Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: books about cats

books about cats

I saw the thread about books, but how about one for cat stories?

which books have you read about cats? I just bought the book Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper, about a blind cat. I want to get the book Dewey, about a kitten put into the book depository at a library. I also want to read Vet Confidential, ( a book listed on the back of "Homer")

another cat book I have read is: (besides cat health books) chicken soup for the cat lover's soul.
    I can't remember the other titles now, I will have to get them out of a box to look at the titles, I have somethings packed already.

Quote Originally Posted by allmycats View Post
    I saw the thread about books, but how about one for cat stories?

which books have you read about cats? I just bought the book Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper, about a blind cat. I want to get the book Dewey, about a kitten put into the book depository at a library. I also want to read Vet Confidential, ( a book listed on the back of "Homer")

another cat book I have read is: (besides cat health books) chicken soup for the cat lover's soul.
    I can't remember the other titles now, I will have to get them out of a box to look at the titles, I have somethings packed already.
    A Snowflake in My Hand by Samantha Mooney.

I also have the one you mention - Homer's Odyssey. Haven't read it yet.

Both of these are available at Amazon.

Two Bobbies is about a dog and a cat teaming up to survive Hurricane Katrina.

The Cat Who Wouldn't Come Inside is geared to very young kids, with gorgeous art and a fun, goofy ending.

Love, Columbine

another good cat story-Jenny. about a cat and a boy, the boy turns into a cat and Jenny the cat teaches him how to do things like a cat etc.

and- rescue ink! not just about cats though
    (Blue--thanks for the info!)

Dewey the Library Cat is a MUST read!! I'm reading it now and cannot put it down. Another fascinating cat book is "The Book of Cats". It is a fascinating book that helps you understand cats, what they do, and why.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

There are 3 series of cat-themed mysteries I read: The Cat Who... series by Lillian Jackson Braun, the Mrs. Murphy mysteries by Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown (the cat), and the Joe Grey mysteries by Sherry Rousseau Murphy.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I'm reading all of the "Cat Who..." series from the beginning (I've read them all at one point or another). LOVE Qwilleran and the meezers!

Also reading Dewey and finished All my patients are under the Bed. Love any cat book!
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

Theres a great book called Planet Cat, which is one of the best Cat Books that I have ever read.
    And Malcom and Me is a Good
    Canadian Book.
    And the Polar Bear Trilogy by Clevland Amory.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Love this thread

I've also read "Dewey, The Library Cat" - it was wonderful. I have read the entire Rita Mae Brown series and thoroughly enjoyed. My favourite cat mystery series is "Joe Grey and his lady, Dulcie and their pal Kit", Shirley Rousseau Murphy - can't wait for the new one due to be released in late October.

Just got "Homer's Odyssey" and looking forward to reading it - reviews are really good for this book.

Thanks for the many other suggestions - purrfect for bedtime reading.

I spend so much of my time reading reference and technical material, as well as economic research reports that when I can find a good cat story, life is good. Cat and other animal related tails are a wonderful source of relaxation and fun. Takes me away from "wurk"!!

Another book I have read recently that I just loved is "The Art of Racing In The Rain" as seen through the eyes of his dog Enzo, by Garth Stein, a Seattle-based writer. Highly recommended.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

There is a series of books by Erin Hunter, Warrior Cats!

The story follows a colony of feral cats. All the cats talk. Read them in order, for proper character development, and to follow plot lines. Written for young adults, each one is an easy read, and very true to life, IMO. Only liberty she takes: the cats mate for life. (I did say this is a series for young adults! )

Here is the web site:
    http://www.warriorcats.com/warriorshell.html

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
    And the Polar Bear Trilogy by Cleveland Amory.
    I have the Polar Bear Trilogy in one volume; my cousin Linda (hooman) who joined her beloved Silver Belle (kitty) at the RB a little over a year ago had it in her collection and I enjoyed it. Others (I'm quite addicted): Cat Miracles by Brad&Sherry Hansen Steiger, Angel Cats by Allen&Linda Anderson, Dewey, of course, which I've bought twice, as I lent it to a friend and it didn't come back, If Your Cat Could Talk by Dr. Bruce Fogle, the Greatest Cat Stories Ever Told by various authors, and Hugs for Cat Lovers by Tammy L Bicket and Dawn M Brandon. Personal favorites: Dewey, Hugs, and Angel Cats.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander (ages 9-12) is about a cat who can travel through time, and brings his human friend with him. I loved it, and I'm 48!

Love, Columbine

Rita Mae Brown! That's the human part of the team that I had a brain f@rt on.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I've read a few "The cat who..." books by Lilian Jackson Brown, which I loved. Also "Curiousity killed the catsitter", I enjoyed.

How about we make a list of authors who have written books where cats are a big part of the story?

Add the authors below - and I'll have a nice list to bring along to the library. I'll start with these:

• Blaize Clement
    • Lilian Jackson Brown

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    There is a series of books by Erin Hunter, Warrior Cats!

The story follows a colony of feral cats. All the cats talk. Read them in order, for proper character development, and to follow plot lines. Written for young adults, each one is an easy read, and very true to life, IMO. Only liberty she takes: the cats mate for life. (I did say this is a series for young adults! )

Here is the web site:
    http://www.warriorcats.com/warriorshell.html
    ooh that sounds like a good book! I will have to get that one, and some others listed here. I have several cat health/behavior books, plus others that are just "cat stories". I will post my list tomorrow. Pam Johnson-something, is a good author. He writes about cat behavior.
    oh one book I have is titled "twisted whiskers"--I think she wrote that one but not sure.

don't forget the chicken soup for the cat lovers soul- its great!