Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Disabled person in Wal-Mart thrown out!

Could you guys either take this to PM or ignore each other?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human
    Could you guys either take this to PM or ignore each other?
    I usually ignore her. But the problem is when someone posts false info about a non for profit or about the laws then the public is being misinformed. And this can be a huge problem. That is why I have to post teh correct info with links of course so people can check it out themselves. I am sorry this is bothering other people but spreading false info about Service Dog laws and so forth can cause a lot of problems when it comes to access.
    Nicole

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Goodnow
    It is not mandatory in ANY state to have to wear any form of ID.

If it is a town ordinance then that is easily overcome by the ADA act of 1990, in all portions of the USA. No Service animal is REQUIRED to wear one, it is however encouraged.

So the laws are the same in both the inner and outer portions of this USA universe.

Dr. Goodnow---just to clarify, we don't have states, we have provinces and the US laws don't apply to us

Quote Originally Posted by mike001
    Dr. Goodnow---just to clarify, we don't have states, we have provinces and the US laws don't apply to us
    Then please do not try to apply the ADA laws which are for the states to Canada, my sister lives in Alberta Calgary, and after a few calls around there , they are required to have only a Drs note, it is not required there either for the animal to have tags or other identification on the animal. As I know nothing about the Canadian laws, I will field all questions about that to Nicole who is rather learned about them and has much more accurate information pertaining to Canada, than I do.
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Borzoid ---Just to get off topic here, I've been wanting to ask you about your dogs. They are a hound breed so I figured with your experience you might be able to shed some light here.
    My daughter is thinking of adopting a discarded Greyhound from a Greyhound rescue but we don't know much about them except that they love to be fawned upon and are great couch potatoes. True or False???? I told her she probably wouldn't be able to let it loose except in a fenced enclosure, but I'm not sure about that either. A friend who can help her get one was telling us this. I guess by now you've guessed my daughter wants to save a dog and wants a couch potatoe to fawn over. Any suggestions????

Mike001, it would be more suitable if you questioned "borzoid" about their dogs in a thread about their dogs or in a PM.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Quote Originally Posted by mike001
    Borzoid ---Just to get off topic here, I've been wanting to ask you about your dogs. They are a hound breed so I figured with your experience you might be able to shed some light here.
    My daughter is thinking of adopting a discarded Greyhound from a Greyhound rescue but we don't know much about them except that they love to be fawned upon and are great couch potatoes. True or False???? I told her she probably wouldn't be able to let it loose except in a fenced enclosure, but I'm not sure about that either. A friend who can help her get one was telling us this. I guess by now you've guessed my daughter wants to save a dog and wants a couch potatoe to fawn over. Any suggestions????
    Open a post in dog breeds- more than happy to help.

Then please do not try to apply the ADA laws which are for the states to Canada, my sister lives in Alberta Calgary, and after a few calls around there , they are required to have only a Drs note, it is not required there either for the animal to have tags or other identification on the animal. As I know nothing about the Canadian laws, I will field all questions about that to Nicole who is rather learned about them and has much more accurate information pertaining to Canada, than I do.
    Thanks so much. It has taken me a long time to learn what I have, and I still have a long way to go. But if I don't know the answer to any of your questions then I know I can find someone for you who does. This is an ever learning process.
    Nicole

I heard that too all they have to have is a doctors note there. I am not versed on canadian laws in providences..

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleLJ
    Thanks so much. It has taken me a long time to learn what I have, and I still have a long way to go. But if I don't know the answer to any of your questions then I know I can find someone for you who does. This is an ever learning process.
    Nicole
    Nicole,
    As I told you I can pretty much detail every single law.bill, court case and disposition here, but I am not anywhere capable of fielding Canadian laws. You are. I do not believe I have misinformed anyone and please correct me if I have. You have the research on those laws done, and I intend to pick your brain about them too! LOL
    Hugs that baby for me and tell him Good Job!
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Nicole,
    As I told you I can pretty much detail every single law.bill, court case and disposition here, but I am not anywhere capable of fielding Canadian laws. You are. I do not believe I have misinformed anyone and please correct me if I have. You have the research on those laws done, and I intend to pick your brain about them too! LOL
    Hugs that baby for me and tell him Good Job!
    Nope you haven't posted any misinformation about Canadian laws. And if you can pick my brain I will certianly pick yours too. lol. If I ever travel to teh States I want to make sure I am well versed in the American Service Dog laws. That is the only reason I know the the little bit of info I do about the ADA. Judi has always told me the more I know the better informed I am and the easier it will be for me to handle situations. So I try to learn as much as I can when I see the oportunities arise.

Nicole

Wal-mart incident

I was just reading an article in the Tribunal I think it was. The reason for such a fuss being made at Wal-Mart about the pittie who was supposed to be a service dog, was because there were a lot of kids in the store at the time and the manager got worried. She apparently asked the woman for proof that her dog was a service dog and the woman refused and started a fuss, claiming her dog's "rights" The manager only wanted reassurance that the dog was indeed trained and safe, but the woman adamantly refused.
    If someone asked me for proof I wouldn't hesitate showing it. But our dogs wear a red and black tag, so the proof would be there. I think there is always two sides to every story.
    Sorry I didn't get any "links" or anything, but this was in the news that I get on the net.

Wal-mart incident

Thank you & thats what I said too.. There is always two sides to a story.. See I wondered why the dog did not have a collar or jacket on stating this.. The Wal-Mart I go too there is a guy every Saturday in there with his dog with a labeled jacket.. Your right why didnt the woman just show proof?? Because she just wanted to make a scene & which it worked..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

There is no legal reason to have to show any proof in the States. Service dog in the States do not have to wear any identifying vests, harnesses or tags. They do not have to be certified. And asking for proof is actually agianst the law. Legally there are only 3 questions a business can ask a service dog handler. Is that a Service Animal, Are you Disabled and What tasks is you Service Dog trained to do? Those are the only things they can ask. Since not all Service dogs wear gear and not all are certified asking for proof is not a legal requirement for Access.

In Canada the only proof that can be requested is a Dr.s note. Not certifacation or tags.

I was not there in Walmart so I do not know the whole story. I am only posting what can legally be asked. If you would like links to this I will gladly post them.
    Nicole

Nobody is talking about "legal" anything. Everyone knows the three "legal" questions stores can ask, so please could we do without the links.
    If the woman wasn't looking for trouble and her dog was in fact a SD then she could have shown proof as a matter of courtesy.
    Sounds to me like she was on some kind of bandwagon to attract attention from what I read.
    Our dogs have a black and red tag so it's evident to all that they are in fact service dogs.
    I would never attract attention to myself the way this woman did, I would have pulled out my ID.
    I always am interested in both sides of a story, the one sided ones always leave questions in my mind.
    This story sounded fishy and I guess it was. My opinion.