Thread: chewing on my shoes

chewing on my shoes

Sammy chews on my shoes all the time! I am starting to get angry at him!
    he's ruined two pairs of shoelace. He used to chew on everything and I taught him not to, and now he's started on shoes and it is next to impossible to get him not to chew on them. How do you train him not to?

(hes 14 weeks old now)

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

First off, don't leave your shoes out where he can get them.

Secondly, if you CATCH him in the act, say "NO!" take your shoe away and replace it with his own toy. Praise him LOTS for chewing on his own toys!!

Another option is using a chewing deterrant spray and spraying it on your shoes.

facebook

I think I will spray my shoes because I have them in the entry way, and I woulden't know where to put them otherwise.

He's getting alot better at chewing his own toys. That's what I will try.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

do you have a closet you can put your shoes in?
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Nope, not by the door

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Well can't you carry your shoes in to your room and put them in your bedroom closet??

My thought is, if the dogs get into it and I left it out within their reach, then its my fault, because anything on the dog's level they think is theirs'. Any food on the floor, any toys, socks, etc. Just like anything on the table and up is MINE and not theirs'. So if I leave it out, and they get into it, it's MY fault hehe

facebook

If you can't resolve the chewing problem and still must leave your shoes by the door, maybe you could purchase or make a shoe rack with doors? Something that will enclose the shoes so that the dogs cannot get into them.

I feel the same way as Jessica does. Everything within their reach is free game for the dogs.

If they MUST stay by the door, invest a couple bucks in a plastic container with a lid you can put them in. Another alternative is leaving them on the porch, if you have one. Shoes are not gonna be safe for several months - he's a puppy, and will be teething. So keeping them away from him is your responsibility!

Our St. Bernard Freckles managed to chew one shoe of each pair I owned, because I was dumb enough to leave my closet door ajar. But my parents always told me, and they were right, that it was my own fool fault!

Well I guess I can put them like on the stairs or somethin' because we have a doggy gate there. Maybe my mom will get a shoe rack... I will ask her about it. Thanks for your replies!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    Well can't you carry your shoes in to your room and put them in your bedroom closet??

My thought is, if the dogs get into it and I left it out within their reach, then its my fault, because anything on the dog's level they think is theirs'. Any food on the floor, any toys, socks, etc. Just like anything on the table and up is MINE and not theirs'. So if I leave it out, and they get into it, it's MY fault hehe
    I agree.
    Bitsy is a shoe chewer too. I keep my shoes on a shoe rack in my bedroom closet. I have a bench in the kitchen I can put my shoes on if I need to leave them there, but usually they are in the closet. When guests take their shoes off we have to tell them to put their shoes on the bench, out of Bitsy's reach.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika

I agree completely, well said.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

they have this stuff you can put on things to stop dogs from chewing. I've never used it but my friend collie chews her feet and she uses it. It's called Bitter Apple Spray. Maybe you could try that? Anyways, Good Luck.
    Love my dog, I'll love you,
    Corner my dog, I'll corner YOU!

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. - Mark Twain

An animal's eye have the power to speak a great language. - Martin Buber

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Bern Williams

Dogs are miracles with paws. ~Attributed to Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. ~Phil Pastoret

If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one. ~Andy Rooney

I might try it. But when I tried it with molli when she was a puppy (i sprayed it on the wicker baskets) she could've cared less. I think she acctually liked the taste. lol... My mom said we might get a shoe rack soon.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*