Thread: Sherman #369 He is gone.

Hybrid View

Just seeing this now. I am so sorry to hear that handsome Shermie isn't feeling so good. I think he just wants to make sure you get to know the new vet real good. I hope the cephalexin helps. Feel better soon, Sherman.

I have a question regarding this medication, Cephalexin. Has anyone had any experience with this? I've been reading up on the side effects, and wondered how other dogs responded.

Sherman has had 3 doses now, and I noticed him trembling slightly. (his head & ears) This is NOT listed among its known side effects, so it may or may not be related. Dizziness is listed, so maybe he just feels a little woozy? I did read a couple accounts of dogs whose hindquarters seemed to go weak while taking this drug. He's leaking pee, too, but that is listed as a side effect.

I'll call in to the vets if he's still shaking tomorrow.

I use Cephalexin all the time. I always have a stash of it on hand at home. It's my vet's drug of choice for puncture wounds. A couple of the dogs get a bit nauseous with the first couple doses, but that's the only negative side effect I've seen.

Has Sherman been eating and drinking? If he hasn't been, that could be contributing to his symptoms.

I hope he's feeling better soon.

When Diamond tore herself up on the fence, the vet put her on two big bottles of Cephalexin. She didn't have any side effects from it.

I'm sorry Sherman is not feeling well. Poor guy, I hope he feels better soon! You both will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

Both my Lacey and RB Mandy have taken Cephalexin many times with no problems. I am keeping Sherman in my prayers.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Pat, some meds need to be taken with food, not on an empty stomach. I see someone asked if he is eating and drinking.

You can wrap the pill in some peanut butter if above is the problem.

I hope Sherman recovers quickly!

thanks, I'm glad tohear that people have had good results. I found one web posting that was a list of people whose dogs have had hrrible & life threatening reactions, so I was a bit apprehensive.

Sherman's drinking tons of water. He's eating off & on, not as much as usual, but he is eating. He seems to be craving green beans - eating them first & leaving his kibble. I give him all his pills smothered in a big glob of peanut butter. He loves it and gulps it down, probably doesn't even notice the big pill. His energy is still low, but he seems a bit brighter, his eyes look clearer, like he feels a little better.
    thanks for keeping him in your prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    I don't think Sherman got a shot of antibiotics. He took doxycycline and temaril-P. He also received vaccinations for Lyme & rabies.....

The vet put Sherman back on an antibiotic for one more round. This one is cephalexin. If he has more coughing episodes, the next step will be chest xrays. Here's hoping the pills do the trick......

I have a question regarding this medication, Cephalexin. Has anyone had any experience with this? I've been reading up on the side effects, and wondered how other dogs responded.

I would be very angry with a vet for giving a vaccination when a dog is sick. That's just not right! A vaccination requires an immune system response and it's very difficult for an animal to fight off any kind of infection while also responding to a vaccine, let alone that might compromise the vaccine's effectiveness also when animals are on steroids we don't vaccinate either. Where I work we NEVER vaccinate a sick animal, NEVER. Although we've had lots of people ask, even when the animal is in for something severe like a broken leg and it's like 'oh while he's here can he get his distemper shot?" GRRRRRRR Would you take a kid to the hospital with a broken leg and ask for a tetanus shot 'while you were there'? NO, it's just wrong!

Aside from my rant there, We use Cephalexin frequently at work, I don't recall anyone every having called about a side effect like that from it. However if he's still on the Temaril-P that could be causing the leaking of pee and drinking alot of water. Prednisolone/steroids can cause thirst, drinking alot of water, and consequently inappropriate urination.

From Pfizer's drug insert on Temaril-P

ACTION: The exclusive Temaril-P formula combines the antipruritic and antitussive action of trimeprazine with the anti-inflammatory action of prednisolone.

Medline Plus on Prednisolone/steroid side effects

SIDE EFFECTS
    Prednisone and prednisolone have activity in the kidney leading to the conservation of salt. This creates the classical side effects of prednisone/prednisolone use: excessive thirst and excessive urination.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022