Thread: Who licenses dog trainers?

Hybrid View

Who licenses dog trainers?

I didn't know that dog trainers are regulated or had to be licensed in the united states. Are they licensed by the city, state or county? What kind of qualifications are required in order to become a licensed dog trainer?
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

Here you go applesmom.. http://www.nk9dta.com/selecting_trainer.aspx It should answer most of your questions. This is one of several schools that once you are certified, you can then get licensed in your own state. Licensing requires you to also be bonded ( like a licensed electrician etc would be.) You can not be get a license without a certification of an accredited school. This also explains the difference from a certified trainer and and a licensed one. Neither would be fine but licensed means you are bonded, subject to state laws and reported to the Better Business Bureau etc.

Animal Behavior College is another one...which is slighlty more on the more convenient side....The first part is online, then you work in a shelter and with a mentor trainer for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceph
    Animal Behavior College is another one...which is slighlty more on the more convenient side....The first part is online, then you work in a shelter and with a mentor trainer for a few months.
    Thats a good one too!

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    Here you go applesmom.. http://www.nk9dta.com/selecting_trainer.aspx It should answer most of your questions. This is one of several schools that once you are certified, you can then get licensed in your own state. Licensing requires you to also be bonded ( like a licensed electrician etc would be.) You can not be get a license without a certification of an accredited school. This also explains the difference from a certified trainer and and a licensed one. Neither would be fine but licensed means you are bonded, subject to state laws and reported to the Better Business Bureau etc.
    Thanks borzoimom but this site doesn't answer my questions about licensing at all. In fact it reinforces my beliefs that there are still no actual licensing regulations for dog trainers.

The NK9DTA does not set standards of skill or competence for members. Membership in the NK9DTA is open to all National K-9 School for Dog Trainers’ graduates who pay membership dues and are currently in good standing. The NK9DTA directory includes individuals with a wide range of experience, knowledge, and varied skill. There are currently no State laws that require a Dog Trainer to have any special license or education.
    The ABC is nothing more than an online course who does nothing to license their graduates other than send them a certificate of certification that they've completed the course. There is no hands on training whatsoever!
    The only licensing involved there is the school itself is licensed according to state regulations--not the students.

STATE LICENSURE and APPROVAL Animal Behavior College is a private vocational school approved under California Education Code Sections 94915 and Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations. This approval indicates that Animal Behavior College has been visited and reviewed pursuant to state standards, and that the curricula is consistent in quality with the curricula offered by traditional institutions.
    What I'm looking for is information on the actual licensing of dog trainers and the organizations that provide that licensing and oversee the industry.

MIne is from there in certification- then presented to the state as certification to license. I must also present " bonded" agreement. Also can be reported by the Better Business Bureau. I am not sure how it works in your state.
    Some states do not license trainers. More frequently are those training Schzhound - not sure how your state works.
    Also- keep in mind- even a "licensed electrician-" is NOT licensed in all states- just their own. And it starts with certication testing. Like my husband has his licenses in Va. And Md. That DOES NOT MEAN he is licensed to practice in other states. Same thing..

In my state I could put an ad in the paper and start teaching classes in my back yard or at a local park immediately. I might need a business license, but wouldn't be required to have a dog trainers license or provide any certification regarding my abilities or experience.

I'd love to know where to go to find a list of trainers that are actually licensed by their city, county or state. Not to run a business, but as licensed dog trainers. If there is such a thing it should be public information.

Quote Originally Posted by applesmom
    In my state I could put an ad in the paper and start teaching classes in my back yard or at a local park immediately. I might need a business license, but wouldn't be required to have a dog trainers license or provide any certification regarding my abilities or experience.

I'd love to know where to go to find a list of trainers that are actually licensed by their city, county or state. Not to run a business, but as licensed dog trainers. If there is such a thing it should be public information.
    I agree - should be.. Contact your state BBB- maybe they have it. They have it here.
    BTW applesmom- how many times on either site we visit - have you heard me mention my license??? NEVER.. I did so because I know the poster that was looking for a trainer, and on this site we can tell what state they are from- unlike the other site- that and only that.. And btw again- it worked what I told the poster too ( of course..lol).. Even a doctor has to get a license- in the state of practice. I would suspect the same way you find out if they are licensed in that state, is the same way you could find your licensed trainers in your state.

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    MIne is from there in certification- then presented to the state as certification to license. I must also present " bonded" agreement. Also can be reported by the Better Business Bureau. I am not sure how it works in your state.
    Some states do not license trainers. More frequently are those training Schzhound - not sure how your state works.
    Also- keep in mind- even a "licensed electrician-" is NOT licensed in all states- just their own. And it starts with certication testing. Like my husband has his licenses in Va. And Md. That DOES NOT MEAN he is licensed to practice in other states. Same thing..
    Again applesmom- these are the steps.

Borzoimom on the website you posted it clearly states,

ANYONE can call himself or herself a dog trainer, so certification can be important.

There are currently NO STATE LAWS that require a Dog Trainer to have any special license or education.
    If this information is wrong they need to correct it.

They also clearly state:
    The NK9DTA does NOT set standards of skill or competence for members. Membership in the NK9DTA is open to all National K-9 School for Dog Trainers’ graduates who pay membership dues and are currently in good standing.
    In other words, no matter the amount of competence or incompetence--all one has to do is keep their dues up and they're certified dog trainers.

Quote Originally Posted by applesmom
    The ABC is nothing more than an online course who does nothing to license their graduates other than send them a certificate of certification that they've completed the course. There is no hands on training whatsoever!
    The only licensing involved there is the school itself is licensed according to state regulations--not the students.

Uh, I am actually in the ABC program now thank you very much....I think I know what they do. There is several hours of required hands on training, both with a mentor trainer and in a shelter. I think I would know!

Also, there are several organizations that I have found that you test to join also.

Uh, I am actually in the ABC program now thank you very much....I think I know what they do. There is several hours of required hands on training, both WITH A MENTOR TRAINER AND IN A SHELTER. I think I would know!

Also, there are several organizations that I have found that you test to join also.
    Yea there are several.

Uh, I am actually in the ABC program now thank you very much....I think I know what they do. There is several hours of required hands on training, both WITH A MENTOR TRAINER AND IN A SHELTER. I think I would know!

Ceph I'm sure you will learn a lot and enjoy every minute of your training.
    But my question is about licensing!

Licensing is completely different than certification by a training agency or organization!

yes, but the statement regarding no hands on training and just getting mailed a cert. in the mail was inncorrect. You made it sound like there was no work involved. I did make a mistake in interpreting what you were looking for.

I suppose some states require liscensing in dog training, but mine doesnt that I know of....I figure if they dont require it in Equine training which is far more dangerous and can have much worse outcomes they wouldnt require it for canine training...I could be wrong...it's something I'll look up.