Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andy pulls a fast one!

Andy pulls a fast one!

Trevor and Andy had appointments last night for their routine check-ups. My usual plan is to bring the cat carriers into the bathroom (easier to catch them in there) one by one, and then load the cats into the carriers in there. Last night I decided to bring the cats into the bathroom first because I didn't want them to see me moving the carriers and get wise to what was going to happen. I had Andy in there first, and when I opened the door to put Trevor in, Andy ran out and went under the bed. No amount of kitty treats or even catnip could get him out. I finally had to wind up just taking Trevor. The receptionist said she was very familiar with cats not appearing for their appointments because of just this reason. I am wondering how many of you ever had to cancel a vet appointment for your cat because they were hiding or you were just unable to physically get them into the carriers (my boys put up quite a struggle!)

We have had some near misses but we haven't had to cancel an appointment....... yet.

We don't feed them before trying to catch them, that makes it easier.

Like you, we also shut the cat/cats in one room before we bring out the carrycases.

I have had to wrap George in a clean teacloth, in order to get him in his box at one stage. But this was when he had a bladder problem and was going to the vets practically daily, he was very fed up.

When I tried to place him in the box, he stuck out at least 10 (?) limbs to brace himself again the box. But when I wrapped his front legs gently again his belly with a teacloth, he popped in no problem.

Hey Andy!! I like the way you think!!! My mom has had to cancel an appointment for me before too because I was too smart for her and didn't let her find me in time for my appointment!! Good going!!!

Your friend,
    Butter

Oh Pam, can I relate! Getting Fister into the carrier can be quite a challenge, but lately it's been a bit easier.

We normally lock him in either the bathroom or kitchen, but he's been known to escape before the door was closed. If he does, he usually hides under the bed or under a cupboard in the bedroom. In this case, the hoover comes out! And within a minute, he's in the bathroom or kitchen!

So far, we've never had to cancel an appointment, but there has been bloodshed a few times!

Good luck next time!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I have had similar occurances with Nimue. My mom was going to take her to the vet and I hadn't told her not to move the cat carrier, we couldn't find Nimue for about a week.
    Then, when I came to pick up Nimue so I could move her in with my girlfriend and myself, my mom had put Nimue in her bedroom. When I arrived to pick her up, we couldn't find her anywhere. I had thought she had escaped, but I recalled what my friend had told me about when she had Nimue. So I looked inside the boxspring of the bed, low and behold there she was in the middle of the queensized bed in the boxspring. It took quite a bit to get her out of there
    Last edited by pyrrhic; 05-13-2003 at 09:54 AM.

Finding Edwina is not the problem...it is getting her in the carrier. We prefer to use the small carrier for visits to the vet and Edwina gets SO BIG when I am trying to get her in the suddenly small door of the carrier.

We always have the harness as a fallback if she just won't go in....

Kona hates the carrier, too. After trying unsuccessfully to put her in it so many times, I gave up and now I just carry her. Of course, this means that it takes an extra person for the event, to drive the car. Good thing we live close to the vet.
    Oreo and Molly

We have no trouble getting Hayley and Mandy in their carriers at all. The carriers are always out in the cats room. Sometimes they go inside and take a nap. The problem with my two is getting them out of the carrier when we arrive at the vet's office. The vet usually has to tip the carrier up so that they practically fall out!
    Rosemary, Hayley & Mandy

Our little angel.

"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the Animal Kingdom"
    -Robert Southey

LOL.
    I agree with the Vacuum suggestion... gets them out at least...
    getting them into the carrier..is another thing.

Our carriers are always out too, but they seem to KNOW that the vet day has arrived, and push and pull, and try to see how much air they can hold to blow up like a balloon to not fit in there, and meow like you're killing them! It's SUCH an adventure lol

This is so amusing to someone who doesn't live with a cat. Hope you don't mind my chuckling at your expense.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Gosh I never thought of bringing out the vacuum cleaner. That probably would have worked! It always takes two of us to 'load' the cats into the carriers once we have managed to get them into the bathroom. We turn the carrier on its end and my husband holds the top part of the cat, just behind the front legs, and I grab both rear legs, which are flailing at this point with claws fully extended, along with the tail and gently guide rear legs and tail into the carrier with the cat going in rear end first. Without a second person I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to do it at all.

Yep - I've had to cancel vet appointments - Abby is my impossible cat. I bring the cat carrier out the day before, and then I have to shut all the bedroom doors and shut the doors to the main part of the house. She hates it. She knows what is going on, and refuses to cooperate. She doesn't eat treats at all (weird cat will only eat cat food), so that doesn't help me at all. She does like catnip, so I have tried that, but she is really stubborn.

over 20 years and just as many cats, I never had to cancel an appointment.

I cannot say the same for my mom and her cat Hamlet. He would go into the cellar and find the one place that no human could reach into and he'd stay there until the coast was clear.

Oh yes...Olivia is VERY familiar with hiding from me during load the carrier time. I've had to cancel one appointment so far and have decided she needs Saturday appointments so Daddy can be the mean one.

Andy....how old are you? Olivia is looking for a boy friend...I think you two would be cute together.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

The vacuum cleaner works just to get them where you can grab them LOL. In fact, all I have to do to get to that step is show them the vacuum cleaner! I don't even have to turn it on, they know what it is, and we just got a new bagless, and they STILL know what that machine is!

Now for going into the carrier, its still a two people job. so my husband gets to be the bad guy.. mainly because he's stronger than I am, and boy do they fight back...

So.. Andy... I think you have an admirer with Olivia... do i sense another new kitty love in the air??