Thread: Another pit bull story

Another pit bull story

I watched the news lastnight, and this woman in Vancouver wants these two pit bulls from 2 blocks away put to sleep because her cats were killed. She doesn't even know which dogs did it, she's just assuming it's those ones. The dogsitter said he found no evidence that the dogs were even out that night. The woman was comparing the cats to children, asking what would happen when a child gets attacked (because you know, every dog that attacks other animals has it in for children ). She can blame the pit bulls all she wants but it's her fault in the first place for having her cats outside!
    I've been BOO'd!

Re: Another pit bull story

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    I watched the news lastnight, and this woman in Vancouver wants these two pit bulls from 2 blocks away put to sleep because her cats were killed. She doesn't even know which dogs did it, she's just assuming it's those ones. The dogsitter said he found no evidence that the dogs were even out that night. The woman was comparing the cats to children, asking what would happen when a child gets attacked (because you know, every dog that attacks other animals has it in for children ). She can blame the pit bulls all she wants but it's her fault in the first place for having her cats outside!

are they getting put to sleep? or is she just blindly accusing?

is there proof (like doggie saliva or something)?

yup, if she has cats they shouldn't be outside, but she also needs to find out who or what killed the cats.

are there any other dogs in the area besides the pits? watch it be some little cocker or poodle that did it.

They said they are looking into it -- I'm not sure if they are going to put down the dogs, but there are thinking about it. I'm not too sure if there were other dogs in the area. We can only assume there are, since it is a very big city with lots of dogs.
    I've been BOO'd!

Oh my gawd, that is insane!

It's called PREY DRIVE. Every Greyhound has it. Should we ban these gentle creatures because if they kill a cat, they'll obviously kill a child? Please, if you make a post on GT asking how many people's Greyhounds had killed a cat, rabbit, bird, mouse, etc., at least half will say 'Aye'. Giselle has killed multiple birds, but she's the most submissive thing in the world. All of sudden, dogs aren't supposed to listen to their instincts because it's taboo?

I'm surprised people aren't offended that this woman is comparing the death of her cat to the potential death of a child. Many family dogs have killed family birds and cats, why not ban every single breed out there because all of them are potential animal-killers...? Better yet, why don't we ban cats?! They are a danger to field and pet mice everywhere!

Heck, an outdoor cat could be killed by many things ('coons, coyotes, other cats! not to mention cars and people!) without the whole story, no one would ever know what killed them.

my Pixel is an 'outside cat' - he wandered into our garage thru the dog door hole, and was stealing dog food from the covered bin. when we coaxed Pixel inside to shelter him from the severe cold, he taught HIMSELF how to use the dog's plexidoor. Pixel chose to return, time and again, and HE 'adopted' US.

He DOES go outside still, and there is a risk inherant in that. After living almost 30 yrs with the convienience of a doggie door for my dogs, I'm not shutting it because of a cat who can handle himself well outside. It would make both the dog and the cat unhappy ( not to mention me and my son, who would then have to play doorman to the dog and keep litterboxes for Pixel.)

However, since having him nuetered, he choses to stay in with us at night, (sleeping on my bed or next to it)and I can usually spot him in our yard or an immediate neighbors' yard if he is outside. Most of the time, if I can't find him at all - he shows up from some in-the-house hidey-hole, streatching and yawning, as soon as i rattle the kitty kibble, or get myself a glass of milk!LOL!

If her cats were TWO BLOCKS away near those pitties - I would bet that they aren't 'fixed'. And if they are simply 'missing and presumed dead' - I bet some other family has taken them in, as I took in Pixel. If Pixel 'had' a family in the neighborhood at one time - he is able, but unwilling, to return to them. He chooses to stay with us- He even puts up with our big, hairy Golden, Fizzy, who hPixel thinks is totally uncivilized. (and yes, she sometimes chases/ follows him!) All of our neighbors have dogs of various sizes and temperments, all have fenced yards, and Pixel has no problems outwitting ALL of them. Most of them are never aware he's even near! Pixel CHOOSES to be inside most of the time, and when he IS outside - like when it's really nice like today - he's perched in the lilac tree or on my back deck step- he doen't have much reason to go further.

I also doubt even the most ignorant pittie owner would let their dogs run loose - esp in the city. the reputation they have, however undeserved, puts them at risk more than the cats if they run loose! The pit bulls I have met - unless abused or neglected - have been very loving and friendly dogs. Protective and territorial, maybe - but that's their nature. you can't expect them to be something they're not.

I love my animals like children - spoil and pamper them, and yes, I treat them like adored toddlers. I would be heartbroken if someone or something killed them without provocation. But I don't expect them to BE 'human' - they are still animals, with animal instincts. I don't expect them to act like anything other than a 'dog' and a 'cat'.

laura

Thanks, Amanda, for the wonderful siggy and avatar!

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace.
    - Milan Kundera