Thread: Vacation question

Vacation question

I'm heading back east in a few days for a family reunion. I'll be gone about five days.

My apartment is on the first floor and shaded on one side, so it doesn't get terribly hot. It DOES get warm and a little stuffy, though. At the moment, I'm leaving windows cracked with window locks, so that Don Juan and Zerlina can get a little fresh air. That would be a bad idea if I'm actually away for a few days, though.

A friend of mine is looking after the kitties while I'm away. She's very good about visiting with them, giving them lap time and lovies. I'm sure she'd be willing to open the windows and turn on the fans while she's there. I've also thought about leaving the air conditioner on the "fan only" setting, but it would run CONSTANTLY until someone turns it off.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Liz
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

Does your A/C have a temp setting? When I'm away, I set the A/C at 78...it keeps that temp up. Sometimes, it'll reset itself to 85 (ick!) and so I put a note on the box telling my cat sitters to make sure its on 78 at all times.

Have a nice time! Where are you going?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I would set the a/c at 74 and let it run.
    This is a very hot time of the year around the country. Your friend can judge how things feel in the apartment and adjust accordingly.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I WOULD KEEP.THE AC RUNNING,SO THAT THERE,IS THE ILLUSION,OF SOMEONE OCCUPYING,THE APARTMENT,AND 70,WOULD BE NICE,AND COOL,FOR THE CATS!!!

HAVE A NICE TRIP.
    AND YOUR CATS,I HEAR,ARE COMING,TO THE PRINCEES CHINESE BUFFET PARTY,THURSDAY,ITS A SHAME,THAT THEY,WILL HAVE,TO EAT THE KITTY BAG,THAT THEY BRING BACK,THEMSELVES!!!

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thank you for your suggestions.

My A/C doesn't have a temperature control, but it does have a thermostat and a dial control. I could just put it on a low setting and "energy saver" mode. It's actually a combo heater/air conditioner. The last time I went back east (during the winter), I set the thermostat low and left the heater on, just so it would come on if the weather turned very cold.

Liz
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

If not too expensive, you can have timers put on your A/C to turn on/off at certain times.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers