Thread: AKC Advantage?

AKC Advantage?

Just curious. What are the real advantages of having a dog that is AKC registered? I'm sure you need it if you are planning on breeding or showing the dog...but is it really that important for anything else? I know it does not matter as far as how great the dog is, how much you love it, etc. I'm talking like getting involved in other dog events--like agility, therapy, or even getting some of the qualifications like the CGC.

You don't need it to do Agilty or theropy cause they do it with mutts! We are going to have our "mutt" Chewy in agilty and other things and he is not AKC regesterd. I don't know about the whole CGC qulifications or anything so I can't help you there. Just rember have a fun time doing these things!
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

You do not need to have an AKC registered dog for CGC. Leslie's Graham got his and he is a mix.

If you plan on showing your dog or breeding it to show its puppies, etc.. then you will need to have an AKC registered dog.

I know many people who have purebreds that are not AKC registered. That doesn't make them any less important or loved than a registered dog!

We never registered Roxey, I figured she wasn't going to be a show dog (she doesn't have the "show dog" look, she's got the "pet" look!) and we weren't going to breed her, so what's the use, besides the fees went up alot higher than they used to be and I didn't see the point in it. I love her just the same, one way or another!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I have always adopted my angels from the local pound. I have loved everyone of them. I do not see the big thing about AKC registered dogs unless you plan to breed or show them.

I did register both of mine, although I took away any advantages to doing that when both were spayed at five months old!! I liked looking at the pedigree that I got, but all there is to it is a piece of paper. It means nothing at this point. I got the girls.....that's all that matters.

Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
    You don't need it to do Agilty or theropy cause they do it with mutts! We are going to have our "mutt" Chewy in agilty and other things and he is not AKC regesterd. I don't know about the whole CGC qulifications or anything so I can't help you there. Just rember have a fun time doing these things!
    I am in the minority then because for me a AKC registration is very important for what I do with my dogs for many reasons.

Basically, to love your dog you do not need to register them. To show them competitively in AKC events it is necessary or to help in the ongoing research into canine genetics, it is helpful.

The AKC is a non-profit organization and proceeds of events and registrations (after expenses) go back into various avenues of bettering the various purebred breeds. These include the AKC/Canine Health foundation which strives to provide as much information on dogs health clearances before breeding through CHIC (Canine health and Information Center) and research into canine genetics to improve the quality of life for dogs and their owners.

In order to show your dog in a AKC agility trial you DO need to have an AKC registration. There are non AKC events that non registered dogs can participate in but they are not as plentiful as AKC sponsored events and you can not attain AKC titles at these trials.

You do not need to have a AKC registered dog to get the CGC. This is the Canine Good Citizen certificate that your dog is a good citizen. You can also do therapy and get the TDI - Therapy Dog International certificate. TDI is something you have to renew every year by paying a fee but you do not have to redo the test if you keep it current. A lot of places will not accept dogs for therapy work unless they have the TDI.

If you have a purebred dog or one that looks really close to a particular breed, you can get a ILP (Indefinite Listing Priviledge) number so you can compete in AKC events.

The love of dogs and the commitment to preserve, protect and improve a chosen breed represent the very essence of AKC and the basis for the sport of purebred dogs. There is a widely held belief that "AKC" or "AKC papers" and quality are one and the same. This is not the case. AKC is a registry body. A registration certificate identifies the dog as the offspring of a known sire and dam, born on a known date. It in no way indicates the quality or state of health of the dog. Quality in the sense of "show quality" is determined by many factors including the dog's health, physical condition, ability to move and appearance.

I know I am in the minority here but I believe if we all recognize each others values in loving our dogs, this will not be such a major issue. I personally do not want to continually defend my position of having purebred dogs and for supporting the AKC.

Last edited by Dixieland Dancer; 07-12-2002 at 10:26 AM.

Candy,
    Your response is right on target. I don't think (hope I'm right) that anyone at Pet Talk judges those of us who chose specific breeds when we chose our Goldens, Lab, Rotties, Poodles, etc.

I guess my point was that I don't do anything that would affect me, with my Golden Retrievers, as far as AKC is concerned. But, obviously, when I got them, I wanted the papers because I paid the money to get the purebred puppies. I do have verification that both of their parents were purebred Goldens, but beyond that, I don't do the agility or any other AKC sanctioned activities with them. Just love them to pieces!!!

I think this is a healthy discussion and the bottom line is that we all love "all" of them.....regardless of whether they have papers or not.

Logan

My dogs have their own type of "papers". Their adoption contracts from the shelter are all framed
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Great idea, Aly! Mine have the same kind of papers. It's all they need for the pampered lives they live.

Mary

Thanks for the info. I don't think it matters if the dog is a mutt or purebred, you'll love it either way. I love all dogs. It's just been my dream to own a siberian husky, so I will pay the extra money to get one. I don't plan on breeding the dog, so I will have it spayed/neutered. And I don't think you can show them if they are spayed/neutered....so for me the AKC really wouldn't make much of a difference I don't think.

Hehe, you will have enough to fill every wall in your house!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

It's just been my dream to own a siberian husky, so I will pay the extra money to get one. I don't plan on breeding the dog, so I will have it spayed/neutered. >>>>>>

When you are looking for a puppy, remember if the breeders
    advertise the puppy's parents as AKC registered,
    that does not make them reputable breeders.
    So when chosing a Siberian breeder make sure they
    also do the proper health clearance etc. for their
    breed etc.

----<---<--<{(@

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    I don't plan on breeding the dog, so I will have it spayed/neutered. And I don't think you can show them if they are spayed/neutered....so for me the AKC really wouldn't make much of a difference I don't think.
    You will not be able to show in conformation for the dogs looks if it is spayed or nuetered but you WILL be able to show in every other venue such as obedience, agility, tracking, etc.

You can start to look for a reputable breeder on the AKC website. They have a breeder referral listing. Their site is AKC.org. Or you can look on the Infodog.com site. This is the site where you can see all the shows for AKC events such as breed, obedience, hunting, field trials, tracking and agility. They also have a breeder referral listing.

Remember to find out what clearances are recommended for your breed and make sure the mother and father have been cleared. The AKC/CHIC (Canine Health information Center) can be of assistance there. A reputable breeder will have a contract for the dog stating their concern for the dog and requirements of getting one of their pups. It should also state what their requirements are if there are problems with the pup. They should also state that the pup is welcome back to them if for any reason you can't keep him. If you don't find all this and especially if it is just a cash only transaction, stay clear.

Most importantly.... enjoy your new pup! When are you thinking of getting him/her?