Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Who licenses dog trainers?

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom
    I am sure they didn't...no doubt you had to come up with some money
    Coming up with money was the least of the worries. Going to college to study dog nutinion, dog behaviors, illnesses, etc, just to name a few was a lot tougher than finding the money. They marked you hard, fair but hard.
    So what eveybody is saying in effect is that these so called owner trained service dogs are legal and we and everyone else spent our money foolishly and wasted our time?
    I can just go out and hang my shingle proclaiming that I train service dogs?
    I also wasted my time trying to get the best education that I could to learn about training dogs, when all I had to do was post an ad in my local paper and advertise myself as a dog trainer and take somebody's money?
    Well, for myself, I'd rather have the satisfaction of an education under my belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Goodnow
    o..

1. Dog Training Licenses are not mandated by any government (state, province or country) = Not government mandated

2. Dog Training Licenses are not mandaged by the industry (no centralized body overseeing the Dog Training industry) = Not industry mandated

3. Dog Training Licenses -may- be mandated by an individual workplace, in conjunction with accredited schools, training facilities, colleges, universities, etc. = Possibly individual workplace mandated
    4. Dog Training licenses look good if you have a personal business, as something to supplement a portfolio to present to potential clients.

This is a copy froma PM from Blue-Frog

Pasted by permission.

In answer
    YES EXACTLY
    You got it correct Blue_Frog
    Yes she got it right! Which brings us back to the original question. Who issues dog training licenses and what are the qualifications?
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

In Canada you apply to your own town's council for any licence, including a dog training licence. After reviewing your qualifications and with the 3 referrences you supply they have the last word.

Quote Originally Posted by mike001
    Coming up with money was the least of the worries. Going to college to study dog nutinion, dog behaviors, illnesses, etc, just to name a few was a lot tougher than finding the money. They marked you hard, fair but hard.
    So what eveybody is saying in effect is that these so called owner trained service dogs are legal and we and everyone else spent our money foolishly and wasted our time?
    I also wasted my time trying to get the best education that I could to learn about training dogs, when all I had to do was post an ad in my local paper and advertise myself as a dog trainer and take somebody's money?
    Well, for myself, I'd rather have the satisfaction of an education under my belt.
    Mike, w'ere talking about the US, not Canada. Also, in the US people CAN become animal behaviorists. These folks DO have real education from accredited universities under their belts. Their education does matter and is important.

For the average professional dog trainer, certificiations aren't needed.
    MACH Aslan RE, MX, MXJ, EAC, EJC, OCC, Wv-N, TN-N, TG-N, R-SN, J-SN, R2-CL, CGC, TDI, FFX-AG (five year old sheltie)
    Jericho OA, NAJ, R1-MCL, CGC, FFX-AP (three year old sheltie)
    Laika NAJ, CGC (nine year old retired American Eskimo)

I've been defrosted.

Quote Originally Posted by mike001
    No one is denying the importance of education mike001. In my 30 year involvement in the dog fancy, I've been to more seminars and classes than I can remember, trained more dogs than I care to admit, and enjoyed every single moment of it. I still wouldn't have to be licensed anywhere in the United States if I wanted to put out my shingle as a dog trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by applesmom
    Yes she got it right! Which brings us back to the original question. Who issues dog training licenses and what are the qualifications?
    Applesmom,
    There are no LICENSED trainer. You can be certified. You do need to pass a state course for working with Service animals for the BLIND, and Police K9 training.

Those courses are both worthwile, if you plan on training these types of animals as a carreer. In the case of Police work, it is a no brainer that learning the craft helps cut down on injuries. To animal and human.

So in answer to your question, for an average trainer 99.9 % NONE for the few that do police K9 in all 4 states that I trained it was state certified from other K9 trainers that had established themselves. AgilityK9 would be better equipped to answer more in depth than I as it has been more than 10 yrs since I have trained a Police unit.

