Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Gabe - your life was too short.

RIP Gabe - your life was too short.

They say bad things come in threes - I certainly hope that we don't have any more deaths occur for a while after the 3 we've been through lately.

Gabe was so, so special. I first saw him while looking through the website of the high kill shelter in Tennessee that my rescue group pulls dogs from. His name, at the time, was listed as "Lurch". I remember thinking how cute he was, and asked if we could pull him and try to find him a great home. A few days later, I found out that we had, in fact, pulled him from the shelter and he was now at our vet clinic in Tennessee. It turns out they named him Lurch because of his abnormally large head, which they thought was funny, but didn't think anything of it. It turns out that Gabe had a case of hydrocephalus (water on the brain). He was the equivalent of mentally retarded - mostly blind, not very coordinated, but the sweetest little thing. Loved to be held, loved to snuggle in your arms, and loves to play - would wag his tail if you talked quietly to him.

We struggled with the decision in terms of what to do with Gabe. Other than his vision, he was asymptomatic at our vet clinic - no seizures, not in any pain, happy little guy. There were experimental surgeries that could be tried, but from what the vets told us, implanting a shunt in a dog that small almost never worked, and could actually make him worse. We didn't want to euthanize a happy dog who loved life so much - it didn't seem right. At the same time though, we couldn't adopt him out, the vets told us that in some cases hydrocephalus can correct itself, but that in his case, they didn't feel like he would ever recover. He would inevitably start to decline, and when he did, it would be fast.

I talked to my fiance, and we decided to take him. I had been laying awake at night, thinking of this little 8 week old chocolate lab, locked in a cage - I couldn't deal with the idea of him spending his entire short life behind bars. Even if he wasn't going to make it, I thought that he would be happy here. I intended to spoil him absolutely rotten for as long as he was alive. I promised everyone involved that as soon as he started showing signs (seizing), we would have him euthanized, as no one wanted him to suffer.

Gabe arrived here on December 8th - tiny, wriggling, and precious. His head was huge, and his eyes unfocused, but he was perfect. I prayed that he would have many good weeks, maybe even months, with our family. We had bought him a new collar and made him a tag with his name and our address/phone numbers on it. As long as he was with us, we were going to consider him "our" dog, and wanted him to feel like part of the family. Our dogs, Lucy and Molly were constantly by his side - they knew that something wasn't right with him, and they were very protective of him.

A few hours after he arrived, he got very, very tired. He had been playing in the yard with our dogs, so I figured he was just worn out from exercise. We brought him to our local pet store to buy him some toys - while we were there, Gabe started drooling. I knew something was wrong. We got in the car immediately to bring him home, and while on my lap he lost control of his bowel movements. He wasn't even aware that he had gone to the bathroom, the poor thing. We got him home, and as soon as I cleaned him up and wrapped him in a blanket, he started seizing in my arms. It was the most helpless feeling in the world, watching his twitch and spasm. I called our lead rescue coordinator, hysterical, and told her what was going on, and we agreed that in a couple of hours, if he hadn't stopped, I would bring him to the emergency vet clinic near us and have him PTS. We didn't want him to suffer. I was a mess, and stayed on the phone with her, with him in my lap, petting him, trying to calm down. I don't know if he knew I was there or not - I hope he did. While she was talking to me, I watched him stop breathing. At first I thought I was crazy, so I called my fiance out in to the room, and he confirmed it - he died in my lap. I was petting him and telling him what a good boy he was, and I hope he heard me.

I wish so desperately that he had more time here, but I feel like maybe he passed away quickly to spare me the pain of becoming more attached to him. I hope that however brief his stay here was, he knows how loved he was, and how special he was to everyone involved in his life.

Below are some pictures of little Gabe. We love you, little guy.

more to follow...

Thank you Kay for the awesome siggy!!!

More pictures of Baby Gabe.

Poor little fella. This is so sad. He was a cute little guy. Thank you for giving him the best life he could have for the short time he was here

Rest in Peace Gabe Play real hard at the bridge and enjoy being a puppy

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Oh my goodness. I do hope your new year will be filled with many joyous moments, since you ended the last year on such sad notes.
    I am so sorry.
    RIP Gabe.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I'm so sorry. Gabe was precious. God bless you for giving him a home if even for a short time. I believe he knew you were with him and he could hear you speak to him before he passed. He will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge one day. {hugs}
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Gabe knew the comfort of a home, the love of humans, the soft touch of gentle hands, and none of that was in his fture until you stepped forward. I am so sorry he couldn't be with you longer, Liz. You MADE a difference, and he knew it. RIP Gabe.

RIP little one. Oh what a precious and beautiful boy you were Gabe.
    Bless you and your fiance for trying to give this special boy a good home and the love he so deserved, I am so broken hearted for you both though, but he is not suffering anymore and at the RB he can be all that he as not allowed to be here on earth. Play hard now little Gabe, our furkids there before you will take care of you.

Bless you for giving Gabe the love he deserved. If you hadn't, he probably would never know what it was like to be treasured. He looks so happy in that 4th pic. My heart breaks for you. Gabe was a darling dog. Thanks so much for showing him love on his short visit here on this earth. He is now whole and healthy, waiting till you meet again at the RB. Gabe, you are loved and deeply missed, sweetheart.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

OMG... LES.
    What a beautiful, yet far too short, life Gabe lived.
    Bless you and your hubby for taking him in and showing him what love was.

Rest easy now Gabe, run free, and see the world and all it's glory for the first time.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

What a sad story.
    I don't know what it is about him but I think he is just so cute.
    He's funny looking but adorable at the same time.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Oh that is so sad. RIP Gabe. The person who owned the lap you were laying on when you passed away loved you very very much. Play at the Rainbow Bridge little cutie.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Hi all,

I hope that you're all right in thinking that he's free now, and can see, and is happier. I believe that to be true as well. A part of me thinks that maybe Gabe wanted to spare us from having to make the decision as to when/whether to end his life, so he made the choice for us. He was such a special little guy. Everyone he met, he made them smile. He was definitely a little funny looking, but that just added to his "charm" We wrapped him up in a special soft blanket and gave him a proper burial. I hope that at the bridge his head isn't swollen any more, and he can romp and play with all the pups there.

- Liz

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7
    I hope that at the bridge his head isn't swollen any more, and he can romp and play with all the pups there.

- Liz
    Liz..... be assured that he IS perfect now! No swollen head, perfect vision.. and he's running like the best of them now!
    But most importantly... he loves you and thanks you for giving him a normal life, as short as it was. He knew what it felt like to be loved and he knew what it was like being part of a loving family.
    {{{HUGS}}}
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Gabe was so beautiful. He is an Angel now. RIP, dear little Gabe.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Oh Gosh... I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face over that dear little boy Gabe. He looked like he was just so relieved and happy to be a part of your family, even if just for a short time. God Bless you for taking him in and showing him love and what family is. My heart just breaks for all of you in that kind of situation.

Play hard at the bridge sweet Gabe! You'll see your adopted family again, one fine day! Look in on them now and again, because they will be missing you.