Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raven's cancer *Final recheck, pg 38 (post 568)*

Hybrid View

Raven's cancer - 1 year later (post 584)

I was in class with Raven this morning and she was getting worn out, she started panting and was looking up at me when I noticed something wrong in her mouth. It looked like a fleshy pink growth or abscess on the floor of her mouth that extended between her lower canine and front teeth. It looks alarmingly big to me for being in her mouth, I am not sure how long it has been there as she usually has her mouth closed and when I check her teeth she generally closes her mouth and I look along the outside.

I already have a vet appointment coming up Thursday afternoon because she was getting her lyme vaccination and the other two are getting their rabies. My vet is out of town at a conference until Thursday when he will be back in the office.

She doesn't seem to have any pain or reluctance in eating or chewing or playing, but earlier when she was playing with a ball outside I noticed a bit of blood on it and when I looked at it again it had some pinprick type blood spots on it (probably irritated from carrying the ball around). I just feel really anxious about it. She is only 6 months old and has very healthy teeth and gums, I'm not quite sure what this is and what has caused it.

I guess I was wondering if anyone had seen anything like this before. I'm anxious that I can't get it looked at until Thursday but I guess I will keep a close eye on it and if need be take her to the substitute vet as an emergency, but I don't think it's at that level right now. I'm just really fretting and worrying about this. (The "brown" on the lower part of her front teeth is a bit of leaf, she had been playing in the yard with a tennis ball)

Last edited by K9soul; 04-20-2008 at 07:37 PM.

A friend of our noticed somthing similar in their 10 yr old dog a few months ago. They saw the vet and were debating if they should have it removed, it went awy on its own. Hope you ahve similar luck with Raven!

Oh wow, you can see it easily. I don't think I've seen anything like it
    before, but if she's eating & playing normally, I would think it's not that
    serious.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Well I've been searching and hunting and I'm wondering if it could possibly be what is called an epulis. It seems it can range from pretty easy to deal with to requiring more in depth surgery and sometimes even radiation. I feel sick with worry .

http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=3057

http://www.bobmckee.com/Client%20Inf...ia/Epilus.html

Thanks for the sites K-Nine. I had never heard or seen anything like this before. The links were very educational.

Oh no, I'm very sorry to hear this. I hope if it is an epulis it will be the kind that is easy to deal with. I know how worried you are, I'm the same way, I always look on the internet and make myself worry even worse. Please keep us updated.

I can see why you're so worried. I hope it turns up to be nothing serious, or like in the situation Amy described, it goes away on it's own.

Have to say, despite being worried, I love Raven's smile.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I bet you are worried sick Jessica. Most of the time we worry needlessly and I will pray that is the case for Raven. {hugs}
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Oh Jess, I'm so sorry. Please try not to worry, though I know it's nearly impossible. I hope it's nothing. I know how much she means to you. My stomach feels a little sick, too. I hope it's nothing serious. Please keep us updated.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I'm sorry I missed this Jess. I am sending healing vibes and lots of prayers and love for you and Raven...
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Healing vibes for Raven!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Quote Originally Posted by K9soul
    I was in class with Raven this morning and she was getting worn out, she started panting and was looking up at me when I noticed something wrong in her mouth. It looked like a fleshy pink growth or abscess on the floor of her mouth that extended between her lower canine and front teeth. It looks alarmingly big to me for being in her mouth, I am not sure how long it has been there as she usually has her mouth closed and when I check her teeth she generally closes her mouth and I look along the outside.

I already have a vet appointment coming up Thursday afternoon because she was getting her lyme vaccination and the other two are getting their rabies. My vet is out of town at a conference until Thursday when he will be back in the office.

She doesn't seem to have any pain or reluctance in eating or chewing or playing, but earlier when she was playing with a ball outside I noticed a bit of blood on it and when I looked at it again it had some pinprick type blood spots on it (probably irritated from carrying the ball around). I just feel really anxious about it. She is only 6 months old and has very healthy teeth and gums, I'm not quite sure what this is and what has caused it.

I guess I was wondering if anyone had seen anything like this before. I'm anxious that I can't get it looked at until Thursday but I guess I will keep a close eye on it and if need be take her to the substitute vet as an emergency, but I don't think it's at that level right now. I'm just really fretting and worrying about this. (The "brown" on the lower part of her front teeth is a bit of leaf, she had been playing in the yard with a tennis ball)

Nasty looking little thingy. If you haven't already, you might want to examine the mouth, and under the tongue for any other growths. Obviously the absence of other growths is a positive sign.

Oral cancers tend to occur in much older dogs. That's not to say they can not occur in puppies, but it's extremely rare. The most common oral growth in dogs is focal fibrous hyperplasia - which translates to hyper accelerated growth of the connective gum tissue in a localized location.

The chances are the Vet will ... punt, and refer you to an oral surgeon. The surgeon will remove excess gingival tissue and contour the remaining gingiva. A sample will be sent off to Pathology to confirm its benign, and an Xray will be taken as another safety precaution that there is no evidence of bone infiltration.

If the dog was geriatric, losing weight, anorexia, and lethargic, then cancer would be more of a worry. Chances are high the growth is benign in junior.

Quote Originally Posted by dragondawg
    Nasty looking little thingy. If you haven't already, you might want to examine the mouth, and under the tongue for any other growths. Obviously the absence of other growths is a positive sign.

Oral cancers tend to occur in much older dogs. That's not to say they can not occur in puppies, but it's extremely rare. The most common oral growth in dogs is focal fibrous hyperplasia - which translates to hyper accelerated growth of the connective gum tissue in a localized location.
    That sounds pretty much like what I was reading about epulis. I have looked really closely at the rest of her mouth and don't see anything else suspicious, so I think, (hope and pray) it is just localized to that area.

I wish I could have it looked at right now... the unknown is the worst of all
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    It kindof looks like a Histiocytoma, Finn had one on his toe awhile back. My vet said she sees them typically on young labs on their faces. But, I don't remember her saying that she'd seen one in the mouth, before. But, maybe that's all it is? She also referred to it as a "button tumor." And, I don't remember her saying that it was ever too serious.

Just take a deep breath. Your worrying is only going to make the dogs anxious and nervous, too. Listen to some Phar Lap music, have some tea or something. Count to ten, do some yoga, whatever it is that you know helps you relax. Is there no way to get her into a different vet, just to have it checked out? It could be worth it if you're not able to relax.

And, I am sorry I am just now seeing this. I hope it turns out to be nothing to worry about. She doesn't look affected at all. But, you'll both be in my thoughts!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I don't know if this can affect dogs but my boy cat developed several rodent ulcers last year. Maybe it could be that?

Good luck!