Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Monkeys as Pets

He stays right around the house, if he isn't in the back yard he is the front yard. Or he is looking in the window, banging on the window with a rock or something. He was so funny when they were putting the new top on our house they would have to go look for their hammers and othe equipment because he would steal them and run off with them! My little theif!! Just need to teach him to go after bigger things. Maybe try his hand at the bank????

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

LOL! I remember hearing Jimbo fussing about your monkeys one time! Now I know why! I seen one grab a coke and run off as fast as it could and it was monkey laughing on the run! My eyes almost poped out!

They are thieves! I seen Mario pick up a 2 litter drink that was sitting on the counter and he took off and was going out he petdoor with it, a cat petdoor... he was trying to fit it out sideways. Walking just on his back legs, like a person. He steals Jimmy's cookies too.

Willie

What an adorable little guy!!!!! SOOOO CUTE!!! MORE PICTURES!!

That doesn't look like a Capuchin monkey to me. Is it a "sub-specie" of the Capuchin? All the Caps I have seen look like this:

LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

There are different species. Like I said I just can't remember for the life of me which. Its been to long.

More Pictures:

Mario is adorable.Monkeys look like such fun pets.
    ~Your best friend doesn't have to be human~

Originally posted by YellowLabLover

That doesn't look like a Capuchin monkey to me. Is it a "sub-specie" of the Capuchin? All the Caps I have seen look like this:

Actually it is a capuchin. What she has is Cebus apella, or a Black capped/Tufted Capuchin or Brown. There, so now you know what kind of monkey you have Willie.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Thanks Cass, I could not remember the name! All I knew it was capped something. So it is a Cebus apella? You know back when we first got him and his wife, there was no info on them at all. I went to the library, found nothing but the definition! Is there a lot of information on them now by searching the Internet?

I gave up on it so many years ago, and just learned as I go kind of thing. Guess I need to do a search on it and find out more. Of course Mario thinks he knows eveything. Ummmm I wonder if he is going to show up for Thursdays this week? I think Richard said it was the year of the monkey or something. Think we should bring Mario again?

Willie

Of course we should bring him!

I LOVE this pic!

Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

If you get there before I do, I'll let him go with you. And save me a seat next to the fireplace!

This is such an interesting thread! I always wondered what it would be like to have a monkey. He sounds very similar to my mentally-handicapped cousin, Robert. Really! It sounds like he is very human. Sounds like somebody you would live with and look out for, not like a pet.

So you must live somewhere really warm, huh?

Can they be housetrained? I'd hate to keep a monkey in a cage, but where we live you could never keep one outside. Not that I'm thinking of getting one, I'm just curious.

Does he drink out of cups? Does he use a straw? Does he sleep in a bed?

Does he let you bathe him?

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

This is such an interesting thread! I always wondered what it would be like to have a monkey. He sounds very similar to my mentally-handicapped cousin, Robert. Really! It sounds like he is very human. Sounds like somebody you would live with and look out for, not like a pet.

So you must live somewhere really warm, huh?

Can they be housetrained? I'd hate to keep a monkey in a cage, but where we live you could never keep one outside. Not that I'm thinking of getting one, I'm just curious.

Does he drink out of cups? Does he use a straw? Does he sleep in a bed?

Does he let you bathe him?

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

I live in Tennessee, and the weather does get cold. Mario just knows when to go to his house that is kept heated. He drinks out of cups, uses a straw, and will come in the house sometimes. His purpose is to steal when he comes in the house. He can open a door and come in if he wants to. I have seen him use rocks and other tools to as a hammer.

Sometimes he gets at the window and pecks on it with one of his makeshift tools. He loves to wrestle and he loves to be tickled. He does not like to take a bath. At all! If you are eating something and he sees it, you have to share. He loves to eat anything we eat. He love mac and cheese, coffee, potatoes, baked or creamed.

When he comes in the house and we are just sitting on the couch he will go through our hair like he is grooming us. He is like a little person.

When he was younger we kept him and his mate in a cage, but the can unlock any lock we have tried, except of course a regular lock and key. They watch everything and will learn to open a door. Mario can get out of any pen. He loves his freedom, and we let him have it. We live about a mile off the road so we don't worry about him going into other peoples yards, because there are none, and he likes to stay close to the house.

He is like a little kid, I think I posted the picture of him and my grandson, didn't I? They were eating popcorn together.

Anyway, he is like having an 18 year old around, a teenager that thinks he is supposed to be able to do what he wants to. Pretty much does too.

Willie