Thread: Toronto Pet-Store Rescue - THS Adopta-thon

Toronto Pet-Store Rescue - THS Adopta-thon

Hey All,

The Toronto Humane Society is having an adopt-a-thon this weekend, after rescuing 133 animals from an abandoned pet store (heard on the radio this morning). It looks like the adopta-thon will run from Today through the weekend, trying to find homes and make room for some of these poor critters of all types (cats, dogs, birds, reptiles, etc.) -- you can read more at:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...ls-rescue.html

http://torontosun.com/News/TorontoAn...63009-sun.html

From the reading, it sounds like a horrific thing ... the animals had been abandoned for at least 3 days with no food or water, and many had died. One of the quotes that mad me particularly angry was

"But the strangest sight of all was a king snake housed in the same cage as birds, THS spokesman Lynda Elmy said. "Those poor things must have been petrified," she said, describing the sound of distressed birds as deafening."
    (from the Toronto Sun article).

It looks like its a free-adoptathon for animals already at the shelter, but not for these particluar ones (they are needed for the investigation first), and the adoptathon is to free space up for these new arrivals.

The society will waive adoption fees and include vaccinations, six weeks of pet insurance, a microchip ID implant, discount coupon for pet food, and a pet care information booklet.

Poor critters. I hope they find the owner of the store and shove them in a cage with a poisonous snake. No fish, I'd be the first in line for the fish. Too bad I'm so far away, we need a free adult dog. The struts on the van need replacing so it looks like getting a new dog will be postponed again unless we can find an adult for cheap. No problem feeding a dog, but the 300+ dollar adoption fee put us out of the running for most adoptions. I hope all the animals find good homes.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Those poor things. Atleast some were rescued in time.
    I'm way too far away, but if it was closer, I'd be there in a heartbeat to help.
    I hope they all successfully fine a loving home that they deserve!

... also

Oh, to clairify ...

The "Open Your Heart Adopt-a-thon" runs from today (friday) until Sunday, August 20. Adoption fees have been waived, and adoption includes:

- vaccinations to date
    - six weeks of PetCare insurance
    - a microchip identification implant
    - discount coupon for Royal Canin Inc. puppy/dog food or cat/kitten food
    - pet care information booklet
    - unconditional love

Most of the older animals are already spayed/neutered as well

This is at the River Street Humane Society location -- more information about the rescue at:

http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/...2006/aug17.asp