Thread: Oscar's Time Is Near...

Oscar's Time Is Near...

Well, seeing how I am an 'expert' with sick rats, since that's all I'm dealing with, I know Oscar's time is near. I am getting ready to say good bye to my little man. His age is really starting to show. He is almost two years old, since he's a pet store rat with the worst of genes, that's pretty old. He's lost a good amount of weight in the past weeks, he stays on one level of the cage, he lays in the igloo for 23 hours of the day, when he walks his back legs start to give out and he falls down, and now he is starting to ignore food. I have been giving him NutriCal (high calorie paste) lately and he ate that like a vacuum cleaner, I tried giving it to him before and he wanted nothing to do of it. I peeked at him before, he's laying in the corner with his head propped up breathing hard. I know he's getting ready to leave, he told me he's loosing the battle and wants to go, I told him that's ok I understand, and that he has a whole crew up there waiting for him- including his brother.

I'm not ready to loose another child, I just lost two in May, and Fred's (Oscar's brother) was the most horrific death I have ever experienced, I am still not over that. Plus, I have two rats that have tumors and I can't afford the surgery (over $1,000) and I keep debating on whether or not they should have it- the risks associated with the surgery keep telling me "no", but then I don't want to feel like an abusive pet owner and not go through with it. Honestly, I don't think it is worth it, I honestly don't, as cruel as it sounds.

I have so much crap I have to deal with, it is so hard to sit and focus on any one problem. I am so sick and tired of rat ownership, I am sorry, I can't handle it anymore, all I deal with are sick and ill rats, I feel like it's my fault and I'm not caring for them the right way- and that's why they are sick all the time. Every time something good happens, or it looks like none of them are sick, something pops up.

I have owned a total of 11 rats and have raised 4 litters, out of those 11 rats- 2 have never been sick. All the others have had one or more health problems. We have spent over $2,000 on the rats in the past two years.

All I pray for is a quick painless passing for Oscar. I hope he knows how much I love him and how much I will miss him, he's my little boy, my only boy, I love him to pieces. I just wish rats didn't have such a short life span.

I can't handle this anymore.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

I'm so sorry you are going through this YLL. Hugs to you and I pray that Oscar's passing is peaceful.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I'm so sorry you have to go through all this.

-Chrissy

Chrissy [human] Snowy [bichon/maltese] Buttons ['tiel] Bubbles [CT betta]

-the zoo crew-
    RIP Taffy, Fluffy, Rainbow, Sushi, and The Fishies
    thatDARNhorse <3

I am so sorry for you heartache Laura.
    I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I'm so sorry for your losses, YLL. I, too, hope that Oscar's passing will be peaceful.

May he know he was the most loved rattie on this earth.

{{hugs}}

Thanks everybody. I did get him to eat some more today, and I caught him taking a bath...hopefully he can win the battle for a while longer.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb