Thread: Raw Diet

Raw Diet

Does anyone here feed their dogs a raw diet? I am seriously considering feeding a raw diet (I have done so much research) to my dog/s when I adopt them. I know raw food is the BEST diet for dogs, I had a course in college about it. After learning all of the disadvantages of dry food, I feel raw is the way to go. Of course I wont know how big my dog/s will be until I adopt them, so I dont know how expensive it will be. Chicken is cheap here, as is turkey. Lamb is a bit on the expensive side, and I would only feed them lamb a couple times a month. I also have access to duck, venison, beef and buffalo (in pet stores).

Does anyone have a recipe for a raw diet? How big are your dogs and how much do they get each day? Do you feed solely meat, or do you add veggies and fruit? I would be adding a nutritional supplement, it comes in a powder form and has recipes with it, but I would love to hear what you feed. Now, I would NEVER feed my cats a raw diet, it can be much harder to determine if you have all of the proper vitamins/minerals.

What types of meat do you use? I would most likely use chicken and turkey, with lamb, duck and venison as a treat. And of course raw bones to chew on with supervision to keep their teeth pearly white.

Thanks in advance, I really want to learn as much about raw diets as I can - so I can better prepare them by myself, instead of buying them pre-made.
    Last edited by Crazy-Cat-Lover; 02-12-2006 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Spelling Error - Typical for Me!

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

Oh, and do any of you have experience with the pre-made raw diets? My sister got a few samples of a raw food from PetsMart, but I cant recall the name of it?

Nevermind, I have just found a food that is just like a raw diet. It's called Innova EVO. I think I will definately try this and see how it goes, it has no grains at all and includes everything a raw diet does.

No need to answer to my first post, this food sounds perfect!

Hey there,

Well, I guess you're into EVO now, but I just want to inform you that pre-made raw diets are often loaded with grains and veggies and lure the buyer into a false sense of security that they're all 100% balanced. They're not. They're very expensive, and often need to be supplemented with additional RMB's. As well, although EVO is as close to raw as you can get through kibble, kibble is still kibble and no kibble can ever mimic raw. Even though EVO doesn't contain grains, it does contain potato. I think people skip over the "L" in Lo-carb and assume the bag says "No carb"

Also, I believe you have a puppy? If so, I would think twice before feeding EVO. It has an incredibly high protein level (42% I think...) and this could spell disaster for a large breed puppy's joints. I haven't raised a puppy in over 7 years but I do know that those who feed kibble skip EVO and use a high quality all lifestages food like regular Innova or Canidae. Once the puppy hits adulthood, you can switch to EVO. Likewise, you can being feeding raw right now as it truly is an all lifestages food!

Lol! No, I have no dogs right now. I will be feeding EVO to my dog/s when I adopt them. I believe EVO is far more better than any food out there now, but I know Natura says NOT to feed it to puppies. If I happen to get a puppy, I will feed regular Innova and switch to EVO like you've said. I know alot about raw, I am just so scared to go ahead with it.

Thanks!