And as for Serivce animals the only proof or liscence required is for the
    Blind. That is done through passing the certification process. State run but mandates come from the suggestions in ADA requirement of what tha animal should do as a guide dog.
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Applesmom,
    There are no LICENSED trainer. You can be certified. You do need to pass a state course for working with Service animals for the BLIND, and Police K9 training.

Those courses are both worthwile, if you plan on training these types of animals as a carreer. In the case of Police work, it is a no brainer that learning the craft helps cut down on injuries. To animal and human.

So in answer to your question, for an average trainer 99.9 % NONE for the few that do police K9 in all 4 states that I trained it was state certified from other K9 trainers that had established themselves. AgilityK9 would be better equipped to answer more in depth than I as it has been more than 10 yrs since I have trained a Police unit.

And as for Serivce animals the only proof or liscence required is for the
    Blind. That is done through passing the certification process. State run but mandates come from the suggestions in ADA requirement of what tha animal should do as a guide dog.
    Great! It took 5 pages but we finally got those questions answered!

Tried to answer them earlier!

Tried to answer them earlier!
    I heard ya all along!

Okay- lets see if I have this right- do not go to a dog trainer in Arizona or Ill. because none of their trainers are certified or licensed or bonded.. Good thing to remember- thank you!
    So if I went to Arizona- and someones dog attacks my dog, the trainer is not certified to teach,by admission never taught dogs before, and nor licensed or bonded to pay for damages.. Hmm good point- TRUST ME I will never go there..

Who mentioned Arizona or Ill??? I am totally confused now....
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom
    Who mentioned Arizona or Ill??? I am totally confused now....
    applesmom lives in arizona according to profile ,and kym lives in Il.

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    applesmom lives in arizona according to profile ,and kym lives in Il.

Or any other state.Certification is not required in any state.

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    Okay- lets see if I have this right- do not go to a dog trainer in Arizona or Ill. because none of their trainers are certified or licensed or bonded.. Good thing to remember- thank you!
    So if I went to Arizona- and someones dog attacks my dog, the trainer is not certified to teach,by admission never taught dogs before, and nor licensed or bonded to pay for damages.. Hmm good point- TRUST ME I will never go there..
    You'll find the same thing in Virigina, so watch out!!

Actually and seriously, this is why I spend so much time and money putting titles on my dogs. Titles DO prove I have a level of training experience. The certifications, etc., really don't mean much, but titles do prove something. It's even better when my STUDENTS get titles on their dogs. Then, it proves I can not only train my own dogs, but teach others to successfully compete with their dogs.

Personally, I wouldn't want government stepping into dog training. They would require us all to conform to their cookie cutter methods of training. As it stands, we are able to provide a wide variety of methods to train. A potential student who knows what they are looking for can find the right trainer to fit their dog and their training philosophies. However, by allowing this freedom, you will run into trainers who are ill-equipped to do the job - certifications or no. As long as training methods don't run into the abusive, the government should allow the wide variety of methods available.

That doesn't mean that I don't get "up in arms" about some of the methods out there, but I also wouldn't want the government involved in regulating training beyond the powers to make areests for abusive treatment.

As for insurance and bonding, as I have said, if it's a concern of a student, just ask to see the trainers insurance/bonding papers.
    MACH Aslan RE, MX, MXJ, EAC, EJC, OCC, Wv-N, TN-N, TG-N, R-SN, J-SN, R2-CL, CGC, TDI, FFX-AG (five year old sheltie)
    Jericho OA, NAJ, R1-MCL, CGC, FFX-AP (three year old sheltie)
    Laika NAJ, CGC (nine year old retired American Eskimo)

I've been defrosted.

Well, let's just say I'm glad I don't live in the states if that's the way things are. If I needed a trainer in the states, it would mean that I'm on my own...unless I look for borzoid mom who is bonded. I wouldn't want my dogs or myself mauled because someone decided that being a trainer would be fun.
    So who do these trainers pay taxes to if they aren't licenced, is it all money under the table?
    Well, that also answers my question about the ADA and why Canada doesn't recognize their laws....they're self made.