Thread: Pocket Pooches?

Pocket Pooches?

pocket Pooches: The Must-Have Accessory
    Monday, September 27, 2004
    By Jennifer D'Angelo
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,133590,00.html

There's only one thing more fashionable than a Louis Vuitton purse — and that's a Louis Vuitton purse with an itty-bitty dog sticking out of it.

Inspired by Paris Hilton's Tinkerbell (search) and Reese Witherspoon's (search) well-dressed Chihuahua, Bruiser, in the "Legally Blonde" movies, trend-setters like Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson are scampering to the pet store to buy teensy-weensy teacup and toy dogs — and fashionable carriers to tote them in.

"Everyboy has them now," said Susan Bing, co-owner of Trixie and Peanut, a popular New York City pet boutique frequented by celebs like P. Diddy (search) and Milla Jovavich (search). "It's a trend that kind of got started and was encouraged by the 'Legally Blonde' movies. And of course it helps having celebs like Paris doing it."

Besides Hilton, described as the "patron saint of doggy boutiques" by one Beverly Hills store owner, other celeb-teeny dog pairings include Adrien Brody (search) and his Chihuahua, Tori Spelling and her pug, Jessica Simpson and her new malti-poo (a Maltese poodle), Britney and her Maltese and P. Diddy and his Maltese.

Bing says the really "in" dogs are Maltese, Chihuahuas and Yorkies.

"The trend is the smaller the better. Everybody wants the teeny, teeny teacup dogs, 3-4 pounds and under," she said. Bing added that the mini mutts start at about $1,500, the smaller the pricier.

And with the increased demand for little dogs has come an increased demand for stylish totes to carry them in, among other goodies.

"The dog is viewed as an accessory, and carrying the dog is an opportunity to dress the dog and make the dog look fashionable," said Mike Campbell, owner of the just-opened Doggie Style boutique in Beverly Hills.

While Paris and Reese have made it cool to dress pooches in sweaters and designer collars — a pastime Bing said was once reserved for "kooky old ladies" — the really hot items among fashionistas are dog carriers that look like handbags.

"We have so many people now who want carriers that look like purses, we've been special-ordering them," Campbell said.

Indeed, Bing said high-end designers like Ralph Lauren and Donald Pliner (search) are now making pooch purses, along with Louis Vuitton, Kate Spade and others.

But why little dogs? Experts say they're easily transportable for people on the go, fun to dress up and loving companions that fill a void for adults who don't have kids.

"They're not ready for children yet, so it's like having a baby — there's a sense of great responsibility," said Wendy Diamond, editorial director of Animal Fair magazine, which features Paris and her equally famous Chihuahua on their latest cover. "More people in the U.S. are single and living older. Dogs are their children."

L.A. fashion expert Elycia Rubin said dog as man's or woman's best friend is the "ultimate accessory."

"It's comforting, this little creature that loves and adores you. You get constant security, love and companionship. And guess what? Dogs get you a lot of attention."

Dr. Bernadine Cruz, a California veterinarian who specializes in small animal medicine, said the tote-your-dog trend is totally healthy, as long as certain rules are obeyed.

"The bonding is marvelous — small dogs [allow for] tighter bonding. But they still need to be well-behaved — come, sit, stay and the rest of it. Doggy handbags are fine, but some [doggy] attire could obstruct them, or they could rip it off and swallow the fabric. And daily exercise is very important — little dogs tend to get very fat."

Bing also warns against breeders who specialize in small dogs, as malnutrition could be a concern.

But is it normal to treat your dog like a baby? Cruz says it can be.

"As long as you realize that this is an animal, a pet, then yes, you may treat it like a child."
    -------
    Anyone else find this to be kind of a dumb fad?

I honestly don't think dogs should become a fad or some sort of accesory. They are living, breathing animals that have feelings and shouldn't just become the latest fad.

Chrissy [human] Snowy [bichon/maltese] Buttons ['tiel] Bubbles [CT betta]

-the zoo crew-
    RIP Taffy, Fluffy, Rainbow, Sushi, and The Fishies
    thatDARNhorse <3

I agree.

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

I don't even want to think about Paris and her pets. She lost Tinkerbell once for a week, then found her reportedly at her own grandmother's house??

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/ent...arispooch.html

She also has a kitten and two ferrets, even though supposedly ferrets are illegal to keep as pets in Cali?
    http://celebrityjustice.warnerbros.c.../0409/20a.html

Now I'm hearing she has a monkey and a goat as well.
    http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm...=news.quirkies

That girl worries me.

Here's a link to a few designer pet bags:
    http://shopkitson.com/?pageId=3&comm...categoryId=141

ditto... I heard about her getting the puppy taken away sad..

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

Don't even get me started on this!!!

My friend wants a small dog just so she can put it in her purse She says "O my mom will take care of it when I get tierd of it"

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
    Don't even get me started on this!!!

My friend wants a small dog just so she can put it in her purse She says "O my mom will take care of it when I get tierd of it"

Ash
    Uh oh!!

Originally posted by lizzielou742
    Uh oh!!
    Don't worry, I tell her what I think about that! I asked her how would you like it if your mom had you just to dress you up in dresses then once she got tierd of you made her mom (your grandmother) take care of you!!

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

No,Tinkerbell came back home by herself i believe..she wasnt at her grandmothers house??!??!?? Paris was on the Tony Danza show and she said that Tinkerbell came back home by herself.
    i have no problem with the whole Dog and Puse thing,i see alot of people at the mall,but most of them are tiny puppies and they are holding them in there arms,not it there purse,which i prefer that than just sticking themin you purse??
    As long as the people truely do love them,and just dont have them hs an "accessory".than its fine with me,i dont have a problem with it.

I think it's kind of stupid, myself. Also, if all dogs can't be allowed everywhere, then none should be.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Originally posted by dukedogsmom
    ... Also, if all dogs can't be allowed everywhere, then none should be.
    you make a very good point i agree with you.

Tia only weighs 6 pounds and is fairly small but I would NEVER put her in a purse, she's a dog not a fashion statment and she is perfectly capable of walking on a leash. I think that if Large dogs aren't allowed in malls then small dogs shouldn't be either, even if they can fit in your purse. I HATE it when I see chihuahua's and Doxies in people's purses

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
    Don't worry, I tell her what I think about that! I asked her how would you like it if your mom had you just to dress you up in dresses then once she got tierd of you made her mom (your grandmother) take care of you!!

Ash
    Somehow, I never doubted you would tell her exactly what you thought about that one!!

Guess I'm the minority here, I really want a small doggie like a maltese or poodle to make her all girly and carry her with me everywhere!!!
    I think it's a great bonding experience, and it doesn't hurt the dog, so why not???
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada