Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Who licenses dog trainers?

Quote Originally Posted by applesmom
    You don't need a copy. Just type what it says. There aren't that many words on a license of any kind.
    State of Virginia
    Name -address- certification number- .. received from.. on date, last renewal -- , licensed by number ( state number) certification for following --- ( sch./ puppy/intermediate/ advanced/ handling-show, police training of corp/ tracking/ seach & rescue. Subject to re-certification on - ( date), subject to license - ( date). This license is granted only under items listed with no further action granted. Bearer of license is currently bonded, and insured, with certifacations as listed above. Signed- issuer date. Verification of certication by - ( name of person on file or last checked person) on date -

Quote Originally Posted by applesmom
    You don't need a copy. Just type what it says. There aren't that many words on a license of any kind.
    I am curious what that says too.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Frog
    This is my understanding from reading through the post -- please correct me if i'm wrong

Using examples sort of ...

Ex. 1: If i want to drive a car, I need to get a license because it is a government regulated deal. No license, no car. Dog Training is not controlled by the government, so the gobbment wouldn't have anything to do with issuing a license.

Ex: 2: At my previous workplace, I got a license to drive a Forklift with a 3rd party licencing agency (Hyster), because my company mandated that I had to. This is not an industry recognized license, and would not necessarly be transferrable to another company. The same could be said for dog licensing -- like I get a job at "Dog Training'R'US", and they mandate as a company policy that i get a license from "ABC Dog Training" in order to fullfill my job. I have a 'license', but its not certified against a centralized licensing board like a government standard, or even an industry standard (like Electricians might, using an earlier posted example). This means that my forklift license is only as good as the paper it was printed on, and as resume fodder, so something similar could be said about a dog training license.

Now correct me if i'm wrong -- there is no single entity or dog training industry that would maintain a record of individual licencing practices? This would mean that each workplace, school, accreditation institute, etc. are responsible for handing out licenses, and may work concurrently with each other. However, like in Ex.2, a Dog Training license may not be recognized from workplace to workplace, state to state, or country to country etc.

EXACTLY
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Dog trainers do not have to be licensed or certified in any way to call themselves professional dog trainers. Unlike professions
    such as doctors, teachers, or dentists, there is no body governing
    all dog trainers and requiring standard techniques or qualifications.
    Anyone can call themselves a dog trainer, regardless of their level
    of experience, methods, or skills. Most dog trainers have
    no formal education in canine behavior but instead acquired
    knowledge and experience through hands-on apprentice/internships
    with established trainers, working in animal shelters, boarding
    kennels, or doggie daycares, attending seminars, and training
    their own dogs.
    Choosing a good dog trainer

Q- What are licensed and certified dog trainers? Q- What are licensed and certified dog trainers?
    There are only two types of licensed dog trainers. They are: Guide dog trainers, who train Seeing Eye dogs and Sentry dog trainers who train Police dogs. Only these two types of dog trainers are licensed by the state. ALL other trainers are not licensed. A certified dog trainer is a bit ambiguous at this time. By this, I mean that there are many trainers who just decided to become a dog trainer, who have little or a lot of experience, and who went to a school and got certified. Since there are no requirements to become a pet dog trainer, the field is wide open to anyone who feels they have some knowledge of dog training to call themselves a trainer.
    There are only two types of liscensed dog trainers

Hiring a Dog Trainer

How can you know who you’re hiring?
    There are no licenses required to call yourself a dog trainer. State and national governments do not regulate the industry. There is no group that looks at what’s covered at a school for dog trainers to make sure it’s accurate and adequate.
    Hiring a dog trainer
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Frog
    This is my understanding from reading through the post -- please correct me if i'm wrong

Using examples sort of ...
    However, like in Ex.2, a Dog Training license may not be recognized from workplace to workplace, state to state, or country to country etc.
    Exactly!
    I am enjoying this because apparently alot of states do not do this. Leave it to Va. to slam us with laws.. lol..

