Thread: Parvo

Parvo

We have had 5 casses of Parvo at the vet clinic I work at this week. 5 THIS WEEK! Fortinatly 4 out of the 5 survived. All my dogs are UTD on their vacc. but I still worry if there is a chance that they could still get it off of me? I always bleach my shoes when I leave the Parvo recovery room at work and remove my scrub top before handling my dogs. Is there still a risk of my puppers getting Parvo even though they are all vacc.?
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Oh no! That is horrible! How amazing that 4 out of the 5 survived... I really hope that your pooches will not get it, but if they are vaccinated against it, I would *think* that they would not get it, though. Good question! I hope that someone more educated on this can help you out!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Quote Originally Posted by lute
    We have had 5 casses of Parvo at the vet clinic I work at this week. 5 THIS WEEK! Fortinatly 4 out of the 5 survived. All my dogs are UTD on their vacc. but I still worry if there is a chance that they could still get it off of me? I always bleach my shoes when I leave the Parvo recovery room at work and remove my scrub top before handling my dogs. Is there still a risk of my puppers getting Parvo even though they are all vacc.?
    The only improvements I can think of is a foot bath with rubber boots and coveralls just outside the infected wing. Used that scheme with swine disease research, and some how managed to keep the uninfected controls ... uninfected.

If your dogs are 1 yr or better chances are you could deliberately expose them to parvo without any problems. Parvo is so endemic in dogs, exposure between adult dogs isn't unusual. Due to periodic exposure titers usually remain high, and fuels the debate about the need for revaccination after 3 yrs of age.

If under a year in age, there's always a chance for the parvo to break through the puppy vaccinations, mainly due to maternal antibody interference with the immunizations. Ask one of the Vets to explain to you the maternal antibody problem in parvo vaccinations.

Thanks Dragondawg! All of my dogs are over a year old. I know my Gracie has been around it when she was a puppy. I worked at a petstore and they failed to inform me that there was a parvo outbreak. I was so mad at the store owner! I'll ask my vet.

LabLoverKEB, we actually have a very high sucess rate with Parvo dogs at the clinic. Most of the dogs that come in that are pos. are adults. We did have a 7mo. old Rottie/wolf mix that didn't make it. The owner had waited too long to get vet attention.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.