Thread: fleas

fleas

I got a question--
    my cousin has a mama cat and kittens, and a dog, that are all covered with fleas. Is there a natural, inexpensive treatment for fleas?
    I know bathing in Dawn dishsoap is suppose to help, but would baby powder or anything like that help smother the fleas?
    I don't have the money to help her with flea drops, and her whole house is infested so it's a battle from the beginning, but I told her I'd try to find something to use.
    I know how to get rid of them in the house, using the green cans of Hot Shot foggers, but she needs to get them off the animals too. I'll take suggestions to pass on to her 'cause I'm at a loss as to what to use.

I am no expert , but I would be VERY cautous about using a fogger with kitties in the house. A flea comb is an inexpensive 'fix' for getting the fleas off of the animals themselves, but you are right if the house and yard are infested you need something more agressive. Hopefully another PT'er with more knowledge in this area will offer some advice. Best wishes to you and the kitties Maybe call a vets office for some general advice.

OH NO, i certainly don't set the foggers off in the house with the cats present. I always comb my cats for fleas, which they don't have any thank goodness, but my cousin doesn't do her animals. Hers are outside cats, so she wants something that would be inexpensive and work more naturally. I'm not having much success in finding anything to suggest to her.