Thread: day 4 Of B.A.R.F Diet

day 4 Of B.A.R.F Diet

Hi Everyone!!

I'm so thrilled to have found this site and am excited about getting to know you all. I hope I can be of help to others as you have been to me.

I wanted to let you know that this diet is working great and both my babies are much happier and look forward to mealtime now. They havn't been sick or had the runs at all so I guess I'm doing things right. Monty's limp is even easing up believe it or not. We had a long walk last night and today he's not lame. Have any of you tried the diet?

Well I'm going to read some posts and then it's out to clean up the yard if you know what I mean.

Hoping all your furbabies are happy and healthy.

Deb
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi, first off, welcome to Pettalk.

I have a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, and it is highly recommended to do the barf diet with a large breed dog, who is suseptible to bloat. My breeder does the BARF diet. We started Dale out on it, but it slowly just tapered off...I am not sure exactly why. But we just do a high quality dry food now. I guess I just got nervous about the whole digesting the bones, etc. But to each his own if you are happy and your dogs are happy, then stick with it. I see you have a Rottie, not sure if they are suseptible to bloat, like the Swissie...probably, since the Swissie helped to originate the Rottie breed. Anyway, if you don't know already, doing the BARF diet, allows the pet to digest the food slower and it doenst "puff up" in their stomach (like dry food can), which could lead to bloat. Since they eat it slower, they don't inhale so much air, either, which can lead to bloat. We may end up doing it again, in the future, but for now, it is the dry food. ANyway, again, good luck with it!!

Cant wait to hear stories about your dogs. There are a lot of Rottie lovers on this board!

~Robyn

What a gorgeous dog!

I've fed raw to my dogs. They LOVED it and did extremely well on it! We switched back to kibble because I didn't feel like I knew as much as I should have. They will definitely be fed raw again, once I learn more.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Both my dogs eat raw as well. It has worked really well for both of them. Make sure they digest the bones well. Both of mine eat their food way to fast and have had disestive problems before.

Welcome to Pet talk

Hi Everyone!

It's nice to hear others have used or are using the barf diet. I would love any input or experiences anyone has with it. Yes Robyn Rotti's do suffer from bloat. I personally havn't had that problem but we did take prevenative steps to help stop it. My husband built stands for them at a proper height so they didn't have to bend down so far to eat. It worked out great. My male is having problems figuring out how to eat the raw meat on bones so he does it with my help and takes time to break the bones prior to ingesting them. The female ( Kiki ) eats like she hasn't seen food for days. I'm hoping she will slow down once the new diet becomes old.
    My Male loves just about all fruits and veggies but Kiki is fussy which makes it a bit tougher to feed her anything but the meaty bones. I'm taking this 1 day at a time and if it keeps working for them I'll try to keep them on it. It's a lot more work than scooping food from a bag and a lot more shopping.

My girlfriend who is also a rotti nut and active in rescue returns home from a trip to England on Monday and I know she won't be happy I put them on this diet even though she knows it works for other friends of hers that feed it to their rotti's. I'm going to see if she will join the group. She has so much knowledge and has been doing rescue for over 5 years now. She's an awesome lady.

Well God bless you all and you're furkids. Have a good night everyone.

Deb
    Nikita Mommy & Daddy Miss You So Much.....Always Will....Look For Cappy Sweetie & Keep Each Other Company. Cappy You Stole So many hearts Sweet Boy. We All Love You & Miss You. Play Hard Sweet Babies.