Thread: fleas on 6 wk.old babies

fleas on 6 wk.old babies

Help! Our son just adopted two six week old kittens - and they are infested with fleas. He spoke with after hrs vets, pet store people, and his own vet. Some said to dilute sponge- on med, but our vet said to do nothing - just try to comb them out until they're 8 weeks old. There has to be some home remedy that won't hurt them - the poor little things just scratch all the time. Plus Michael's condo will be infested too.

ALSO - is there anything to put in certain areas in the house where they tend to have accidents, to keep them from going back there?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Don't know what to tell you about the fleas. I think for the flea shampoo, the kitties need to be a little older (and Adam's Flea and Tick works well). Sorry! As for accidents, I've used Nature's Miracle for my kitties and puppy when they had accidents. It's a cleaning solution that breaks down the enzymes in urine so that they can't smell where they have gone before - preventing them from going there again. I hope that helps a little
    mom of Noah and Mason

Fleas and adopted kitties almost always go together!

Yes, combing the kittens is the best idea until they get older. However, you can do something about the fleas in the house and carpet as long as you get everyone (human and animal) out of the house. Flea bombs actually do work, in my experience. Follow the directions, especially about the number of bombs to use and the time to wait. Don't overdo, it won't help.

You can bathe the kittens in warm water (no soap), which should also help get the fleas moving so you can find them - a basin with water up to their tummies should be enough - hold on to them carefully - and watch out for tiny SHARP claws. They will whine and cry, but they are waterproof, except in their ears. Pour water all over, and towel dry in a warm place. Don't try to wash more than one at a time -

The fleas like to hide in warm safe places - especially on the neck, tummy and back legs by the um, er, output areas.... comb them three or four times a day - there isn't any instant answer for this!

Give them lots of love and tickles and sweet talk while you are doing this - it will help you bond with them too! Good luck to you all!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

When Snow cat was a kitten, one of my neighbors gave me a bottle of "Tiny Tiger" flea and tick shampoo because he had fleas. I still have it. The panel on the product does not state how much to use on a kitten, but you could dilute it with water. Whenever I gave Snow Cat a bath with this stuff, it certainly killed any fleas that were on him. However, in flea control, I have found that by keeping them off an older pet, will usually not allow them to breed on the younger ones. I certainly recommend combing them with a flea comb. Just keep something next to you that will instantly kill any fleas that you comb out of their fur or otherwise, they will jump away.

If you have fleas in the rug or in the house you can use a spray called "Hot Shot" roach and ant killer. This product is made from flowers and does not contain any petroleum distillates and comes in a red spray can. Just spray down the rug all over the house and it will kill fleas. Perhaps some of the others will have better suggestions, but what I have had experience with is what is related to you here.

...............wayne