Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your occupations

Originally posted by rosethecopycat
    My husband and I are both professional musicians in the Orlando area. ...
    How cool! that sounds like so much fun. Do you play an instrument? What do you play? I didn't persue it professionally, but I loved the band in college and was in 4 different bands, plus the honerary band sorority(Tau Beta Sigma)! LOL

How neat it is to hear about other PTer's professions! I work in a small startup type company that specializes in e-services (B2B ecommerce, eFax, eHub...etc). My title is Product Applications Engineer... Who knows what that's really supposed to mean? LOL What I do is work in 3 different departments: Customer Support, Pre-Sales & Mktg and IT. I train customers on our products: both in person and over the web via web comferencing, create sales collateral and presentations and the company inter/intra nets. If you look at our company website (which I really need to update!! ) you may even see me in the banner at the top of the screen! The banner changes every time the page is refreshed or if you go to a different page. I have put various company employees in the banner rather than random people. I thought it would be a fun touch
    I'm also in the process of learning BizTalk since a lot of our products are going to be integrated with it. I am also learning and going to implement the SharePoint Server Portal.
    It's a fun job, because there are many things to do and I get to interact with different people and learn a lot. The downside is my commute from you know where and the cost of living of the Bay Area!!

I really like what I'm doing now, but I really have a call for an animal-related career. I may persue that sometime down the road. Maybe something in rescue, behavior, or vet tech
    Last edited by wolflady; 11-20-2002 at 03:30 PM.

I work for a large insurance company as a web developer. I work in the Catastrophe department (natural disasters) doing technical projects and such. I also work with our company's Mentoring Program, which is something I really like doing. I love my boss and the people I work with...something that makes me enjoy coming to work...

One day, I'll be done with school and will be working in a "Children's Hospital" with terminally ill children, I'm really looking forward to doing something that calls to my heart.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Currently, I am a rehabilitation Counsellor at the worker's compensation board. I help get injured worker's back to work and co-ordinate their medical and rehab care. I just started doing this in July. For seven years previously, I was a child protection social worker.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

4. , I'm really looking forward to doing something that calls to my heart.
    That is so well described! Earlier this week I was talking with one of my old "running mates" about what we want to do in our next job. I said I wanted to work -- in hr -- but with a non-profit. (A friend of mine does hr with the Lyric Opera -- sounds so fun!) Anyway...he asked me why a non-profit? -- since on top of everything they don't pay as well. I blathered on about vocation/avocation -- pride in who I do things for as well as what I do...blah,. blah, blah.

You have perfectly described what I was trying to say ...do something that calls to my heart!

Right now I'm a college student working odd jobs. I'm a music major so I do a few gigs when I get a chance. I work for a theatre leauge, which does productions here in Tucson and Phoenix, so when a musical comes into town I'm usually playing in the pitt. I'm also a member of the Blazer Quintet (woodwind quintet) and Apacalypso (which is a small steel drum ensemble) and we play weddings and such. Then I also work for a pet sitting company and right now my main job (the one that pays the bills) is working for a research marketing firm.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I am a dog/cat groomer. Have been for 18 1/2 years.

Re: A tired office worker for sure

Originally posted by sasvermont
    I am an office administrator for a law firm in Burlington. I had this same position in Philadelphia for many years. I am very tired of it, needless to say. I have had my share of nasty clients, immature lawyers and miserable staff. Is it Friday yet?

SAS- ain't you so SASSY? My mom 'warned' me that someone had unkind words about attorneys..and it was YOU!!!! Why, I never! Define "immature" for me...

Yup, I am a lawyer, totally love it, and am suited for the job..fortunetly or unfortunetly, you decide. Small firm, general litigation, enough action to keep me hoppin' , not enough to make me crazy (I am not!). I was a claims adjuster, til I went back to school..

I work in the media relations deppartment of the weizmann institute of science which is I think the most successful one in Israel. I manage the archives of the department and update our website with our new publications.

Right now I work at Petco as a Bath and Brusher and I also do Pet Portraits. I used to work at a Gas Station. I'm poor.

I'd like to major in art in college. I have no clue how I'm going to have a "career" in the "real world." I'm a total loser, and I have absolutely no skills, especially no people skills........*sigh* I guess I'll just have to wait for that rich husband lol.

Hi Efrat , Weizmann Inst. is well known
    all over the world , but you already know that. Would you mind post the Institut'URL , or send it to me via PM?
    I'd apreciate! And my father even more!
    Thanks .

OK .I'm a kind of Production Manager in a very small company which trade with chemical and pharmaceutical products for animal food an care. I'm the responsible one for EVERYTHING that happens there.
    Plus I'm the only girl there and it's not fun, not easy. I feel lonely I'd appreciate another girl there to keep me company.

"That calls to my heart" is make ceramics, I lost my change some time ago. I was a hard decision it's no easy to earn you life in artistic work.

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    Right now I work at Petco as a Bath and Brusher and I also do Pet Portraits. I used to work at a Gas Station. I'm poor.

I'd like to major in art in college. I have no clue how I'm going to have a "career" in the "real world." I'm a total loser, and I have absolutely no skills, especially no people skills........*sigh* I guess I'll just have to wait for that rich husband lol.
    Awww come on! You're job is so much fun and not bad at all for an 18 year old! Do you know that most kids your age don't even work? They're too busy studying. You still have your parents at home to feed you and clothe you, so don't worry about the job now. Worry about it when you're older and on your own. As for now, enjoy all the pets you meet at Petco. Hmmm..............well, since your a girl, if you get a "rich" husband, you may not even have to work. Don't worry just yet! LOL!

As for me, I'm am currently just a high school student, but I hope to be an elementry school teacher some day and a part-time artist.

I'm a student, and I can't even find a part time job. The economy in this province is sad, sad, sad.. thank god for my wonderful parents and a trust fund scholarship!

When I'm out of school I'm going to teach high school English

I'm a retired bookkeepper. Retired! Its fantastic! The best job in the whole wide world!!
    I get to spend 24/7 with my cats and on the computer. Whatever I want to do when I want to do it. It sounds selfish, and it is, but I've earned it.

I work for an ophthalmologist now on a part-time basis doing medical transcription and helping out the receptionists. I was doing this full time and more heavily involved with the patients but cut back to part time in '97. I really enjoy my hours but do sometimes miss the interaction with the patients. Many of ours are senior citizens who have sought us out for their cataract surgery. The downside is we become so attached to some of them and so many have now passed away. One couple in particular was so sweet and would send us postcards when they went on vacation. When the husband passed away we all went to his funeral. Others shower us with "goodies from the kitchen." Of course there are the grouchy folks but I find that the sweet ones far outnumber the grouches.

I was almost sure that most of us work either in offices (work with people) or veterinary clinics - it's true. I sure hope all the professions shouldn't exclude love for animals. I am glad that also at any age people choose to share their lives, homes with pets.