Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do your dogs eat grass to make themselves sick?

How often do your dogs eat grass to make themselves sick?

I know this is normal behavior. I have owned dogs all of my life. Ripley is the only dog, though, that I have ever had who seems to do this somewhat regularly. I would say at least once every two weeks he will go outside and eat grass and throw up out there. Sometimes it is as often as weekly. He is definitely not a food driven dog and sometimes even turns up his nose at treats. There are days, however, that he can really *pack it away.*

Bella has never, in the five years that I have had her, eaten grass. She has only thrown up twice in five years that I am aware of. I don't remember any of my other dogs eating grass sort of regularly.

With both of the dogs that I have had it seems to me that they seem to eat grass more during the change of seasons (spring/summer and then again fall/winter). I have always wondered if it was some sort of throw-back to living in the wild and the changes their bodies made when living out in the elements. Peaches almost never got threw up after eating grass, Ginger does a little more than half of the time.

My dogs rarely ever eat grass, and if they do, they never throw up because of it.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Since we've moved (this past may) my dogs have been eating more grass that ever before. There is one area in my yard that they, especially Jake, like to nibble on. They almost never eat to the point they throw up though. Maybe it just tastes good?
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

My dogs are year round grazers and never throw it back up. They just love eating grass.

Fozzie just likes chewing on grass, and Gonzo never does. I can't remember the last time Gonzo threw up & Fozzie has never thrown up since we've had him... so I can't answer that.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Eating grass when a dog needs to puke is a complete myth, lol.

If it were true, my dogs would have some sort of serious disease!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

My dogs eat grass constantly, especially the boys. They really like it right after a good rain! They RARELY get sick over it though!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Kaedyn's a constant grazer.. but he never gets sick. Shelties just like to eat.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Meg my labrador used to constantly be in the garden eating grass after we fed her, we always joked that she was bulimic but we got worried so we changed her food and she still done it, shes grown out of the habbit but she still does it every so often and she is rarely sick afterward

Misty is my Grazer, I call her a cow she grazes so much, but she has never thrown up from it. Electra eats long grass sometimes but not often and doesnt throw it up either. the rest dont graze at all.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I don't think I've ever seen Finn eat grass, but, if he has when I wasn't looking, it's not made him sick. I'm not sure about Freckles and Dudley...
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Oh Ripley, you silly pup, why do you make your tummy hurt??

My two like grass but usually only after a rainstorm. Then they will snatch at it as we go for a walk. I don't usually let them get too much because I don't like them to get sick.

Speaking of Ripley and Bella, I think we need some new pictures!!!!

Just today Star was eating grass and threw up. this is pretty rare for her, she never throws up. She does eat grass occasionally. Sherman loves grass! I've never seen a dog eat grass like he does! Doesn't seem to make him sick at all.

Sadie does that sometimes - she will eat grass and throw up - so I try to stop her from eating it and I think she hasn't done it in a while. I used to think she ate it and did not throw up but then I started seeing the heaving. After vomiting she grazes again. A lot of stuff she does doesn't make sense and she doesn't seem to understand why I stop her.

Pam - Sadie sounds a lot like Ripley - it became fairly regular for her and she turns her nose to treats all the time, definitely not motivated by food (I blame her poor training on that fact, how could I reward her?)