Thread: separation anxiety

separation anxiety

I think Riley has a lot of separation anxiety. He cries and carries on so much in the crate, and even when we get home and take him out, all he wants to do is sit on our feet or be right next to us, not do his business.
    I have no idea what kind of past he had, all the lady told me was that he was a big baby.
    When we got Abbey, she had some separation anxiety, but leaving her and Kito together made that easier, but we cannot keep the three of them together just yet.
    If anyone has any suggestions to make it a little easier for this poor guy when we have to go somewhere, let me know!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Probably the best advice we received was to leave Millie alone for 15 mins before we left her and 15 mins after arriving home (we still have to do this or she jumps). We also would drop treats "out of the sky" when we were getting ready to leave (this was the time that produced the most stress)for her. This actually seemed to be the thing that helped her the most. Of course, we also stopped crating her around that time too.

I have also heard that--thanks for your response Micki. He just whines all the time, and it is sad--I know he is healthy, he probably still misses his other "family" I have also thought of the possiblity that maybe he was taken from his mommy too soon.
    Poor little guy.

I agree with you he was probably taken too young.Mojo(our rescue lab mix) we got at 7 weeks and he had allready gone from South Carolina to a rescue in Pennsilvania and we were in Md. He bonded to Dakota right away but we had to spend alot of time with him and he hated to be alone.He stilll cries when my son leaves and sometimes when we leave.He has really bonded to my son-his Dad-he took lots of attention but we did that with treats and training too, so he worked for things as well.I think it is really hard for them to be taken young.He has adjusted really well and though he still cries a little it stops realatively quickly after my son leaves if we are there or after everyone leaves.He does cry when he gets home from school if he doesn't give him attention right away.Hold on you will get past this point.He has been through alot at such a young age.
    Laurie

Thanks Laurie--I feel so bad--I went to pick up dinner, and when I came back I took him out, but all he did was cry and want to sit on my feet. We went outside, and he ran right back over to the door to go in. I ate my dinner, and he laid at my feet, whining, with his head down, not begging for the food, and then we went out, and he went potty.

I am glad he went back out and went.Poor baby.He sounds like he needs some special love.He is lucky he found you.I know he will come around.Hang in there..He sounds like Mojo when we first got him.It drove my daughter nuts he would whine alot but my son just held him and loved him and now he is so wonderful and the star of his puppy class.They are a wonderful pair.They love each other so much.It brings me such joy to see.I am so happy we got him.
    Laurie
    PS My son just saw Riley and says that he looks like Mojo.Then he got Mojo so he could see and meet Riley to and told Mojo to meet his new friend so they met through the net.
    Last edited by Byakko's Mom; 03-30-2003 at 08:17 PM.