Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Who licenses dog trainers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ceph
    lol, that makes sense....It's why I am enrolled to take pet CPR

Where can you get licensed in Virginia? Is there an overall state licesning or just an area one.
    Its not by area its by state. I will find out from you know who down there where she got hers and let you know. You are not that far from here, and that should help..

Borzoimom on the website you posted it clearly states,

ANYONE can call himself or herself a dog trainer, so certification can be important.

There are currently NO STATE LAWS that require a Dog Trainer to have any special license or education.
    If this information is wrong they need to correct it.

They also clearly state:
    The NK9DTA does NOT set standards of skill or competence for members. Membership in the NK9DTA is open to all National K-9 School for Dog Trainers’ graduates who pay membership dues and are currently in good standing.
    In other words, no matter the amount of competence or incompetence--all one has to do is keep their dues up and they're certified dog trainers.
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

I don't know what it's like in the United States but in Canada, anyone can call themselves a dog trainer. Heck, anyone can call themselves a "certified dog trainer".. just print out a certificate and there ya go!

I teach private and group classes. I've never been certified (though joining CAPPDT is on my to-do list).. everything I know is through hands-on experience and trial and error. I've mentored with behaviorists and trainers and have gone to seminars, but I've never been certified.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Alot of places do not require certification. I actually did it because I could get a license and a "bonded" . .. shoot- we had one lady teaching classes a few years ago- lolllllllllll.. I will leave the rest alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceph
    yes, but the statement regarding no hands on training and just getting mailed a cert. in the mail was inncorrect. You made it sound like there was no work involved. I did make a mistake in interpreting what you were looking for.

I suppose some states require liscensing in dog training, but mine doesnt that I know of....I figure if they dont require it in Equine training which is far more dangerous and can have much worse outcomes they wouldnt require it for canine training...I could be wrong...it's something I'll look up.
    Ceph I didn't read enough of the site to see that they actually do offer hands on training since I was looking primarily for information on licensing. Please accept my apology!

don't know what it's like in the United States but in Canada, anyone can call themselves a dog trainer. Heck, anyone can call themselves a "certified dog trainer".. just print out a certificate and there ya go!
    lol so true, Happys breeder teaches training classes. know how many dogs she has personally trained with any success out of 20 or so dogs? 1. quite the feat eh? I know my mom asked about teaching classes at petcetera and they told her she needed to be certified. know how to get certified in Canada? go online pay some club 20 buck, they hand you a certificate and wala! your a certified trainer!
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Quote Originally Posted by applesmom
    Ceph I didn't read enough of the site to see that they actually do offer hands on training since I was looking primarily for information on licensing. Please accept my apology!
    Apology accepted...thank you

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    lol so true, Happys breeder teaches training classes. know how many dogs she has personally trained with any success out of 20 or so dogs? 1. quite the feat eh? I know my mom asked about teaching classes at petcetera and they told her she needed to be certified. know how to get certified in Canada? go online pay some club 20 buck, they hand you a certificate and wala! your a certified trainer!
    Good point- know your schools- ... lol.. Just like the CKC ( not canada) will hand you a registration on a mutt- its not worth the paper its printed on.. lol.. If you really need a licensed trainer- know what school you are checking out...

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    Alot of places do not require certification. I actually did it because I could get a license and a "bonded" . .. shoot- we had one lady teaching classes a few years ago- lolllllllllll.. I will leave the rest alone.
    borzoimom perhaps we're mis-communicating here. It sounds like what you have is a business license to practice dog training. That's not the information I'm looking for.

When I see an ad that says "licensed" dog trainer I visualize an organization or city, county or state agency that oversees ALL dog trainers in that specific area. One that has set rules, guidlines, qualifications and testing for licensing. As far as I can see the industry isn't truly monitored by anyone and "licensed" simply means the individual or company might have a business license.

borzoimom perhaps we're mis-communicating here. It sounds like what you have is a business license to practice dog training. That's not the information I'm looking for.

When I see an ad that says "licensed" dog trainer I visualize an organization or city, county or state agency that oversees ALL dog trainers in that specific area. One that has set rules, guidlines, qualifications and testing for licensing. As far as I can see the industry isn't truly monitored by anyone and "licensed" simply means the individual or company might have a business license.
    Obviously we are miscommunicating. Not sure about your state, but here its only a accrediate school they will accept for a license. Alot of licences are harder to get in the state of Virginia. I have no idea about your state. Mine is a certification from a great school- at the time it was a longer course- and even the acceptance into the school was quite an honor. Obviously your state is different..Even licensed electricians, HVAC, builders etc do not have an " organization.."

Obviously your state is different..Even licensed electricians, HVAC, builders etc do not have an " organization.."
    Yes they do have an organization that oversees their activities. It's called the registrar of contractors.

We're not getting anywhere with this one. There is not one place on the internet that invalidates the statement from the website you originally posted.
    There are currently NO State laws that require a Dog Trainer to have any special license or education.
    What you are describing that you have is a business license. That isn't what I'm looking for. I'm looking for laws that license and regulate dog trainers, monitor their activities and guarantee some sort of standards and professionalism.

Currently they don't exist anywhere in the United States.

Yes they do have an organization that oversees their activities. It's called the registrar of contractors.

We're not getting anywhere with this one. There is not one place on the internet that invalidates the statement from the website you originally posted.

What you are describing that you have is a business license. That isn't what I'm looking for. I'm looking for laws that license and regulate dog trainers, monitor their activities and guarantee some sort of standards and professionalism.

Currently they don't exist anywhere in the United States.
    Its not a business license.. You do not get it what we are saying.. its a certification obviously NOT done in your state. Remind me not to take dog classes there. ..

Applesnon,
    There is no blanket org that oversees or for that matter requires you to have a certain amount of experience or success. There is no state, or county or government agency that sets even minimum standards.

There are several places that you can be certified, and all it means is you passed basic knowledge and have recieved in most cases, some hands on work with dogs.

I know several trainers, that have this certification and I wouldn't trust them to teach a dead dog to lie down.

I know several people that have no certification, that I would happily hand over my animal to.

That being said, if you think there should be an org. I will support any efforts you want to make and help anyway I can. As there should be some place to be able to look up a persons abilities and sucess or failures, and also a place to keep accurate info.

Kym
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Goodnow
    Applesnon,
    There is no blanket org that oversees or for that matter requires you to have a certain amount of experience or success. There is no state, or county or government agency that sets even minimum standards.

There are several places that you can be certified, and all it means is you passed basic knowledge and have recieved in most cases, some hands on work with dogs.

I know several trainers, that have this certification and I wouldn't trust them to teach a dead dog to lie down.

I know several people that have no certification, that I would happily hand over my animal to.

That being said, if you think there should be an org. I will support any efforts you want to make and help anyway I can. As there should be some place to be able to look up a persons abilities and sucess or failures, and also a place to keep accurate info.

Kym
    I agree- that is why I would not touch a licensed trainer that was not recorded with the better business bureau. That makes a traceable record..

Its not a business license.. You do not get it what we are saying.. its a certification obviously NOT done in your state. Remind me not to take dog classes there. ..
    I get it! Certification and license are two completely different things. I could become a "certified" dog trainer in Arizona if I chose to. I CAN'T become licensed because licensing for dog trainers isn't in existence anywhere in the united states.

That's my concern!