Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! 8 month old feral giving birth *new photos on page 6 posts 81 & 82*

HELP!!! 8 month old feral giving birth *new photos on page 6 posts 81 & 82*

Guys, I have never had to experience birthing of kittens in a cat so young and I don't know what to do. She seems to be having some trouble. Can anyone give me an idea about how long is too long for the birth of a kitten. She has been trying to push the little one out for about 5 - 10 minutes. I am thinking that isn't very long. She has no idea what is happening or what to do as she is on the cold marble floor even with 3 different warm, soft places for her to birth them. What can I do? What should I look for to know when it is time to help? Any and all advise would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks
    Misty (feral kitty) & Michelle
    Last edited by kittycats_delight; 05-16-2011 at 02:41 PM.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

I don't know either, you'll get some good posts here...but call your vet too and ask!

PT Prayers for mommy and wee ones.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Called the vet but our vet is on holidays. The problem with that is both him and his wife are the only vets in our clinic and both are gone. Reached his wife by cell phone and she talked to us and told us to call another vet who is looking after any emergencies while they are gone.

She said it could take hours for the first baby to be born. She also said to put a little bit of honey on the mother's gums as she uses up a lot of energy and will need to sugars to keep her going.

I want to pull out my hair. I HATE irresponsible people. This is the reason why I am stressing out and this little cat (kitten really) is having babies. PEOPLE SUCK!!!!

Stay calm, girl. Or else you will stress mama out.

Is she in a crate? Is she approachable? You're doing a great thing, Michelle!! Hang in there. Let nature take it's course. The whole process takes about 10 hours from the first kitten to last. Just watch over her. If she doesn't tear open the sac of each kitten, you'll have to do it for her. Make sure, if she's feral, you wear gloves. But you KNOW that!!! Also make sure that the kittens are breathing and she starts grooming them the minute they're born. She'll clean them up and they'll start nursing. Watch to also make sure no kitten is rejected. If so, you MAY need to bottle feed it. Be prepared for sleep deprivation.

I posted instructions on FB for you as well. I forgot you're in Italy or I'd call you. Please keep us posted.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I'm afraid I don't have any advice to help, have never experienced a cat giving birth, but I hope it will go well.

Have a look here:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=cat%2...utf-8&oe=utf-8

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

She is approachable. She started coming to me about a week ago. Yesterday she was acting out of sorts. So I brought out the carrier in hopes of catching her. No catching was necessary. She came to investigate the carrier and I gave her a little push on the tush and she went right in no problems at all. She has been calm all night but she was very uncomfortable this morning and couldn't settle. I checked on her before we (hubby & I) were going to go out and she was soaked. I cleaned up the mess on the floor. There was no crowning at that point. About 10 minutes or so later she has a bubble. That was about an hour ago. She still hasn't pushed this one out. She is pooping all over the moon with the pressure from pushing. She likes the honey the vet said to give her to keep up her energy & strength so that is good. She licks it right off my finger. Anyway, off to check on her again. Will let you know about the progress.

Thanks ^_^

As others said, it can take hours. You are doing the right things, it's okay!
    I've Been Frosted

Many, many prayers are being prayed for this kitty and her babies

Thank you for caring so much about these precious little lives and doing what you can to help. My prayers and good thoughts are with you too. As you can, please let us know how the new kitty family is doing.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

We have the first kitten. Black & white, given birth to while I was on the phone with Donna. TYSM Donna ^_^ The little one is being cleaned and is feeding already. She was so confused that this thing was hanging from her and won't let go she was growling at it. I got her and baby into the box immediately. He is nice and warm. Just waiting for the placenta to pass now. Off to check on her again.

Thanks everyone ^_^

Michelle,

She will eat the placentas, which is normal and has a boatload of nutrients in it!!! It's good for her AND the babies!!

Glad I was able to help. Like I said, I'll call you a little later to see how everything is going!!

Great job!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Misty just had her second baby. All black with a white bikini. Going to attach photos of Misty from 2 days ago and 1 of the first baby. Second one is not a pretty sight due to the birthing 'mess'.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Misty.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	47120   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Misty-&-Baby.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	47121  

Whew! I was on the edge of my seat reading these posts! Donna gave you excellent advice. It's been so long since I've had a cat that had kittens that I couldn't remember how long the process was. We had a similar experience nearby. A 6 month old cat, kitten actually, gave birth to 3 adorable kittens. Mama had been declawed and tossed out while pregnant. Nice people, huh? The rescuer is currently looking for homes for all 4 of them. One is a tuxie, one a tiger, one an orangie and mom looks to be a dilute tortie. I wish I could take them all. You're doing great, girlie. Hang in there.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

What a special experience, and you're doing great! I just saw she had kitten #2. Misty is beautiful, and though she may be a little confused about the whole thing, I'm sure she'll be a good mom.

Please keep us updated - and good luck!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Oh my gosh, Misty looks like she could be my Yodie's twin! Love the photos. What a time you're having, huh? Wish I could be there to help but you're doing fine all by yourself. Mom will do just fine, too. Her motherly instincts have already kicked in.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

She looks SO much like Mattie Grace, the Russian Blue I took in years ago in MI. She was VERY pregnant and gave birth in one of my bedrooms. It was a beautiful experience. One I will ALWAYS remember. But I'm glad I got her spayed and found all of them homes.

Give yourself a pat on the back from me from across the sea, Michelle!!