Thread: Big Mistake! UPDATE 9/25

Big Mistake! UPDATE 9/25

Someone who will remain nameless adopted a black lab puppy. BIG BIG BIG mistake. She hates Callie because of her hyper jumpiness, and this puppy is only going to be as hyper and twice (three times! )the size.

So, since this puppy is only 8 weeks old, its cute, sweet, and utterly charming. Give it 4 weeks... then biting and chewing kicks in. Give it a few weeks of potty accidents. A few weeks of heavy-duty leash pulling. I can imagine her reaction the first time he chews her shoes And lets not forget jumping! I have the vague feeling that this is a passing thing for her, and she'll become frustrated soon enough.

I have a baaaaddd feeling about this. I CAN NOT tell this person that this is a huge mistake. Trust me on this one. Neither can my husband. Yet, somehow we'll be the ones taking in the puppy when its charm wears off

Big sigh. This person is all excited because she got a free pure bred puppy. I SERIOUSLY question free pure bred dogs, especially in this area. We live in puppy mill territory. God help us if she got a puppy mill puppy with inbred health issues

This isn't a cry for how to deal with the dog. Its not ours, and there's nothign we can do about it. I just see a major problem in the making and am totally unable to say or do anything about it. I'll just be the idiot who opens my home to the puppy when the fun wears off (and indeed it'll be WHEN)
    Last edited by catnapper; 09-25-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Oh dear.

Well, start getting the house ready for a puppy, then.

Oh no. You put up with so much from this "nameless" person. But you've got such a big heart I'm really not surprised. And I know you could never turn away a child or an animal just because of her irresponsibility.
    I just hope the puppy will come to you and not be dumped some where else. Maybe we can help find it a home when the time comes. Hmmm...how far away from Cali are you? Maybe by that time my brother will be ready for another dog. (Unless I get him to get one this weekend)
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

If it's who I think it is, WHAT WAS SHE THINKING???? Better you than me.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

WHAT WAS SHE THINKING????
    Putting her and "thinking" in the same sentence might not be quite accurate here... (sorry, Kim!)

But yes, Kim - why not line up a couple of potential homes for this puppy down the line? And when she is fed up with puppy, give HER the phone numbers to call.

If you take this pup, then she will be able to 'test run' all kinds of pets (potentially) and turn them over to you when they aren't cute any more.

Just a thought.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Hee hee.... so its not hard to guess who got the puppy!

I hope beyond hope that she surprises me. She's living with her boyfriend, who hates pets (he's the one who told Cameron that cats were for target practice) so this has disaster written all over it.

Hubby and I have talked about it and we both agree the puppy will be house hunting in a few months. I have let my feelings known that I do NOT want a puppy at this point. I just added another cat to the crew - I don't need a puppy too!

Oh that poor little puppy Please forgive me Kim, but this is a disaster just waiting to happen. Do you know if the little guy has been seen by a vet yet? My prayers are already being prayed for this puppy.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I hate being right. She's giving up the puppy. She says its because she has potty issues and Cameron is mean to her. Ummm... Cameron can be rough with the pets, but never mean.

I asked hubby what she plans on doing with the puppy, and he said he doesn't know, but he's also not offering to take her.

Sigh, poor puppy. She really is a sweet dog.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Don't you just hate it when you're right??? - in a case like this anyway!

Can you foster the pup till you can find it a home?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Trust me its a good thing she is giving up the puppy.. Oh I used to think Labs hung the moon until I had two of my own at diff times.. They are like you said Hyper, Diggers & can have some very serious medical problems & rear end problems.. My first Lab had all of that.. We was at the Vets more than we was not.. So glad you did not get stuck with the pup..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I think "she" can phone Humanes and shelters and find a foster on her own. If she is able to pawn it off to mom and dad this time, she will keep doing it.

JMO
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda