Thread: question about dog aggression

question about dog aggression

I adopted another dog last week (some of you probably remember the thread). So far Bo is doing great!!!

there is only one small problem, he seems to be a little bit dog aggressive. With my two dogs he is perfect, but when i am walking him he starts growling and goes really tense at the sight of any other dogs. It seems to be worse when he is leashed, that when he is free (in the garden with my dogs and my neighbours dogs).

I know he was not very well cared for in his previous home, and i doubt he was socialized very much. Any tips on how to make him more friendly to other dogs? I have quite a few friends with dogs, and i would love to have some more doggie "play dates" like i did before, but i don't dare until i know how Bo will react to other "strange" dogs.

at the moment Bo hasn't been neutered, i am holding off a couple of weeks until he fattens up a bit. he is still real thin, but looking better everyday! maybe after he is fixed, he will be a bit more tolerant of other dogs.

Jackie, I can't say I have any solutions for you to be honest but I also own a dog that is aggressive with other dogs when he is on a leash....I know many many dogs are like that. And then once they are off the leash they are fine with the same dog they were just growling at... It could be a protective thing. I know it is for my dog Duncan. He will protect me against any threat or perceived threat when he is on leash, but once off, he will chase anything with 4 legs!! I have to get going now but I will look tomorrow for some of the threads I posted a couple years ago when I first got Duncan. There is some great advice from a lot of people in there that helped me get through some difficult times with him... But don't despair...
    I would just try out your friend's dogs if they are willing to give it a shot... Bring them over into a fenced yard and let them play. They will work out their alpha dog quickly and probably with a lot of noise but unless it gets serious, it's usually just posturing expecially between male dogs... Good luck.

ok, ty, i will look out for your posts.

sounds like dog fear aggression, its worse on leash because the dog feels like they have to act aggressive because they cant exactly run away. the best thing you can do is make she he knows that you will protect him that he does not need to defend himself, also if he behaves this way do NOT punnish him, it will reinforce the behavior instead give him a tone of praise and treats when he looks at another dog without growling or snarling, even if its only for a split second make sure you reward it.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Jackie, I have been looking through some of the old posts I had about Duncan's aggressive behavior but I haven't yet found one that applies exactly to your situation....I have gotten excellent training advice from lots of people...I'll keep looking though. Dixieland Dancer was a huge help...for one example...Although I haven't seen her around recently. (But then again, I've only been back a few days...)

i have been trying to socialize him abit with others dogs, but he just doesn't seem interested. there is no agressiveness off leash, he just tries to run away. but then i have only had him for about 5 days so still lots of time to practice and improve. he loves Tito (one of my other dogs) with a passion, so i guess he can slowly adjust to other dogs as well.