Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Who licenses dog trainers?

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    applesmom lives in arizona according to profile ,and kym lives in Il.
    So what does that have to do with the cost of tea in china?
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Just so everyone knows there is no regulatory certifaction or lisensing of trainers in Canada either. A dog trainer here does not have to be liscensed or certified with anyone. If I wanted to right now I could go out and purchase a business liscense form my town and start training dogs. In fact I have considered it on many occasions. You do not have to be school trained here to train dogs or certified to train dogs proffesionally. Just thought I should clear that up.
    Nicole

I just wanted to put something out to agilityk9trainer -

some of us dont have the luxury of obedience clubs near us...so what do we do? All we can do is take the learning we can get and work with it until we are ready to do our own thing. I did my training in conjucture with the equine training and behavior class last semester (they only teach horse behavior at mny school, not companion animal, but alot of the basic theories are the same, though equine training is by far the more dangerous), plus a companion animal class this semester....and helping out with a friends dog....but I cant drive the hour to roanoke to find an obedience club...so I took the other avenue available to me. I feel like I have learned alot, but I know need to learn more (still not done though), which is why I dont intend to just randomly start out on my own...its why I buy books, ask questions and attended classes with my own puppy myself.

please dont make those up us that chose to go with a cert. program sound like fools that got taken advantage of....its obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by mike001
    Well, let's just say I'm glad I don't live in the states if that's the way things are. If I needed a trainer in the states, it would mean that I'm on my own...unless I look for borzoid mom who is bonded. I wouldn't want my dogs or myself mauled because someone decided that being a trainer would be fun.
    So who do these trainers pay taxes to if they aren't licenced, is it all money under the table?
    Well, that also answers my question about the ADA and why Canada doesn't recognize their laws....they're self made.
    mike001 you missed the point, there is no such thing as a "licensed" dog trainer in the USA except as Drgoodnow mentioned above. Being a law abiding business person (which the majority of successful dog trainers are) is a whole other kettle of fish. They pay taxes and have insurance just like any other business owner.
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

Quote Originally Posted by applesmom
    I didn't know that dog trainers are regulated or had to be licensed in the united states. Are they licensed by the city, state or county? What kind of qualifications are required in order to become a licensed dog trainer?
    I am confused as to the purpose of this thread. Did you pose a question that you had already researched and to which you already had an answer? It would appear that way from your responses to some of the posts. And if you did, the question would be why did you feel the need to do so? If you wanted to share the information that you already had you certainly could have done so without so much hoopla and debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger's Mom
    I am confused as to the purpose of this thread. Did you pose a question that you had already researched and to which you already had an answer? It would appear that way from your responses to some of the posts. And if you did, the question would be why did you feel the need to do so? If you wanted to share the information that you already had you certainly could have done so without so much hoopla and debate.
    That's also probably true too.

(shame on me for getting involved, but eh)

Quote Originally Posted by applesmom
    mike001 you missed the point, there is no such thing as a "licensed" dog trainer in the USA except as Drgoodnow mentioned above. Being a law abiding business person (which the majority of successful dog trainers are) is a whole other kettle of fish. They pay taxes and have insurance just like any other business owner.
    The same is for Canada. They do have to get a business liscense, just like any business would and that is how they would go about paying taxes, but as for a specific liscense to be a dog trainer or certifaction or schooling, it is not required in Canada either.
    Nicole

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger's Mom
    Nope! I researched it as the discussion progressed!
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceph
    I just wanted to put something out to agilityk9trainer -

some of us dont have the luxury of obedience clubs near us...so what do we do? All we can do is take the learning we can get and work with it until we are ready to do our own thing. I did my training in conjucture with the equine training and behavior class last semester (they only teach horse behavior at mny school, not companion animal, but alot of the basic theories are the same, though equine training is by far the more dangerous), plus a companion animal class this semester....and helping out with a friends dog....but I cant drive the hour to roanoke to find an obedience club...so I took the other avenue available to me. I feel like I have learned alot, but I know need to learn more (still not done though), which is why I dont intend to just randomly start out on my own...its why I buy books, ask questions and attended classes with my own puppy myself.

please dont make those up us that chose to go with a cert. program sound like fools that got taken advantage of....its obnoxious.

LOL!! I've never been called obnoxious.

I can see in your situation where you might seek some outside help. However, if I remember rightly, ABC costs about $3,000. I wouldn't pay that. I, had to drive TWO hours one-way to get the training I desired from my training mentor. I did it often, and still attempt to do so as time permits. If you really want to get good, you make these sacrifices. I am now considering driving 1/2 way across the US to get to a trainer I much admire. This is what you have to do to better yourself. However, the training you get from ABC is pretty basic. If it's stuff you can get with an easy hour's drive from your house, then I'd certainly go that route instead. Not only will you learn, but you will also develop local contacts and increase your rep. among the doggie community. Training alone at home will not give you these valuable contacts and reputation. In our business, reputation becomes everything.

If you want to get good, you make sacrifices. Back in the early 90s when agility was just starting, people in my area had to drive for 10 hours to get their training. And, they did it. Two hours is nothing compared to that. You do what you have to do to get good.
    MACH Aslan RE, MX, MXJ, EAC, EJC, OCC, Wv-N, TN-N, TG-N, R-SN, J-SN, R2-CL, CGC, TDI, FFX-AG (five year old sheltie)
    Jericho OA, NAJ, R1-MCL, CGC, FFX-AP (three year old sheltie)
    Laika NAJ, CGC (nine year old retired American Eskimo)

I've been defrosted.

Quote Originally Posted by mike001
    Well, let's just say I'm glad I don't live in the states if that's the way things are. If I needed a trainer in the states, it would mean that I'm on my own...unless I look for borzoid mom who is bonded. I wouldn't want my dogs or myself mauled because someone decided that being a trainer would be fun.
    So who do these trainers pay taxes to if they aren't licenced, is it all money under the table?
    Well, that also answers my question about the ADA and why Canada doesn't recognize their laws....they're self made.
    ADA of 1990 is a FEDERAL law, hardly self made.

You may want to finish the research you haven't done from the service dog thread before spouting false information YET again.
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Goodnow
    ADA of 1990 is a FEDERAL law, hardly self made.

You may want to finish the research you haven't done from the service dog thread before spouting false information YET again.
    I second that.
    Nicole

Sorry guys- even Utah required a trainer to be licensed- READ IT AND WEEP.. I also have the Va. State law of license coming to me by email- I will post it later- off to class in 15 minutes..
    http://www.dopl.utah.gov/licensing/forms/031.pdf

Yes and a Pharmeceutical Dog falls under DEA and Police recognition.
    that is not a requirement to train pets. Sorry Michelle
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    Sorry guys- even Utah required a trainer to be licensed- READ IT AND WEEP.. I also have the Va. State law of license coming to me by email- I will post it later- off to class in 15 minutes..
    http://www.dopl.utah.gov/licensing/forms/031.pdf
    Actually that doesn't prove anything. It says that is for liscensing a Pharmaceutical Dog Trainer, a dog trainer that uses controled substances to train dogs. I would hope anyone in the business of using a controled substance for any reason would HAVE to be liscensed. As for "regular" dog trainers it don't see anywhere where it talks about them. Only ones that use controlded substances.
    Nicole

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Goodnow
    Yes and a Pharmeceutical Dog falls under DEA and Police recognition.
    that is not a requirement to train pets. Sorry Michelle
    It does for me- you forgot who I worked for when I started Kym- think about it..
    I do not care what other poeple do, but with my past in training for k-9 and customs- maybe that is why the difference.