Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just When You Think Things Couldn't Get Worse

Just When You Think Things Couldn't Get Worse

OK, so we lost Gabby, Shadow had teeth/mouth surgery, Bo just got out of the hospital, only to have Sable (mom cat) there today. Sadly she has come down with the same throat condition as Gabby. They will be running more tests to try and figure out just what this is and what is causing it. It's all so scary and expensive. If this continues we will have to make some pretty sad decisions and choices. We have over 30 cats and no way can afford vet bills for all. Shadow was over $700, Bo was over $600, Gabby was montly shot of $30, and Blaze has an issue we have to medicate with monthly also.

Unfortunately a lot of our cats are getting up in the years, at least 10 - 13 and more and more will begin to happen. Let's hope Sable has a stronger immune system since she is much younger than Gabby was.

All blood work is coming back fine with all cats. Cultures are a different story.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Is there something that could be put in the food or something to boost the immune systems?

How awfully sad...I hope it stops with Sable, and that she and Bo recover.

Maybe the cheapest route (relatively speaking) would be to put them all on antibiotics?

HUGS and PRAYERS!!!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Is there something that could be put in the food or something to boost the immune systems?

How awfully sad...I hope it stops with Sable, and that she and Bo recover.

Maybe the cheapest route (relatively speaking) would be to put them all on antibiotics?

HUGS and PRAYERS!!!
    That might not be a bad idea. Waiting now for Kevin to get home from the vet and hope for at least some better news!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    L-Lysine.

--------
    I am so sorry to hear of the troubles. And I understand totally. Prayers for everyone.

Yes, I think Catty1's idea is a good one. It would probably be less expensive to get some Clindamycin and administer it yourself to your cats but Convenia is great. One injection and they're good for two weeks. I can definitely sympathize w/you and the vet expense. It comes in waves here. We go for a while w/no problems and then suddenly several get sick at once. The vet bills become crippling at times. I do hope that things improve for you and your furkids soon. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I'm so sorry for all your cats health problems, I know how you feel on a much smaller scale. I have a fraction of the cats you have and they have had alot of health issues. I was going to suggest L-lysine but I see someone already did, it's suposed to boost the immune system.

30 cats! wow, how do you have the room for them? seems like you could almost register as a cat rescue, and then I wonder if there are places where you could apply for some financial help? just a thought, I don't know how many cats are considered a rescue.

have you talked to the vets, maybe they can help you with the payments, let you pay the bills off on a monthly basis?

I'm so sorry. Fear over the kitties' health and anxiety over money is a horrible combination.

I hope that Sable can shake off her illness and that the vet figures out a way to stop it from spreading.

Lisa, consider the Convenia shot that Mary mentioned. Could a vet visit and give them all the one-time 2 week shot?

Or even come outside and do them in their carriers while they are in your vehicle?

HUGS!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

The vets are feeling a bit confused over all this. Gabby had this for quite some time and now all of a sudden Sable has come down with it. The confusion is where did it start (cats are indoor only) and who/what is the host. We will all be working on solving this and hopefuly no others come down with it. Sable does seem to be handling it a bit better than Gabby. She at least has the desire to eat where Gabby didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by allmycats View Post
    I'm so sorry for all your cats health problems, I know how you feel on a much smaller scale. I have a fraction of the cats you have and they have had alot of health issues. I was going to suggest L-lysine but I see someone already did, it's suposed to boost the immune system.

30 cats! wow, how do you have the room for them? seems like you could almost register as a cat rescue, and then I wonder if there are places where you could apply for some financial help? just a thought, I don't know how many cats are considered a rescue.

have you talked to the vets, maybe they can help you with the payments, let you pay the bills off on a monthly basis?
    Actually our vets have given/gives us breaks wherever possible.

As far a room, we have a large outside cat run that they have access to along with the garage and the inside house. We have those that want nothing to do with coming in the house and will stay mainly between the garage (which has an a/c, food, water, beds) and the cat run. Surprisingly it all works out well. This is a very old picture but will give you an idea what the cat run looks like

And here's Sable

Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear this. Hopefully you'll be able to find out what's causing it. I feel overwhelmed by my 5 cats at times so I can't even imagine how you're feeling right now. Things will get better. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

I'm sorry you are going through this now Lisa, and I know just how you feel. You desperately want to give your cats the very best but that can run into thousands of dollars, especially when you are waging war on something ill defined. I feel guilty every time I spend more (often much more) on a foster than I should because the shelter won't, and then one of my own needs a visit to the vet. I'm forced to medicate them myself and hope for the best until the next pay check. I just had to borrow money from a cat rescue friend to pay for Maeve's extractions (which were done at a cheap spay/neuter vet she knows and trusts) because I'd shelled out nearly $1,000 on a foster. It can get very depressing and definitely frightening. This afternoon I need to leave early because I have to dig a grave for a foster who was with me only 10 days. I hate, hate doing that but I can't spend money on private cremation when it's needed for general care.

I'm hoping for the very best for Sable - isn't she the mom cat you rescued along with two kittens, one of them called Gable, or am I getting things mixed up?

I've had two viruses in my home that kept going through several of the cats at a time, coming in waves, and they each started with one cat. The vomiting/no appetite virus was Sam's Virus, and the copious violent sneezing snot flying up the walls one was Taranis' Virus. The second one has cost me a fortune in vet fees though it seems to be in abeyance at present. Here's hoping this virus wave of yours will pass soon.

I will have to ask my Vet about L Lysine and Covenia Shots for Michael 18, Princess 18 and JJJ3 16.
    And Of Course the Kitten trio and any New Found Cats too.
    This is such a good site , as I have never heard of those options before!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
    I'm sorry you are going through this now Lisa, and I know just how you feel. You desperately want to give your cats the very best but that can run into thousands of dollars, especially when you are waging war on something ill defined. I feel guilty every time I spend more (often much more) on a foster than I should because the shelter won't, and then one of my own needs a visit to the vet. I'm forced to medicate them myself and hope for the best until the next pay check. I just had to borrow money from a cat rescue friend to pay for Maeve's extractions (which were done at a cheap spay/neuter vet she knows and trusts) because I'd shelled out nearly $1,000 on a foster. It can get very depressing and definitely frightening. This afternoon I need to leave early because I have to dig a grave for a foster who was with me only 10 days. I hate, hate doing that but I can't spend money on private cremation when it's needed for general care.

I'm hoping for the very best for Sable - isn't she the mom cat you rescued along with two kittens, one of them called Gable, or am I getting things mixed up?

I've had two viruses in my home that kept going through several of the cats at a time, coming in waves, and they each started with one cat. The vomiting/no appetite virus was Sam's Virus, and the copious violent sneezing snot flying up the walls one was Taranis' Virus. The second one has cost me a fortune in vet fees though it seems to be in abeyance at present. Here's hoping this virus wave of yours will pass soon.
    I'm sorry for you also. It's not easy rescuing and trying to come up with funds when things go wrong. Sadly it seems it comes in waves. We haven't had issues for a long time and now all this!

Yes Sable was rescued with her 2 kittens Gable and Garbo. They all still reside here and have been some of our most pleasant rescues. All very loving.

Woo Hoo...Sable ate dry food this morning!! All I've been able to get down her is baby food. Yee Haw....