Thread: Flossie's Tumours - here we go again. (pics added post 9)

Flossie's Tumours - here we go again. (pics added post 9)

I meant to make a post about this much earlier, but never really had the time.

Flossie has not one but two mammary tumours. I first noticed them as raised, firm areas underneath her skin in mid-May, and by now they have pretty much quadrupled in size. They are both situated between her hind legs.

So far, she seems to be coping well. I haven't (yet) noticed any loss of mobility, nor any paralysis, so if there's a pituatary tumour there also, as was probably the case with Tia, it hasn't taken effect yet.

In herself she is bright and active, and still gets about both on the horizontal and the vertical, and will still jump off things and scare the life out of me, silly girl.

She eats like a pig - she's really loving being on this higher-calorie diet she's now getting!

It made my heart sink when I discovered the tumours, knowing that I'm going to have to go through all this a second time around. Yet, I suppose this is just the bane of keeping rats. And I wouldn't go without a little fuzzy rattie face peering at me each morning when I get up.

The only consolation is that at least I'll know that I'm doing everything right for her with regards to her care as she degenerates. With Tia I was in unknown territory.

I'm overdue on pics, I know, and I'll try to get them up soon.
    Last edited by Miss Z; 08-21-2009 at 02:01 PM.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Lots of healthy vibes coming Flossie's way from here. I hope she stays confortable for a good while yet.

Awww. That's the suckie part of girl rats they are so prone to tumours.

I hope little Flossie is ok. *hugs* Give her scritches for me.

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

(((((Hugs)))))!
    I am sorry you are having to go through this again. At least Flossie will be getting the best care possible. She is lucky she has such a great mum!

My last two remaining girls both have tumors at the moment. Pocky's is nearly the size of a ping pong ball, but it has not affected her in the slightest. Its been nearly two months and she is still going strong.

Good vibes headed that way for beautiful Flossie.

Thanks everyone.

Courtney, I'm glad Pocky is coping so well. Rats are so amazing and resilient, aren't they? Makes me feel embarassed sometimes when I let little problems weigh me down whilst Flossie's just getting on with life. I hope both your girls stay healthy and happy for much longer yet.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Flossie will be in my prayers.
    I am so sorry you have to go thorw this again.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

Zara,

You and Flossie will be in my thoughts and prayers, honey.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Aww, I hope she stays comfortable and happy for a long time to come.
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks everyone. As promised, here are some pics of the little girl.

In her hammock that she loves to sleep in

You can see one of the tumours quite clearly in this one. It sort of sticks out a bit when she sits on her haunches.

LOL, like owner, like pet, it seems.

Best friends! Ick, I don't like my hair scraped off my face that much, haha.

That's all. You can see that she's lost a bit of condition since I last posted pics of her, but overall for an old lady she's still looking quite divine, and has retained her baby-face even up til now!

Zimbabwe 07/13

There is that beautiful girl! I am happy to see Flossie is still doing well. She has to be one of the prettiest rats. I love how she has the lighter blue color opposed to the darker variety.

By the way, how old is Flossie now? It seems like just yesterday you added her to the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Oyster View Post

By the way, how old is Flossie now? It seems like just yesterday you added her to the family.
    Flossie turned 2 years old on the 3rd August. She had her own little cake that I baked for her covered in small-animal-friendly chocolate drops (which she goes crazy for) .

I suppose it doesn't seem that long ago since I was posting her introduction thread! To me I forget what it was like not to have her, or Tia, around. Once you have rats you never go back.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Aww I am sorry to hear about Flossie's tumours ....

She is still as gorgeous as ever though
    -Ellie

'If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?'- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

I made some Eton Mess last night and naturally couldn't leave Floss out

Zimbabwe 07/13