Thread: quick question

quick question

I have a quick question(duh) Will there be any kittens left to adopt at an animal sheter around Octber 20th? Thanks!!
    *~*Jenna*~*

There are (sadly) always kittens being born that will need homes. Why?

If you mean very young kittens then you should know that kitten birthing "season" is over and the babies that were born earlier this year are growing older now. Many of these sweethearts remain in rescue (shelters) because once they are past that cute baby stage, people overlook them. But there WILL be plenty of older kittens and cats of ALL ages waiting and hoping to find a new home with someone to love them. Hopefully not eveyone will insist on a brand new baby cat.

We adopted cats who were 7 and 8 months old respectively, and we have never been sorry. They are very attached to us, although it took just a bit longer for them to become deeply attached than it might have if they had been infants. They also did well with each other, too. They had been housed in cages next to one another in the shelter, so they already knew one another in advance of being adopted. They were also well trained to cleanliness, which was a plus. We have adopted infant kittens in the past, too, and of course they are darling - but they require a certain amount of work and attention that our older kittens did not. I would certainly not recommend against opening your home to an older kitten - they are still growing youngsters, even if they are living in bigger bodies!

One of my fellow rescuers had two females who gave birth on 9/11 and 9/12; so these kittens won't be ready till mid November! My Smokey the Younger was born five years ago today. Depending on climate, there are still kittens born in early fall. The numbers drop off fast, though.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

The best thing about adopting an older cat is that you don't get any "surprises" with behavior. A kitten can be russian blue roulette, I swear.

Sometimes you'll get a super sweet furbaby... other times, you'll get the monster from the black lagoon, all teeth and nails.

Originally posted by dragonchilde
    The best thing about adopting an older cat is that you don't get any "surprises" with behavior. A kitten can be russian blue roulette, I swear.

Sometimes you'll get a super sweet furbaby... other times, you'll get the monster from the black lagoon, all teeth and nails.
    How true! I can attest to that as my youngster Chaz is the Tazmanian Devil reincarnated, hence the name. He was the maiden voyage experience for me with a kitten (all my rescues prior to him were adults), therefore I'm steadfastly in favor of adopting older cats that, as Jen mentioned earlier, are so often unfortunately overlooked. As for the bonding thing, as long as the adult cat is not feral, it should appreciate and take to a loving, devoted and caring human and before you know it you will have established a bond. It all depends on the individual cat's personality, of course. I just wanted to throw in my experience, giving a helping hand to the elders who need it the most.
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

Kittens can be little terrors!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    "Kitten season" is never over around here. I'm hearing about plenty of pregnant cats, and litters being born right & left around here...but cannot save the world...chants repeatedly
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~