Thread: Dog Grieving

Unhappy Dog Grieving

Hi Everyone:

I have a friend who's dog is grieving. She recently lost her other dog and the only dog she has left is grieving. She is over 8 years old and just started chewing. Never did this before. I think it's just a matter of time but I'm not an expert on this one. Any ideas on what to do? Thanks.

Smile

Hi Angel----are your friends considering getting another dog soon? If so, this might be a good time to do so. If not, I suggest they give the lone dog more attention. More short walks, playing with a ball or favourite toy, more grooming. Keep the dog as busy as possible and everything positive. Maybe visit friends who have dogs.To stop the chewing, give a nice big knuckle bone, this should keep the dog busy for hours and will satisfy the chewing urge.

I have told her that the only thing that might work is to get another dog. I know how she feels. It's probably not the right time for her or her husband. I know it wasn't for me either. But if the dog is suffering, we have to think of them first, right? I think she may get another, but I was just wondering if there is something to do in the meantime. I'll mention the knucklebone. Thanks Mike.

It took my Sasha 8 months to get over Sami's passing. She spent all of her time in my walk in closet, just laying there on the floor. I thought she might die. She wasn't interested in much of anything, I worried so. But then she snapped out of it, realized that she was the top dog now and has been ok ever since. She is 12 years old. She will now play like a puppy, she'll tell me stories and woo woo me (border collies don't do this do they???). She's a totally different dog and I'm so happy that I let her work thru it and didn't get her another friend.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I'm glad Sasha snapped out of it, even though it took a while. The bad part about getting another is that, one day, that one will be going through the same thing. Or - you can have something worse - when my one died, my other developed severe anxiety. So I rescued another that was 5 years younger than mine. The rescue died a year later and my Sherry really suffered then. After that I had to keep taking her to work with me and every place else I went. I couldn't leave her alone at all. She was iin bad shape losing another. Sometimes it doesn't work the way we plan.