Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP, please!!!!!

HELP, please!!!!!

Our good ol' NM wind just blew one bluejay out of his nest. He still has downy feathers. Can't fly but he can sure hop! (Am I naturally attracted to all hoppy creatures? lol) And MY GOODNESS does he have a set of lungs on him!!!

There's not a wildlife rescue (in operation) in our area.

We raised one once before but neither mom nor myself remember what we fed it (this was YEARS ago--I think I mighta been 8yrs old). It seems like mushy dog food and boiled egg?

HELLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by zippy-kat; 05-19-2003 at 08:01 PM.

Hmmmm....I have NO CLUE how/what to do with little birds. I suppose if you tried to put it back in the nest, the mother bird wouldn't come back!!??!!

Here is an article from the Milwaukee Humane Society. Scroll down a little bit on the page and there should be a title " I found a baby bird on the ground. What should I do." That might have some good info. !!Click Here!!
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Thank, YLL. Going to look now!

The nest is WAY up in our tree. Not sure we can get him/her back up there.

Is it true that all wild birds have lice?

Hmm I know with starling you feed them sometype of mash.

The website of a good starling/house sparow page is www.starlingtalk.com now I know you foudn a blue jay, but you said you feed one egg and dog food, sounds about what we feed our baby starlings.

Keep him warm. A heating pad on low. Put him in a bowl and surround him with paper towels and put a paper towel on top of him. Take a heating pad and put it in a box. Put the heating pad on low and cover it with a blaket. This will keep him warm.

Goodl uck. I will try to find some pages on how to feed a baby blue jay.

O and the myth about if you touch a baby bird the mom will reject it is not true, it would be perfectly fine to put the baby back.

Ash
    Last edited by Aspen and Misty; 05-19-2003 at 08:06 PM.
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Aww Zippy, that's so !! I've only had pet birds (parakeet, cockatiels and lovebirds) but no knowledge of wild birds. I guess that's not very helpful, but I wish you the best of luck with him. Hope you find out some answers!!!

Well, "he" has a name now... Jay Cheeter.

Here's a coupla pics...

one more....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

AWWW I want one LOL

He is ADORABLE!!! Good luck! I hope what I told you helps you even a little!

Will you be keeping this little bundle of downey? or will you be releasing him?

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Thanks Ash! I assume care would pretty much be the same for starlings as jays...?

I'm still trying to locate our heating pad (right now he's under a heat lamp). Whenever I find it, I'll move him into the paper-lined magarine tub like the site suggested. We've mushed some doggie food and boiled an egg... he's ate about 3 bites. And EVERYTIME he eats, he immediately poops!

As for keeping/releasing... ?? We'll cross that bridge when we come to it... I'm just trying to keep him sustained!

Oooh oh oh!! He is soo sweet!!! And so little!! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Keep strong, Jay Cheeter!!

Oh he's so cute!! Sorry, I don't have any advice for you, but good luck!

It must be that season......a groomer at my work today had a baby bird (maybe a robin?) in a box with her that she was feeding (mushed up dog food). I guess her sister-in-law found it or something, all of the other babies had died and only this one survived.

awwww I dont know much about birds, but I know when I was little my brother, and me, and out friend went for a walk, and we found a young halk with a broken wing on the sidewalk, one of us stayed with e halk, and the other 2 went to get my mom who called the wildlife rehablitation center, and grabed a box and a towel, we got the halk safly to my house and waited for it to be picked up by the way jay cheeter is adorable!
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

he looks so sweet!
    Good Thoughts are on the way
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Oh poor baby! He's SO cute! Awww! I don't know much about wild birds so I won't be much help. Good luck! I'm sure you'll do well!

I looked on Google.ca and found birdrescue.org. Under "rehabilitation" there is some good info. Good luck!