Thread: food aggresive

food aggresive

Well Molli already is really food aggresive. Now the other day Sammy was eating his food and Molli walked by and sammy growled really loud. Is this the start of food aggresion??

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Unhappy Sorry but it is.

yes. All my dogs have it. Not bad thoughh. What you should try to do is 1) keep them in seperat rooms while they eat or 2) just keep them further apart. With our dogs we HAVE to keep them at least 2 ft apart. One time Tyler attacked Fanny because she walked up behind him and just barly touched his tail. She had to get 15 stiches. PLZ DON'T WORRY! That wasn't to scare you. If you just work with him and it should get better. For Tyler it was too late. He had it the day we got him. Good Luck!
    Love my dog, I'll love you,
    Corner my dog, I'll corner YOU!

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. - Mark Twain

An animal's eye have the power to speak a great language. - Martin Buber

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Bern Williams

Dogs are miracles with paws. ~Attributed to Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. ~Phil Pastoret

If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one. ~Andy Rooney

Thanks. Molli has food aggresion pretty bad, too. Both sammy and molli got in a huge fight today because molli was in her kennel eating and sammy walked over and sniffed it and she bit him threw the bars and they got in a huge fight. I had to break them up and sammy bit me, i don't think it was on purpose, though.

I just get kinda scared when I try and teach him not to do it because I have gotten bites from molli. I don't know what to do.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Both should be seperated at feeding time. Mandy and Luka are food aggressive. However, both do not care if Nova is around them at feeding time because Nova (being the smart girl that she is) would never touch their food while they're eating. However, all of my dogs are seperated at feeding time. If Molli still bites through the bars, keep Sammy away until she is done.

Food aggression, unfortunately, is very common. But also, it's very understandable.

Ok thanks! I will just keep sammy in his kennel until molli is full. (she never finishes her meal at once, still trying to train her to do that)

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by dab_20
    l. (she never finishes her meal at once, still trying to train her to do that)
    How are you training Molli to finish her meals at once?

Both Sammy and Molli are very cute. Sounds like you have your hands full with both. Have you signed up or taken Sammy to any puppy classes?

Thanks kittycats_delight for the great signature.

since zero was a puppy , I routinely make him do tricks and sit for his food. I give it to him, and then about half way through the meal, I will pick his bowl up and make him sit again. he has always done it no problem, has no food aggression at all. i did this and continue to because i can't have a 140 pound akita getting aggressive on me or my family...lol Only thing is that we don't have another dog, so I can't say that he isn't food aggressive against dogs, but he hasn't shown any aggression towards us humans anyways.

oh my! are you alright? was it a bad bite? i hope you are ok. good luck again with your doggies.

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. - Mark Twain

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Bern Williams

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. ~Phil Pastoret

If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one. ~Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by ginagt
    How are you training Molli to finish her meals at once?

Both Sammy and Molli are very cute. Sounds like you have your hands full with both. Have you signed up or taken Sammy to any puppy classes?
    How I train her is I give her the food in her kennel and if she doesn't finish it in 10 to 15 minutes I take it away. I give it back a couple hours later to give her a chance to eat it. She normally doesn't so she has to wait for her next meal. We don't take sammy to puppy classes bacause we saved the sheets from missy going to puppy classes. I take sammy to the local park and let little kids play with him.

And samson- my guardian angel, the bites weren't bad, so don't worry.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

good idea to let kids play with him. Is he doing good with the training? ( i love your new siggy )

thanks!

Yes he loves the kids. But some of the kids get a bit afraid because he chews on there fingers and they think he is biting. he is doing alot better with that though. And he is starting to get the 'OFF' comand when he gets on the couch when sometimes I don't want him to. Molli really helps alot too, because he just copies her. Like he has learned to sit nicely while I am eating and he knows he isn't allowed to beg. molli learned it from missy. lol

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*