Thread: PICTURES Sheena's new gear

PICTURES Sheena's new gear

And man did it come in handy in Ontario. Esspecially the Support harness. Sheena was able to keep me on my feet and even pull me up inclines, And no one questioned us. I offered to show then this years doctors note for some but they all refused and said it was obvious she was a working dog. Except for taxi's(minus one company who we found and love and they did not want us to go) the trip was a pleasure and I was so glad to have the new gear to help make her look as professional as she is. So now to the pictures.

THe suport harness I got from Fredom Designs and I would recomend them to anyone who has a need of a support harness for their mobility assistance dog.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...2003/gear1.jpg

On one side it says Service Dog On Duty, On the other it says Stop Don't Touch Service Dog, and on the pack the is removeable it says Medical Alert Service Dog. If you take the pack off there is another one under it.

This is just me showing you one of the many ways to hold the handle. The hanlde can be placed just about anywhere on the pack which is great if someone is in a wheelchair and needs to be pulled they can have it hooked at the side. I can show you other ways if you all want. Sorry that I am in my jammies but with the whiplash I am in a lot of pain and just wanted to get the pictures done,

Here she is in here new vest. Both sides are the exact same so we only sho one side and the back,

We got the patches and vest from LDS leather, AS you can see they do great work. And along the botom of each vest is a reflective stripe for evenings and nights.

Anyway. Hope you enjoyed. If you have any positive questions let me know. I have no strength for a debate,
    Nicole

she looks great.... and it was also great you had a nice time up there... glad to see people more open to service dogs...

way to go Sheena!!...

gentle hugs to you and lotsa belly rubs to all the pooches
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Looks like you found the perfect pack for you and Sheena. She looks great!
    Jan and 7 yo collie Bailey, CGC,TDIAOV

How to Love Your Dog
    http://loveyourdog.com

Therapy Dogs.Net
    http://therapydogs.net

Bailey at Dog of the Day
    Cody at Dog of the Day

Nicole, I'm glad your trip went well and I hope you'll be feeling better soon. Sheena, you are beautiful as always and you look very nice in your "work clothes" so to speak. If I had been there while you were on vacation I am sure I'd have asked to pet you! Maybe your mom will pet you for me when you don't have your gear on. Pets to Luca and Ajax, too, please!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Sheena is so beautiful in her new gear!!
    Over my vacation I saw a man who walked with a cane and his service Sheltie. I have no idea why (or what the dogs "specialty" was) but we talked to him for quite a while and she was so darn cute. We asked to pet her and he let us.
    Is that normal? If people ask to pet Sheena do you let them? I've heard mixed answers on this and was just curious for the reasoning behind it. I mean, I know and understand that they are working and I totally respect that. In fact I didn't even pet Annie until she approached and sniffed my leg.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    Is that normal? If people ask to pet Sheena do you let them? I've heard mixed answers on this and was just curious for the reasoning behind it. I mean, I know and understand that they are working and I totally respect that. In fact I didn't even pet Annie until she approached and sniffed my leg.
    This is a choice. 99% of people are not allowed to pet Sheena while She is working. But at things like Stay and Play that is for babies and toddlers I take that rule off. I also let kids who are obviously afriad of dogs pet her. That happened on the trip several times. The saddest but best was a girl about 8 who had a sister about 6, The 8 year old had obvious scars on her face, I was sitting and resting so thay use the opportunity to explain about service dogs. I love that, You could really see the girl was terriffied as Sheena sat at my feet. I asked why she was so scared and the parents explained she was attacted by a large mixed breed last year.

I felt so bad. So I tried a little trick. Her sister was curious. So I put Sheena in a down Stay then told her to be mean. This is her command to roll over and show her tummy for a rub. Ususally her tongue will hang out, When she did it, The oldest jumped for a seconded and then giggled, I asked the youngested if she wanted to give Sheena a tummy rub, Well of course she did, So she came over and rcratched at a really good spot because it got her leg flying which get everyone laughing, Then I told the youngest I was going to get her to stand, So she backed up and I told her to stand, Up Sheena came. I then turned her to me so that her head was in my lap but she still standing and I offerded the oldest to pet her, Her sister coaxed her letting her know how soft she was. She barely nodded and moved forward and pet her back end as Sheena's tail wagged and tickled her legs. I noticed her mom had tears in her eyes and a few minutes later dad and girls walked away. She let me know that her daughter had not even been near a dog let alone touched one since the attack. I just smiled and said I hope I helped.

So for that yes or some rare occasions kids that are really polite and ask I will let them give her a piece of a treat to reinforce her socialization,

So it is a choice,
    Nicole

Nicole, what a great story! You totally made my day! I'm wiping my eyes here for that little girl and her family. Please give Sheena a big hug for me because I'm sure you and she helped this family.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Nicole, what a great story! You totally made my day! I'm wiping my eyes here for that little girl and her family. Please give Sheena a big hug for me because I'm sure you and she helped this family.
    Me too, and I'm at work!! That was beautiful. Thank you for explaining too.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

That's awesome. Service dogs fascinate me for some reason. I've always wanted one of my dogs to become a therapy or service dog (service would be for my schizoaffective disorder). I'm not quite sure any of the 3 have what it takes though. So far, Tatum has passed the CGC and Shawnee is up to bat next though.

That was a wonderful story!! I can't imagine the trauma and the pain of getting bit by a dog like the little girl did.....Cassie got my finger last night because I didn't drop her heartworm pill fast enough, and she can't see too well....of my gosh, it hurt for like 30 minutes....I just can't imagine the pain that little girl must have gone through, and for her to be able to trust dogs again, even just for a moment is wonderful. The little girl's mom is not the only one who had tears in her eyes....Thanks for sharing!!
    Shannon, Boomer, and Sooner

What a wonderful thing for you to do for that little girl!! I'm sure her parents are just so grateful for what you did, and how gentle and obedient Sheena was.

Big hugs and scritchies to Sheena!

Well done Sheena (and Mom)
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Sheena, your new gear does look "smart" on you! And I just read how you helped a little girl who has every right to be terrified of doggies. You are a GOOD GIRL, Sheena, asking Mom to give you some rubs and maybe a treat!

Nicole thanks for sharing about the gear, and the wee girl. Great work!