Thread: Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Ok...this might sound kinda gross, so forgive me.

A friend of mine was telling me about his cat. He said he was holding it or something and after he put her down he had this discharge or something on him. I think he said it was really smelly. She is a young(ish?) female and is spayed. Any ideas? I think he says it was sorta clear or grayish?

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Do cats have anal gland problems like dogs? I don't have a clue other than that.

From Decker with Love

Yes it was probably anal glands. If it happens again, it wont hurt to get her checked out

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

Could be pyometria which is a uterine infection in unspayed females. She needs to see a vet.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I've not experienced this w/my cats but a discharge doesn't sound normal to me. When in doubt, check it out. See your vet now.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Thanks for the tips. I'll let him know that. If it is anal glads is it similar to what dogs get? Josie used to drag her butt on the floor a lot and needed her glands expressed...is it the same idea?

Could be pyometria which is a uterine infection in unspayed females. She needs to see a vet.
    Quote Originally Posted by slleipnir
    She is a young(ish?) female and is spayed.

That Could Well Be The Reason, Actually It Must Be As They Would See A Dscharge From Another Source, And I Would Get Her To A Vet Asap.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I don't know if this applies but a friend of mine had his kitten spayed and then the kitten had a discharge and it was an infection from the surgery...so...maybe to play it safe he should have it checked out?
    Katjaye, but everyone calls me...

"And what is as important as knowledge?" asked the mind. "Caring and seeing with the heart," answered the soul.

The cat is probably a few years old atleast...I think she was spayed as a kitten.

Quote Originally Posted by slleipnir
    I'll let him know that. If it is anal glads is it similar to what dogs get? Josie used to drag her butt on the floor a lot and needed her glands expressed...is it the same idea?
    yup, same as dogs. the odor substance that express by pooping (or spontaneously by being alarmed) and if he says it's really smelly then yeah, must be anal glands (unless coming from somewhere else than rectum). my few of cats just had expressed and sometimes it gets on me before they could get a chance cleaning it up.

I wouldn't be worried but if the cat continues doing so, rubs, wipes, licks his rectum too often, he may have anal sacs infected and should be checked, and expressed regularly by vet. unless you can too, it's not too hard. but use some gloves - the smell doesn't get rid of easy!
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..