Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please keep Minnow in your thoughts today

Please keep Minnow in your thoughts today

My sister's cat Minnow, who is a really sweet natured white female, needs some positive thoughts sent her way today.
    She has been sluggish the past month, and this weekend she was really sick. She is completely constipated, and won't eat at all (over 4 days since she last ate or used the litter box). She was at the emergency vet last night, as it was a holiday yesterday in Canada and her usual vet was closed. The emergency vet thought that it might be one of two things, either she has some kind of blockage or it may be a tumor. She had some x-rays taken last night, and we will hear this morning sometime what the results were.
    The poor little thing is in pain too, every so often she will let out a growl or yelp. She is laying on the floor right now sort of crouched over, trying to sleep.
    Has anyone had experience with something like this? Is there any way to get her "unconstipated"?

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that I will keep her in my thoughts.

And sorry, I have no idea how you can help with a constipated cat... I know I usually eat prunes but I don't know if that would work with a cat. I think that it's just best to wait for the xray results and not give her all these stuff to help her constipation cause it might just get worse. Like if she gets diarrhea from something you give to help her and she becomes all dehydrated and so on... Of course I'm not a vet though, this was just my thoughts!

Keep us posted please.

Please sign my guestbook if you have the time

Please keep us updated and let us know how she improves.

Sorry to hear about poor Minnow. I have no suggestions either, but I thought Ann's idea that it might be best to wait was a good one. Not knowing what the problem is, you don't want to make it any worse. Hopefully you'll hear soon and they'll be able to do something. Also, if you haven't heard by the time her regular vet opens, I would call them and take her there also, just in case. Doesn't hurt to get two opinions especially if she's in pain. Good luck and let us know what happens.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I'll certainly keel Minnow in my thoughts for any length of time needed for her to get better.

Prayers on the way for Minnow. I wouldn't give her anything to unblock her. As bad as the blockage seems to be, anything like that could cause serious harm. Let the vet handle this one. All four of my cats are sending headbumpies for Minnow to help her feel better. Please keep us posted.

Just heard back from Minnow's vet. He wants her to come in for surgery.
    The x-ray shows a baseball sized lump in her intestine. The vet thinnks it is probably stool, but as it is huge and cement hard it will have to be surgically remove. He also said that giving her a laxitive wouldn't have helped at all, probably would have just given her cramps.
    Poor Minnow! I'm glad to know that she will be in good hands tomorrow, but I'm still really worried for her. I am glad though that it isn't likely to be cancer.
    I'll post again tommorow afternoon when the vet calls.

Yes, at least they don't think it's cancer. Poor Minnow. But I'm glad she'll be ok after the surgery. Hugs and smoochies to Minnow and family, and please do keep us updated.

Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

Connie is so right! Many humans make the mistakes of treating themselves for "constipation" with sometimes disasterous results; especially if it is accompanied by pain. If there is an obstruction or outpouching or tear in the bowel wall, you do not want to put any further pressure on the colon. It is best to wait until the vet has done a complete exam and has diagnosed the problem. I would though keep an eye out to make sure that Minnow is drinking enough fluids. Keeping her hydrated is very important! We'll be hoping and praying that Minnow makes a full recovery. The thought of her being in pain and so uncomfortable is heartbreaking. Please keep us updated. Hugs to you dear little Minnow.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

From writing my reply to posting, the good news is in!! Poor baby! Impacted!!! Thank goodness it is not cancer. I'm so sorry she has to go through the surgery! But it sounds like she is in good hands; and very loved! Let us know how it goes!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Poor Minnow - so sorry she's in pain and hopefully the op., tomorrow will make her feel so much better. She's in my thoughts.

Lynne

Fingers and paws are crossed here. We will hold sweet Minnow in our thoughts and prayers. {{{Minnow and here worried humans}}}
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Fingers and paws are crossed for Minnow here too. I sure hope her surgery goes well and she finally feels better. My cat Pepper has a condition called Megacolon. He was constipated and had to have an enema. Now he's fine but has to be on medication for the rest of his life. The medication is lactulose. Good luck.

Update-
    I just got off the phone with Minnow's vet. She had surgery this morning. She is in recovery now, and has had a small drink of water, and has walked around her cage a few times. Best of all she hissed at the cat in the next cage, which means that her personality is back to normal
    The vet removed almost 2 baseball sized lumps of stool. He said it was hard as rock, and wouldn't have come out no matter how much laxitive she took. Minnow will have to take stool softeners for the rest of her life.
    Boy I'm glad that she's ok. I didn't sleep well at all last night for worrying. She will probably come home tonight.
    If you want to see a picture of Minnow you can go to:
    http://pets.burnerkitty.com/3145 .

Oh I'm so happy Minnow is doing ok. She's a beautiful kitty and I hate to think of her being in pain, but she's soon to be all better so that is great news! I'm glad she got to the vet in time and it wasn't anything more serious like cancer or anything. Hopefully with her stool softeners now, she'll live out a nice long life.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012