Thread: Smelly Pee??

Smelly Pee??

HI group, what causes bad smelling pee? My two chi's are having a problem with this. I keep their area clean, but every evening when I come home. The whole house smells of their poo and pee. I can't stand it any more, something has to be done. Is this a sign they might have something wrong with them? What could be the cause of acidic pee? Could it be too much protein in their diet?

No diet problem

No matter what you feed your dog or yourself, urine and poo will smell. Chlorophyll pills may help a little but don't bank on it.

It sounds more like you have dogs which are not house broken. You do not say how old your dogs are. The older they are the harder it will be to crate train the dogs. By area it's assumed you are confining them to a small room such as a bathroom, laundry room, or area with tiled floors for clean up. Two small dogs even in a small bathroom will have more than ample area to continuously relieve themselves in. They will go in one part of the area, and sleep/play in the rest. Furthermore if you leave just one molecule of urine or feces behind upon cleaning they will smell it out and go there again.

You might want to contact your Vet and see if there are reputable dog trainers in your area that could help you get started on training. You can try crating inside and possibly have a neighbor let them out at noon everyday for awhile. Or since its summer construct a pen outside in an effort to get them to do their chores outside rather than in your house. Frequent trips outside praising them when they go outside, and scolding them when you catch them in the act inside. My 3 yr olds now wait for me to tell them the best spot to go at outside.

I agree that that you need to work on house breaking your dogs. It's never too late to start. My chihuahua was 6 years old when I adopted him and he wasn't a a bit house broken, but it didn't take long to train him.

If you don't want them to go outside then I'd at least train them to go on pee-pads . When they go in the house clean it with a cleaner such as Natures Miracle which has natural enzymes that completely rid the spot of any oder.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

I have two Chihuahua’s, and they are crate trained. They use pee pads during the day while I am at work. And when I get home I have an area in the yard I let them go potty. The reason why I said clean up is because they do pee on the pad. But if any of it gets off the pee pad I want to make certain that is cleaned up. There pee smells like any other dog that is well taken care of. But of late that has change to a very powerful smell. When I clean up the area, and the pad. The smell goes away. So I know it isn't pee that is lingering. My dog Pip had that same smell pee when I gave him greenies. I had to stop giving it to him, because he got an infection. So I just thought some one might be able to shine some light as to why their pee would start smelling. What could be in their diet that would cause that. Is it too much protein?

You may have just answered your own question in the last post. You said your previous dog had a similar smell when he had an infection. Have you been to the vet to rule this out for these two dogs?

Are the dogs neutered? I've cleaned up my share of dog pee (I'm a groomer) and I swear unneutered male dog pee smells the worst!

No their both fixed. And I was pretty certain it was what I was feeding them. I just want to know what could have been in the product that causes such a reaction. So I don't feed it to them again.

Opps forgot to mention, the last time this happen I had pip looked over. My vet said that he was just reacting to the greenies. To just keep water down him, and it would clear up on it's own. It wasn't bad or anything, other then his slight discharge. And the horriable smell he had to his pee. So what could be in greenies that I have to avoid with other products I feed them? The new product I started them on was Missing Link. So if that is out, what can I feed them to help them with their coats?

I would try Omega fatty acids, such as those in Lipiderm or other fish oil products. Their coats should improve with daily use.

I also give my dogs yogurt in their food daily. Mostly to prevent gas, but it also helps their overall body odor. It sounds like your dogs need more water in their diet to dilute their urine. You might also compare the ingredients in their food to other brands. I found that Nutro keeps the odor down for both my dogs and the cats. I switched the cats (all 12) over from a cheap brand a couple of months ago and noticed the odor reduction right away. Since my dogs go outside, it was less obvious, but you might be able to see a difference since yours are inside. What food are you feeding?

I feed them California natural lamb formula. I didn't have a problem with their poo or pee smelling before I fed them the Missing Link stuff. I did have a problem with their skin being too dry, and dandruff. Hence the reason why I was trying something that said it helps in that factor. I will have to get some Omega 3 for them. Thanks for all your help.