Thread: Fleas...

Fleas...

my dog has a few fleas,he's not infested but i find a couple a day.but the problem is i cant get rid of them! i tried the stuff that u put on their back and it doesnt work,i wash him with flea and tick shampoo and that doesnt work.and a couple of days ago i bought some spray that u put on them for ten minutes and that didnt kill them either,anyone have any advice on how to get rid of them?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What kind of products are you using? Are they from your vet or from pet supply stores? If they're not from the vet, I would go there and buy something from them. I've found that over the counter stuff doesn't work half as well as the stuff they carry at our vet's.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

im using HArtz,which you can buy anywhere.ya i should proberly go to the vet and get stuff from him.or mabye i should try a different brand of tick and flea stuff?

Have you tried Advantage or Frontline?
    Both are very good products for getting rid of
    fleas on your pet.

Just a little warning, make sure if you do buy either one
    of the above products, the store buys it straight from
    the manufacturer. (vets buy it from the manufacturer)
    (Their are counterfits being sold. )

----<---<--<{(@

The chances are

the frontline and advantage are not working because you are not applying it correctly. I've often wondered if I was applying it correctly too! It seems all too often to soak into the hair instead of the skin.

An older treatment which made a world of difference for my previous dog were the Program pills. The way they work is that if a female flea bites your puppy for the blood, the Program chemical in the dog's blood sterilizes the female flea. Thus they are unable to reproduce. This is particularly valuable where the situation is that all fleas are off the dog, but new ones are hatching from the carpets in your house. Just one bite, and again they do not reproduce. Eventually the reproductive cycle of the flea population is broken and no more fleas on dog or in the house. Note the flea will still bite your dog, and the adult flea will not die or poison itself by biting the dog. So it takes a little while upwards to a month for the flea population to thin out and disappear. But it will work. Also buying the sticky pad/light flea trap will help de-flea your house.

We bought some stuff from the vet and she put it on Major when we first got him. She said it would take 48 hours but after 2 days he still had them. It took a while but we haven't seen any in the last 2 months.

-thank you Poppy for the avatar.

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...

Brewer's Yeast

Give your dogs Brewer's yeast. You can get it in tablet form at a pet store or Walmart. The powder form can be bought at GNC or other nutritional stores. Avoid the ones with garlic. It gives animals gas.
    The brewer's yeas is great for their coat and skin. The fleas don't like the smell so they leave. You can't smell it but the fleas can. I would also use ADAMS spray. It works the best for killing fleas on you, carpet, and the pet. It is available at the pet store. I put a flea collar on my dog as well. The flea carpet killer works well too.
    I have 4 dogs and 1 of them is allergic to fleas. I have to keep an eye on him because he is allergic to yeast so the brewer's yeast doesn't work for him.
    To treat your yard get some stuff that has NEMATODES in it. They are live organisms that feed only on fleas. They live up to 10 weeks in the yard or till all the food/flea supply is gone. It is a natural way to kill fleas without harming animals or yard.
    Good luck!!!
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".