Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Who licenses dog trainers?

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr
    Do you EVER stop??

This bickering every night is incredibly annoying and why many long-term PT'ers no longer frequent as much as they used to.
    I know many people who stay away now
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Goodnow
    Sorry mike001 I have the same credentials and experience, that is how I know borzoimom btw no D in her name dearest.
    And you wouldn't get on a waiting list with me ever.
    I prefer to work with people whose animals aren't brighter than they are.

Dr Goodnow---I wouldn't be standing in your line. I prefer open minded non judgemental trainers who prove themselves in the public eye.
    But thank you for the compliment...yes all my dogs are very smart, each and everyone having a cgc, td, cd, cdx, ud, tx and shutzund. Agility and flyball I consider playtime for them, but they also have their titles for that also.
    I guess my training isn't that bad after all.
    I think I'll go order my service dog capes now.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleLJ
    Ummmm that was rude. I think you need to take a step back. and take a deep breath. You have no idea how intelligent her dog is so to start that was really uncalled for.
    Nicole
    Thank you Nicole that was very sweet and to be honest I don't need intelligent dogs, I love them for them and have no need to "show off".
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Popcorn anyone???
    LOL!! I mean, really lauging out loud!!

As I stated previously, I don't want the government getting into licensing trainers. Not only does the red tape boggle the mind (try getting an agility school zoned in a city in America...talk about red tape...I'm over my head in it right now), but having the government dictate what I might or might not teach is dangerous. I'm ab all-positive trainer. What if the government decides that force training is the best and only method we should use. I refuse to use those methods. They destroy agility dogs. What if the licensing requirements are that I must conform to those force training rules...use of training collars, no clickers, no treats, etc.

The government does need to regulate abuse. No doubt there. But to require a license? Not a good idea to get the government involved.

If you want to find a good trainer, look at the trainer's students. How do they do? Do they meet the expectations you require? Visit class. Do the dogs act happy? Are the people happy? Are the dogs well-behaved for the class-level? Does the trainer offer good class management?

If you're looking for competition training, look further. Look at titles. Look at show results. Especially look at students' results. Ask around. Pull students aside and ask. With a little groundwork, you can find some excellent trainers out there.

I have hesitated posting the following, as I fear it sounds like I'm a braggart. However, here goes. While I did receive "accreditation" for free from a previous dog training employer, I do not have any "certification" or "license," as they are useless. (As was the "accreditiation") Even so, I usually have a year long waiting list and am told my reputation locally is spotless. Word has come back to me that some are calling me the best agility trainer in the state. (I do not agree, with that, BTW. There is one other trainer who exceeds me) Do I need a certification to get a rep like that? No. I need good training techniques, students who excel at the sport and my own dogs who excel as well.

You want to find a good trainer? Don't look for certification. Look for results.
    MACH Aslan RE, MX, MXJ, EAC, EJC, OCC, Wv-N, TN-N, TG-N, R-SN, J-SN, R2-CL, CGC, TDI, FFX-AG (five year old sheltie)
    Jericho OA, NAJ, R1-MCL, CGC, FFX-AP (three year old sheltie)
    Laika NAJ, CGC (nine year old retired American Eskimo)

I've been defrosted.

Quote Originally Posted by mike001
    Dr Goodnow---I wouldn't be standing in your line. I prefer open minded non judgemental trainers who prove themselves in the public eye.
    But thank you for the compliment...yes all my dogs are very smart, each and everyone having a cgc, td, cd, cdx, ud, tx and shutzund. Agility and flyball I consider playtime for them, but they also have their titles for that also.
    WOW
    and you being disabled and all I am impressed..........with the dogs you bought.
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

WOW you have SUPER DOGS. Never knew a dog with expertise in so many areas. As for the service dog capes what does that have to do with anything?
    Nicole

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom
    Thank you Nicole that was very sweet and to be honest I don't need intelligent dogs, I love them for them and have to need to "show off".
    Your welcome.
    Nicole

Quote Originally Posted by agilityk9trainer

You want to find a good trainer? Don't look for certification. Look for results.
    That was the best statement all night. Great post.
    Nicole

Popcorn anyone???
    WHAT THE HEY.. Can I have extra butter on mine???

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleLJ
    That was the best statement all night. Great post.
    Nicole
    Thank you. And I agree that Caseysmom's dogs are probably quite bright.
    MACH Aslan RE, MX, MXJ, EAC, EJC, OCC, Wv-N, TN-N, TG-N, R-SN, J-SN, R2-CL, CGC, TDI, FFX-AG (five year old sheltie)
    Jericho OA, NAJ, R1-MCL, CGC, FFX-AP (three year old sheltie)
    Laika NAJ, CGC (nine year old retired American Eskimo)

I've been defrosted.

WOW
    and you being disabled and all I am impressed..........with the dogs you bought.

Of course I bought my dogs. I didn't consider myself breeder material. I've been in dogs for over 25 yrs, so yes, I do have a lot of experience.
    And you claim I am disabled because I get titles on my dogs?
    By the way, my dogs alays came from reputable breeders that could show me everything I was looking for in a Shepherd.

Of course I bought my dogs. I didn't consider myself breeder material. I've been in dogs for over 25 yrs, so yes, I do have a lot of experience.
    And you claim I am disabled because I get titles on my dogs?
    By the way, my dogs alays came from reputable breeders that could show me everything I was looking for in a Shepherd.
    No I assumed that as you claim to have service dogs for your issues.

Your words not mine.
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Quote Originally Posted by agilityk9trainer
    Thank you. And I agree that Caseysmom's dogs are probably quite bright.
    Agilitytrainer- you have shelties- and they are know for intellegence in the "dog world". Were you NOT able to train them by your self, you would look for a multi facet trainer- would you not? Because the breed is known for high intellegence - yes you would.
    Same with shepherds etc. As a trainer needs to be on different levels for the highest of performance. Your experience with a high intellegent breed - would make you look for this right??? Thats the point- .. that doesnt mean caseymom doesnt have a smart breed- I do not even know what breed she has- but had she have a "intellegent breed" she would look for a multi facet trainer. Just like someone with border collies etc.
    I do not know caseysmom at all. Never heard anything positive for me to look into it, but thats the point. Certain breeds need more stimulation than others- and thats a fact as you well know..

nachos if anyone wants them. The bar is now open.. but I do not have much- anyone care to contribute???

Can you print the post where I said that please?