Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Who licenses dog trainers?

Quote Originally Posted by applesmom
    Please don't hijack the thread with nonsense.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me a state that provides licensing for dog trainers that is anything other than a business license.
    As I said in my earlier post. There is none Applesmom.

No regulatory society in any state.
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    ( bangs head on computer..) okay - put it this way Applesmom- your certification is listed as what the license is .. does that help?? Maybe you cant put certification numbers on your license in YOUR AREA, but they do here! My license is only under that one thing- it doesnt mean I can open a store under that licenese.. does that help??? I.E.- you have a car drivers license- you have a number to "drive"- that doesnt mean you are " licenced " to drive a truck! Does that help you to understand it????
    Yes it helps me to understand that it's a business license to run a dog training business.
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceph
    just out of mild curiosity why is it such a big deal. Owners will make decisions based on what think no matter what the licensing is. They are going to look at the credentials, what they have done in the past, what they've turned out, who've they've worked and trained with. And if the trainer sucks, they'll go somewhere else....The owners are with them the majority of the time arent they? It wouldnt be that hard to judge a buffoon who knows nothing from someone who has an idea of what they are doing.
    I dont know either. .. My license is based off of certification. Like my husbands license is for commercial- that DOES NOT MEAN he can do residual. Virginia- a license has to be for a specfic purpose. But we have more laws than any other state too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Goodnow
    As I said in my earlier post. There is none Applesmom.

No regulatory society in any state.
    Thank you!

Yes it helps me to understand that it's a business license to run a dog training business.
    YOu have to be certified if its a dog training school. Can you teach classes without it- yes- but a place like a high school for liablilty of traceable reports will not let you teach classes in their property if its a state run school. Its traced off of the number on your license.
    I know Virginia is complicated, but I am not the law maker. Now if I build a building- and its not state run, yes- all I need is a license to run the business- including all activities. Does that help???

Thank you!
    You're welcome.
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Quote Originally Posted by Ceph
    just out of mild curiosity why is it such a big deal. Owners will make decisions based on what think no matter what the licensing is. They are going to look at the credentials, what they have done in the past, what they've turned out, who've they've worked and trained with. And if the trainer sucks, they'll go somewhere else....The owners are with them the majority of the time arent they? It wouldnt be that hard to judge a buffoon who knows nothing from someone who has an idea of what they are doing.

Edit : I for one am probably going to get a job at petsmart for a year or two because that way I can get more experience in a controlled environment and work more with dogs...after I feel comfortable I'll move on to my own business in all liklihood. If I do well, people will come with me and I will have refrences and a pretty decent resumee...if not I close within a year...its kind of like natural selection.
    It's not a big deal Ceph. It's simply a topic for conversation, and hopefully a chance to educate pet owners that the term, "licensed dog trainer" only means that the trainer has a business license.

As you said, the proof is in the results; not the advertising!

How about this as an explantion- maybe it will help you. I teach classes twice a week at a highschool. In order for me to be in that building- if I were a teacher- I would have a diploma- as a trainer- I have to be licensed with a traceable certification in order to be in a state run school. Stupid?? I agree- but that is what they require. They do allow anyone with a 'degree/certification" " unlicensed " to teach at the school.
    I have no clue what they do out where you are, or even where Kym is- thats the way it is here.

Man- I need to move. Apparently where you are, any tom dick or harry can do anything with nothing ever asked about it or traceable.. Jeez.. I get tired of paying this stupid thing every year and reporting address changes etc.. Or carrying the stupid thing with me.. jeez.. lol.

Years ago a friend of mine who was a teacher applied for a position as a dog trainer at a community college. She'd only trained a couple of dogs through novice in obedience, but she got the job.

Why did she get the job? She had a masters degree in teaching.

How about this as an explantion- maybe it will help you. I teach classes twice a week at a highschool. In order for me to be in that building- if I were a teacher- I would have a diploma- as a trainer- I have to be licensed with a traceable certification in order to be in a state run school. Stupid?? I agree- but that is what they require. They do allow anyone with a 'degree/certification" " unlicensed " to teach at the school.
    I have no clue what they do out where you are, or even where Kym is- thats the way it is here.
    Perhaps I could understand better if you could post what your license says.
    Leave out everything personal of course.

Years ago a friend of mine who was a teacher applied for a position as a dog trainer at a community college. She'd only trained a couple of dogs through novice in obedience, but she got the job.

Why did she get the job? She had a masters degree in teaching.
    I have no clue.. Even if I teach at a state park, I have to have it. I can teach in my yard or other private property but not on a state run location. I have no idea what your laws are. And certifications have to have a number or other form of number/letter form to record. They can not be something you print off yourself.

Perhaps I could understand better if you could post what your license says.
    Leave out everything personal of course.
    I will make a copy of it- but most of it is personal information and I am not going to put that on a public forum including my certification number with. And you know EXACTLY why...

I will make a copy of it- but most of it is personal information and I am not going to put that on a public forum including my certification number with. And you know EXACTLY why...
    You don't need a copy. Just type what it says. There aren't that many words on a license of any kind.

This is my understanding from reading through the post -- please correct me if i'm wrong

Using examples sort of ...

Ex. 1: If i want to drive a car, I need to get a license because it is a government regulated deal. No license, no car. Dog Training is not controlled by the government, so the gobbment wouldn't have anything to do with issuing a license.

Ex: 2: At my previous workplace, I got a license to drive a Forklift with a 3rd party licencing agency (Hyster), because my company mandated that I had to. This is not an industry recognized license, and would not necessarly be transferrable to another company. The same could be said for dog licensing -- like I get a job at "Dog Training'R'US", and they mandate as a company policy that i get a license from "ABC Dog Training" in order to fullfill my job. I have a 'license', but its not certified against a centralized licensing board like a government standard, or even an industry standard (like Electricians might, using an earlier posted example). This means that my forklift license is only as good as the paper it was printed on, and as resume fodder, so something similar could be said about a dog training license.

Now correct me if i'm wrong -- there is no single entity or dog training industry that would maintain a record of individual licencing practices? This would mean that each workplace, school, accreditation institute, etc. are responsible for handing out licenses, and may work concurrently with each other. However, like in Ex.2, a Dog Training license may not be recognized from workplace to workplace, state to state, or country to country etc.