Quote Originally Posted by binka_nugget
    I don't know what it's like in the United States but in Canada, anyone can call themselves a dog trainer. Heck, anyone can call themselves a "certified dog trainer".. just print out a certificate and there ya go!

I teach private and group classes. I've never been certified (though joining CAPPDT is on my to-do list).. everything I know is through hands-on experience and trial and error. I've mentored with behaviorists and trainers and have gone to seminars, but I've never been certified.

Wherever did you get the idea that in Canada we can call ourselves dog trainers and teach without certification and licensing? We go to the same college as we do for horse studies except take dog studies, We first have to have put five dogs through cgc, td, cd,cdx,ud, tx and shutzhund. We then have to judge at matches and local shows for 1 yr. Meanwhile we are also volunteering to do classes for our kennel club. When we do get to judge an obedience show, we do so under the supervision of a renowned judge who marks us as we judge. You have to judge 5 formal shows . Then an obedience judge will put you through your paces and watch you handle a class of dogs and will certify that you are eligible to teach on your own. Meanwhile, if you intend to make a career of this you can apply for a licence. The reason many don't apply for a licence is because of the tax grab.
    Sure, we have pet stores that will hire young people to train in the store, but it isn't exactly training, more socialization. The dogs don't even learn to sit.
    But isn't there always going to be self made trainers who think that following a book or watching a video qualifies them?

Quote Originally Posted by mike001
    Wherever did you get the idea that in Canada we can call ourselves dog trainers and teach without certification and licensing? We go to the same college as we do for horse studies except take dog studies, We first have to have put five dogs through cgc, td, cd,cdx,ud, tx and shutzhund. We then have to judge at matches and local shows for 1 yr. Meanwhile we are also volunteering to do classes for our kennel club. When we do get to judge an obedience show, we do so under the supervision of a renowned judge who marks us as we judge. You have to judge 5 formal shows . Then an obedience judge will put you through your paces and watch you handle a class of dogs and will certify that you are eligible to teach on your own. Meanwhile, if you intend to make a career of this you can apply for a licence. The reason many don't apply for a licence is because of the tax grab.
    Sure, we have pet stores that will hire young people to train in the store, but it isn't exactly training, more socialization. The dogs don't even learn to sit.
    But isn't there always going to be self made trainers who think that following a book or watching a video qualifies them?
    Its like that here, but the prior titles were part of acceptance in the school to have you certified. In order to be on the higher levels you have to have demonstrative proof of prior handled titled dogs..

Licensing for dogs trainers doesn't exist in any state in the US. Period. You DON'T need a license to open a dog training business anywhere - including Virginia. You just hang out a shingle and go. How do I know? I'm a professional trainer who networks with trainers from all over the country.

Certification can come from "schools," however, it really doesn't mean anything. Many of these "schools" are scams, and charge excessive amounts of money for something you can do in a local training club. The only certification I like and have any respect for is APDT. However, even that isn't monitered. A trainer could sign up with APDT, stating they engage in positive training, and turn around and use shock collars.

Borziomom is wrong on this issue. Hands down. No state requires dog trainers to be licensed. Dr. Goodnow has posted the correct information all along. I find people who say that certification or licensing is important are those who have paid large amounts of money to get these worthless pieces of paper.

Why is it important to know if licensing really exists or not? Simple. Students who don't know put their trust in this worthless piece of paper. They feel it has real teeth behind it, when in fact, it doesn't. So, they are basically being taken for a ride. As far as proving you're bonded and insured, all you have to do is show a student your insurance papers to prove that. You don't need a license. I wouldn't waste my time or money on any of these gimicks.

As far as ABC certification, some certifications do require some training and hands-on. experience. This type of certification would carry more weight than others. However, a person who goes this route is paying thousands of dollars for experience and training they can get at a well-run local training club for free. I'm afraid many would-be trainers are getting taken advantage of in this type of program. Yes, there is training. No, it's nothing you couldn't get on your own for free working in your local dog training systems.

