybe that is all that needs done but I agree, if she is in obvious pain, contact the vet.

You are a good momma to be worried something may be wrong and wanting to fix it. Please give Miss Keegan a kiss on her hairy little lips for me!

I have battled the anal gland war before. I had to take my maltese once a week for about 2 months and finally the condition stopped as quick as it came. My vet said that it was normal and most dogs excrete their own glands when they go to the bathroom. Sometimes those glands get clogged and so they fill up. If you leave it for to long, it will smell real bad. Good luck!