Thread: Grabbing and Biting

Grabbing and Biting

Honey always grabs my hands and feet with those little paws of hers, and then starts biting(in a playful manner) but those sharp little teeth hurt! Is this just because she is a kitten, or do your cats do this too?

It isn't just kitten behavior because my Sky who is 1 year old also does this. I'm not sure of Sky's past because he was a stray before I adopted him. I've heard that if you play with a kitten using your hands, that they'll think that your hands are toys and then try to bite them. Maybe someone used to play with my Sky like that.

Now when he does this, I say no or ouch very loudly. I've also noticed that if I let him bite me without moving my hand that he'll then start licking me. It's almost like he thinks that my hand is some kind of prey that he needs to catch and then after he's caught it he'll start being more gentle with it.

Good luck with Honey. She may out grow this behavior but also may not.

Cubby has done this since the day I got him. He is now almost 3 years old, early next year he will be atleast. He still does this. When I first got him I only let him play with cat toys and not my hands, but he wouldn't leave my hands alone. Now he still plays with his mice and my hands. If I scream ouch or no or anything else at him like stop, he bites even harder, if I quit moving my hand he will either start kicking it, or he will keep biting. He has always done this to me. Good luck with her. I'm still waiting for Cubby to outgrow it if he ever will.

Katie

Curbing this behavior in kittenhood is your best bet (not guarenteed though). Yell "OUCH" when she does it and STOP playing or petting or any other contact until she settles down. When you pet, do so softly (vs. rough) and do NOT use your hands as play toys. Always make sure an appropriate object is between you and the kitten when you want to play (so she bites the toy, not you). She will probably outgrow it, but teaching is helpful too.

Dogz, now that you will be visiting the cat boards you will quickly learn that our very own Jen Luckenbach always dispenses the best advice. She is quite a seasoned 'kitty mommy!' What you are describing is typical kitten behavior. While my Trevor was just as gentle and easy going a kitten as he is now as a grown up cat, my Andy was a totally different story! Each kitty is different but what you are describing is just normal kitten behavior. While you wait for it to pass you might want to stock up on bandaids!

Tinky scales my leg like a pole climber ALL THE TIME and bites and she is 2 years old. It hurts some... but she has only done it once with me wearing shorts...

SILLY GIRL!
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

First, I wanted to tell you that Honey is absolutely adorable!!

As Jen said, it is best to stop this behaviour now before the kitten grows up thinking it's ok to bite. Plus, you have to be consistent with this behaviour training.

If the kitten starts to bite you, put a toy between you and the cat, and then walk away. In this way you are showing that it is not acceptable to bite while playing. Therefore, when the kitten bites, you give her the toy, and stop the play session. And never use your hands for the cat's play session.

You can also blow a puff of air into the kitten's face to distract the kitten and then remove your hand. If the kitten continues to bite, try gently pushing your hand towards the kitten, instead of away from it. Usually this will stop the kitten from biting.

Good luck!

Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

Thanks everyone! I will try what you all told me to do, I will keep you updated.