Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's a designer dog?

What's a designer dog?

I probably sound really dumb to you but I don't know what they are. I just know it has something to do with mixed breeds and is really bad ans sad.

A "designer dog" is basically someone saying "well these two dogs will look cute if bred together!" so they breed to make mixed puppies and go from there. It's sad really. Pups like Labradoodles are examples of "designer breeds".

facebook

they make this cute little name up then sell them for like 1000 when you can go get them in a shelter and save a life
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

OMG! Thats horrible. Worse then I thought! That should be illegal. They are taking away an owner who could save a really NEEDY dog

Designer breeds, Mine are called designer breeds,
    Sammyj..bichon/shi zu
    Yollie..bichon/toypoodle
    I didnt pay that for mine and they wouldnt let me adopt at any of the shelters.But they did say I could have adopt a large dog and it would be no problem at all..as they always have soooooo many of them...Im not big on the shelters out here..they made me mad, acted like bigger dogs didnt matter..And just because you have a "designer breed" does not make you a bad person..I just happen to be able to get these, and I wanted small dogs
    and thats what I was looking for...and I did not pay a big price for them..

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Well, most purebreds at some point started out as two types of dogs being consistently bred over and over until the same type of puppy was produced. And, it's basically no different now, except this is all the first stages of producing new breeds. And, because of people's awareness of such nonsense, and, because of the overpopulation of unwanted dogs and dogs that are euthanized every year, people aren't as ok with new breeds being produced. It'll be many, many years before we even see whether these new "breeds" will actually become AKC recognized (or recognized by another club). I just usually hate the silly names they come up with. Instead of just coming up with a totally new name, they always combine the two, and, they always sound stupid as heck. Obviously, the name is the least of the concern.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I see this in two different ways.

I see the bad side.

But I also see a good side. It could make people more liking to the mixes and create more of a demand so ones in shelters are adopted. All dogs were created from mixes. There just didn't appear, say, 2 Border Collies one day. It was created from something else.

I don't see anything directly wrong with creating (Labradoodles).

here are some exaples of desinger dogs
    puggle (pug and beagle mix)

labradoodle (lab and poodle mix)

Goldendoodle (golden retriever and poodle mix)

cockapoo (cocker spaniel and poodle mix)
    T.j (english setter)

When thousands of perfectly healthy and nice dogs (mixed and purebred) stop dying needlessly in shelters every day, then and only then, will it be OK to intentionally breed mixes like that in my opinion.

They aren't even that cute! Why do people have to be so stupid? Seriously, unwanted dogs are born every single day and then wind up in a shelter or worse, DEAD! Then, they just go an create more and more to make it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q
    When thousands of perfectly healthy and nice dogs (mixed and purebred) stop dying needlessly in shelters every day, then and only then, will it be OK to intentionally breed mixes like that in my opinion.

I dont think is it ok to be breeders of any of these just because they are popular at the moment..its why the shelters and streets are full..but it would help if the shelters would help people adopt..not tell you that you cant have a small dog but you sure can take a big one, or a standard poodle, that would be no problem..money shouldnt be a factor but it is..a good home should be the point..I didnt say I want a designer breed, never knew what they were till I read about them on Pettalk.and I already had SAmmyJ ...

Are you all those purebred-loving people and against mixes?

were never against mixes, we are against people that are breeding mixed dogs on purpose, take a look at petfinder.org you will find tons of dog that need homes, 10000 dogs are euthenized every year!
    T.j (english setter)

Quote Originally Posted by Love4BCs
    Are you all those purebred-loving people and against mixes?
    Not at all! Most people here just don't like the idea of mixing these designer breeds for no other reason except the fact that they think they're cute.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutango
    Not at all! Most people here just don't like the idea of mixing these designer breeds for no other reason except the fact that they think they're cute.
    Yeah!!! Why buy a 1000 mixed breed dog, when you can save a life my adopting and spent like 100, and the dog is already spayed and has updated on shots???
    T.j (english setter)