Borziomom, your insistance that Virgina is different is amusing. I remember that one thread where you also insisted that large dogs couldn't do agility in AKC in Virginia only as well. I would be very interested to see any proof of your statement that Virigina requires dog trainers to be licensed. As everything governmental wise is on the web in my state, I'd think you'd find the same in your's.
    MACH Aslan RE, MX, MXJ, EAC, EJC, OCC, Wv-N, TN-N, TG-N, R-SN, J-SN, R2-CL, CGC, TDI, FFX-AG (five year old sheltie)
    Jericho OA, NAJ, R1-MCL, CGC, FFX-AP (three year old sheltie)
    Laika NAJ, CGC (nine year old retired American Eskimo)

I've been defrosted.

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    State of Virginia
    Name -address- certification number- .. received from.. on date, last renewal -- , licensed by number ( state number) certification for following --- ( sch./ puppy/intermediate/ advanced/ handling-show, police training of corp/ tracking/ seach & rescue. Subject to re-certification on - ( date), subject to license - ( date). This license is granted only under items listed with no further action granted. Bearer of license is currently bonded, and insured, with certifacations as listed above. Signed- issuer date. Verification of certication by - ( name of person on file or last checked person) on date -
    So what this a certificate from a class or issued by the government?

I have been frosted!

Quote Originally Posted by mike001
    As far as I know, there isn't a law stating the requirements for someone to call themselves a dog trainer. There are places to get certified and recognized.. CWCC, CAPPDT, Prewitt, APDT, etc.. but there isn't one sole organization that all trainers HAVE TO belong to. Would I go to a trainer who did everything you mentioned over someone from Petsmart? You bet! Even before I started teaching I always picked my trainers carefully.. but there's nothing stopping the average person from deciding to call themselves a dog trainer. There are plenty of trainers here who have never been certified by an organization and are making a living from training dogs.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom
    So what this a certificate from a class or issued by the government?
    The certification came from a 10 week course. They give you a certificate with a number on it. It was involved when I did it. They didnt take just anyone.

State of Virginia

That is a business license, possibly required by the school. Agilityk9trainer is correct, none of the states regulate dog trainers other than those I posted earlier which is guide dog trainers and sentry dog trainers.
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

The certification came from a 10 week course. They give you a certificate with a number on it. It was involved when I did it. They didnt take just anyone.
    I am sure they didn't...no doubt you had to come up with some money

I have been frosted!

o..

1. Dog Training Licenses are not mandated by any government (state, province or country) = Not government mandated

2. Dog Training Licenses are not mandaged by the industry (no centralized body overseeing the Dog Training industry) = Not industry mandated

3. Dog Training Licenses -may- be mandated by an individual workplace, in conjunction with accredited schools, training facilities, colleges, universities, etc. = Possibly individual workplace mandated
    4. Dog Training licenses look good if you have a personal business, as something to supplement a portfolio to present to potential clients.

This is a copy froma PM from Blue-Frog

Pasted by permission.

In answer
    YES EXACTLY
    You got it correct Blue_Frog
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom
    I am sure they didn't...no doubt you had to come up with some money
    Boy you aren't kidding. It was 2 grand last time- and I was gone from home for 10 weeks. I doubt at this point its worth it. Next time I will have 5 borzois ( my 4 and galinas pup).. And for what- to be able to teach in a state run place like a state park or a high school? I have class tonight in handling. My basement was soaked with water for 12 hours from a broken water heater, used every towel I own, AND 5 hours with a shop vac in 24 hours. We have hot water now with a new heater- but I am dead tired. AND MEANWHILE- trying to get the back suite ready before Galina leaves to be bred so I do not have to do it when she comes back so she can get use to everything.
    After reading the posts above- I am like- why the heck would I have to go through sooooooooo much garbage.. Its really stupid! The first time was it was required to train police dogs- but all these years later- I really wonder I will tell ya.. No one cares anyway .. Jeez!