Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Who licenses dog trainers?

I am listed with the BBB for my rescue, for training, for Service animals, for my small shop, for the soaps that Jasper makes, and also for several other endeveours. BBB simply keeps track of complaints.
    It doesnt regulate any of my endevours.
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Goodnow
    I am listed with the BBB for my rescue, for training, for Service animals, for my small shop, for the soaps that Jasper makes, and also for several other endeveours. BBB simply keeps track of complaints.
    It doesnt regulate any of my endevours.
    Exactly! And you are listed with the BBB but NOT licensed by them.
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

Quote Originally Posted by applesmom
    I get it! Certification and license are two completely different things. I could become a "certified" dog trainer in Arizona if I chose to. I CAN'T become licensed because licensing for dog trainers isn't in existence anywhere in the united states.

That's my concern!
    ONE MORE TIME- by being licensed- that means you are certified by a accrediated school, and carry a license as a way of recording. Just like a doctor- you can have a medical degree- but that doesnt mean you are licensed. You have no recordable record without a license. The license records complaints etc. WITHOUT A LICENSE- a doctor even can practice- but you accept the outcome. We also see this in the news all the time as well. Its a recording method of certifacation.

Do you have a certification as a dog trainer??? Its not a business- its traceable by certifacations.

Exactly, I am licensed to conduct these businesses, in my state and my town and my county. A few of them do have national orgs that we have to re test ever yr or so to prove we are keeping up with new info and practices.
    But the BBB is like a D&B number. BFD. I have several of those too. Doesn't mean my soap is any better than Jack Jones on Main St. Means if you don't like it or my attitude or it's lather you may file a complaint, BBB will ask me to behave and play nice, If I do I get a cookie and no black mark if I don't them I get a black mark for running with scissors.

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    Do you have a certification as a dog trainer??? Its not a business- its traceable by certifacations.

Shelly, you know I am a certified trainer, and a certified Service animal trainer. What guarantee is that? For all anyone knows I beat my dogs with carrots when no one is looking.

Shelly, you know I am a certified trainer, and a certified Service animal trainer. What guarantee is that? For all anyone knows I beat my dogs with carrots when no one is looking.
    lol, I am sorry, but that's sort of an odd mental picture....why carrots might I ask? Wouldnt something more menacing be more appropriate?

ROFL.. true.. But you did take the certification- the license just makes reports as traceable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceph
    lol, I am sorry, but that's sort of an odd mental picture....why carrots might I ask? Wouldnt something more menacing be more appropriate?
    They hate carrots

I never knew...lol, thanks...thats another thing to file in the good to know category. Thanks.

Well my guys love carrots.. Lol.. Kym I have no clue what they do in your state.. lol. But carrots- Hottie wants some.. lol. And thanks for the giggle of that image!

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    This is not about me or you. It's about licensing! The point is that there is no licensing currently available or necessary for dog trainers other than in some cases a business license.

As the site you posted stated, anyone can put out a shingle as a dog trainer--no dog trainers license is necessary or even available.

This is not about me or you. It's about licensing! The point is that there is no licensing currently available or necessary for dog trainers other than in some cases a business license.

As the site you posted stated, anyone can put out a shingle as a dog trainer--no dog trainers license is necessary or even available.
    ( bangs head on computer..) okay - put it this way Applesmom- your certification is listed as what the license is .. does that help?? Maybe you cant put certification numbers on your license in YOUR AREA, but they do here! My license is only under that one thing- it doesnt mean I can open a store under that licenese.. does that help??? I.E.- you have a car drivers license- you have a number to "drive"- that doesnt mean you are " licenced " to drive a truck! Does that help you to understand it????

Please don't hijack the thread with nonsense.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me a state that provides licensing for dog trainers that is anything other than a business license.

just out of mild curiosity why is it such a big deal. Owners will make decisions based on what think no matter what the licensing is. They are going to look at the credentials, what they have done in the past, what they've turned out, who've they've worked and trained with. And if the trainer sucks, they'll go somewhere else....The owners are with them the majority of the time arent they? It wouldnt be that hard to judge a buffoon who knows nothing from someone who has an idea of what they are doing.

Edit : I for one am probably going to get a job at petsmart for a year or two because that way I can get more experience in a controlled environment and work more with dogs...after I feel comfortable I'll move on to my own business in all liklihood. If I do well, people will come with me and I will have refrences and a pretty decent resumee...if not I close within a year...its kind of like natural selection.