Thread: shelter dogs eating grass

shelter dogs eating grass

i volunteer at the humane society and when i take the dogs ut to run aroung they ALL eat a bunch of grass.they graze like little cows. i was wondering why they do this and if it is a bad thing.

thanks
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Sometimes dogs eat grass if they have upset stomaches. It's not the case all of the time.. but it could be.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

my dog used to eat grass and then throw up all the time. i don't think she had an upset stomach ache though. mayb eshe was justwierd

Josie eats a lot of grass too actually..And sometimes she'll throw up from it as well O_O

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

My dogs had grass in their yard years ago, but they killed it all by digging giant craters. Now they just have dirt.

When I let them out in the grass front yard, or take them to the park, they all eat grass like crazy.

My guess is that there is something in grass that dogs need, in a small quantity. Perhaps a dog that always has access to grass just nibbles a few blades here and there, and gets what they need. But dogs that only have access to grass once in a while wolf down a lot of it at once.

I, too, have noticed shelter dogs kept on concrete and dirt doing this.

I have heard that the "dogs eat grass when they feel sick, because it makes them throw up" theory is actually a myth. I don't know for sure ... but my dogs don't usually throw up after eating grass.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

my dog eats grass too,but never throws up afterwords. i never looked at it as they ate it cause they needed too. i just thought it was like some sort of stress thing for shelter dogs or something like that.
    thanks for everyone's input
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Drake LOVES grass! He never throws up afterwards.

Me too, i walk dogs from a shelter. All of them eat grass, only very few of them throw up, among these, few of them have allso diarhea. But the majority do not throw up.

This is my theory. Lets say they are perfectly fine and they eat grass. Nothing will probably happen. If they have an upset stomache though, then they will probably throw up. When Oscar got sick (I think he ate cardboard =/ silly dog) we came home and there was puke all over my aunt's hardwood floor. It had cardboard and grass in it so we figure he ate the grass to help him. They said he doesn't usually eat grass. So maybe some dogs just like grass and some don't.

-thank you Poppy for the avatar.

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...

I did a dogpile search and here are a couple of articles about it....

http://www.petplace.com/articles/art...sp?conID=21790

http://www.usatoday.com/news/science...gs-grass_x.htm

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Boo Boo also eats grass (along with an assortmant of other things) I have never seen if throw up though.

~Maggie~
    DESTINY
    "Destiny is a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice: it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
    WINSTON CHURCHILL

Our two dogs both eat grass when we are out and also on our property. In fact my dad and I call them our sheep because they eat so much grass.

I read that it cleans them out when they need too clean out their system.

OUR last golden retriever would eat it and then throw it all up.

Cats need it and in fact they say if you have inside cats, you should grow grass for them to nibble on. Maybe that is why cats go after plants inside and eat them.